• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] The WestSide 'King'

I have 169 VIP king that was getting pretty flippy. I changed to a 173 vip king and it's pretty overstable lol. I haven't thrown it much though to be fair.

For the King being an "overstable disc" (according to Westside), mine sure does have a hell of an S curve. I absolutely love the disc, but I wouldn't call it overstable. 168g TP.

For the King being an "overstable disc" (according to Westside), mine sure does have a hell of an S curve. I absolutely love the disc, but I wouldn't call it overstable. 168g TP.

Mine's a bit of the same way. If it finishes left (RHBH) it's not by much. The turn tends to equal the fade or pretty close.

I have two Kings. My VIP Air will turn even more.

I'm a King lover, and I originally got one because it was touted as being OS, but I think Westside is confused. As a general rule I don't throw a lot of understable stuff, but the King is solidly understable. Hyzer flip it and watch it go for days though. I cant even throw my Max weights into a headwind with out it taking off on me, so its definetly not OS.

I'm a King lover, and I originally got one because it was touted as being OS, but I think Westside is confused. As a general rule I don't throw a lot of understable stuff, but the King is solidly understable. Hyzer flip it and watch it go for days though. I cant even throw my Max weights into a headwind with out it taking off on me, so its definetly not OS.

If that's the case it's not just Westside that's confused.

http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/con...95&id2=0070453&id3=1244844&id4=777921O&n=1139

9240895.png

They show -25%/77% on their chart.

my brand new tournament king 172gm is very flat and is by far the most understable disc i've ever thrown, I struggle to turn my star katana over but this thing ends turning and burning if i throw anywhere near full power.

The King seems to be an enigma. Claimed by most who throw them to be understable. Looks just like the Bolt, down to the last detail. Still listed as overstable, even by sites that supposedly test them.

The only King I had was an early production run(within days of hitting the States) rare 163g VIP, light red, and had an above average dome, but nothing unusual. PLH was on the low side too, about the same as my Boss and Katana.

The disc was very overstable, super fast, missing the famous Lat 64/Westside glide, and would barely turn thrown flat and hard into a good headwind. Go figure. I was throwing it at the time along with a Boss, Nuke, Katana, etc. So, it wasn't a matter of me simply thinking the King was overstable by mistake.

It was only good for fast, knifing hyzers or into a headwind. It looked normal, and was a light weight, so I never could figure out what the deal was. My heavier GL and Opto Bolts, which I got later, flew as advertised...understable and very long with great glide.

Year-to-the-day bump to ask: anyone out there been bagging a King for any length of time?

I'm a lower power thrower, 325' with fairways, and have just started to experiment with distance drivers for the first time. I've had some promising results with my 171 Tourney King a few rounds in: been able to get the extra height and distance I'd been hoping for. I still haven't reached a verdict yet, but both my Tourney King and the 165 VIP I threw from a cardmate's bag yesterday flew well for me. Almost like a (much) longer Stag: some turn, can hold a pronounced anny, but fades back at the end, and can hit some big hyzers when asked to.

I was just curious to hear if anyone else was throwing these. It seems like there are some consistency issues, but it also seems to be more a divergence from the flight numbers than anything else.

Timely thread bump Qikly! I just picked up an AIR King as my first foray into distance drivers. Hoping it is a good compliment to my AIR Saint and AIR Stag (AKA the "Devil Moose") for wide open bombing.

Following this thread with much interest... :thmbup:

I ditched both of mine. They need too much room to work and I can get better results with more consistent discs.

I wanted my tournament king to become a roller but no progress yet.

I've always been a little scared to go out and buy one because of the whole will it be under or overstable thing, but I will say the sword is an amazing disc for distance. I too am interested if anybody has bagged a king for any length of time, if newer runs are closer to the inbounds chart, or if they are still flippy? From reading this thread it seems like domey kings are more OS is this true?

I have been throwing Kings for a long time. I like the slightly understable ones. They have some turn if you can get them up to speed, but they also have quite a bit of fade still so when they do hook up they seem to pull forward. It's a touchy disc for sure and it requires room to work, but they have massive amounts of glide to get them closer to the basket on those extra long open shots.

I just recently picked up a pair of white 174g Tournament Kings, and they fly a lot like my older VIP "beer belly" Kings right out of the box.

I have been throwing Kings for a long time. I like the slightly understable ones. They have some turn if you can get them up to speed, but they also have quite a bit of fade still so when they do hook up they seem to pull forward. It's a touchy disc for sure and it requires room to work, but they have massive amounts of glide to get them closer to the basket on those extra long open shots.

I just recently picked up a pair of white 174g Tournament Kings, and they fly a lot like my older VIP "beer belly" Kings right out of the box.

Yeah, the nice amount of turn, glide and "forward pull" have been what have stood out to me in my early work with them. I parked a 338' hole the other day that has a very low ceiling right off the tee. The King took most of that journey at 5'-6' off the ground. I thought I was going to be short by 75' but it just kept going. It was awesome to see.

Again, I think the "longer Stag" comparison is very apt.

JP, does that mean the new Tourneys are flying like your older more worn in Kings?

I got a 172-5(?) VIP King & it's definitely not flippy. I had a couple friends throw it just to make sure it wasn't me & it was straight/very slight turn for them & they both throw 400-450+. I don't throw that far so I sanded the flashing but can't get back out until this weekend.

JP, does that mean the new Tourneys are flying like your older more worn in Kings?

Yes. I have a few older ones, but really only bagged one. The new Tourneys were an easy replacement without the work to break in.

I just got my hands on a 168 flat as a board King. It's actually pretty nice. It's right in the middle of my Star Tern and Champion Tern for stability.

I can throw it pretty much the Same distance as my Terns which is between 410ft to 420ft.

Took me a bit to get adjusted to it. flight ratings said one thing and flew like something else. I'm so glad it likes to be hyzerflipped,cuz hyzerflipping is what I do best. :thmbup:

Love throw the Kings...

They have some turn if you can get them up to speed, but they also have quite a bit of fade still so when they do hook up they seem to pull forward. It's a touchy disc for sure and it requires room to work, but they have massive amounts of glide to get them closer to the basket on those extra long open shots.

^^ Pretty spot on with my experience with the Kings. They have been in my bag for a little over a year now, all tournament plastics. 170.6, 172.5, 173.7, & 174.5. They all have domes except for the lightest one, which I use for right to left wind, sky rollers, and big hyzer flips. My heaviest one, I'll use it in a little headwind. It always has a little turn (which I love), and yet a reliable fade. I bag them simply b/c they have a little (or a lot depending on the weights I use) turn, and as important, a very reliable fade.

I use the Kings for pure distance. When headwind is too strong for the Kings, I'll use my Swords. They're my control distance drivers.

Latest posts