• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Things noobs say...

Seems part of this discussion needs to define what a good golfer actually means.

AND... btw from my experience playing with many people 300' is internet rounding up. 280' is much more normal actual max distance for many people. And I know a few who might not be dead accurate at that 280' mark but they are nails from 150' and in. Watching these guys put their disc in an 8' circle so regularly and able to drain putts from 35' regularly I don't know how you can say they aren't good.

Exactly. Throwing 300' is such a laughably short distance that if you spent all of the time to become a great disc golfer but somehow didn't pass 300' even by accident I would say you are probably handicapped in some way. Look at your example; you got to 400' without spending enough time to become a decent player.

Nobody said 300' accuracy was a bad thing for disc golf. The discussion is whether someone that had a MAXIMUM 300' can be considered good absent some handicap. And my answer is still no. There is no way a grown man can max out at 300' and be good. That means throwing their very hardest without regard for accuracy and not being able to break 300'. A true noodle arm.

The next contention was that there were people out there that throw 300' MAXIMUM with perfect accuracy. That means throwing their absolute hardest they not only could not break 300', but they also magically maintained 100% accuracy using their MAXIMUM power. For such a person to exist I would propose that they would need some physical handicap to be present that would limit their distance to 300' while being able to still get perfect accuracy. This is an extremely reasonable assertion.

Most people in that range aren't concerned about max D. It doesn't mean they are bad player, just means they are focused on different things out on the course. Maybe they could increase their maximum distance, but at what expense? A good approach and putting game can make up for alot.

On the other hand a solid, accurate distance game can mke up for alot of weaknesses in the short game as well.

Exactly. Throwing 300' is such a laughably short distance that if you spent all of the time to become a great disc golfer but somehow didn't pass 300' even by accident I would say you are probably handicapped in some way. Look at your example; you got to 400' without spending enough time to become a decent player.

Nobody said 300' accuracy was a bad thing for disc golf. The discussion is whether someone that had a MAXIMUM 300' can be considered good absent some handicap. And my answer is still no. There is no way a grown man can max out at 300' and be good. That means throwing their very hardest without regard for accuracy and not being able to break 300'. A true noodle arm.

The next contention was that there were people out there that throw 300' MAXIMUM with perfect accuracy. That means throwing their absolute hardest they not only could not break 300', but they also magically maintained 100% accuracy using their MAXIMUM power. For such a person to exist I would propose that they would need some physical handicap to be present that would limit their distance to 300' while being able to still get perfect accuracy. This is an extremely reasonable assertion.

I'm physically (maybe mentally too) handicapped, can't play much anymore, and I rarely threw over 300 unless the planets were aligned all my drives were basically max power, but would consider myself rather accurate. I regularly held my own in intermediate, placed in advanced on wooded courses when my putts were on. I'll be darned if I ever thought of myself as a good thrower.

Everyone used to say DGR was where the serious disc golfers went and DGCR was for rec players. This thread confirms.

I finally threw my Buzzzz far enough this week that it made me want to track the distance with UDisc - 150 feet. For me, that is a 'good' throw. More often than not, my throws are ending up in the fairway when I'm trying to focus on my form and not just trying to fling it as hard as I can. That's a win!

Never made a birdie. Don't understand a lot of the lingo yet. But I'm improving... and that makes me really enjoy this game! So am I a 'good' player? No, not compared to most of the folks on here I'm sure. But you know what? I'm ok with that.

I admire @2naphish who can putt 100 times a day at 60... to me, that type of dedication makes you a good player! That's awesome. I'll keep aiming for 300 feet... but if I get stuck at 299, I won't care. It's still fun, right?

I'll keep aiming for 300 feet... but if I get stuck at 299, I won't care. It's still fun, right?

This is a great attitude to have. Too many people get caught up in how good they are, convincing themselves they are better than they are by playing short tees and winning protected divisions. Most fun wins. (But most fun doesn't make you good ;))

(But most fun doesn't make you good ;))

At first I wasn't sure if you were trolling but then it occurred to me that I might get your point although I would have phrased it differently. I'm talking about the "I throw 300' max but with perfect accuracy." I agree that if your max throws are always perfect that you are not really maximizing what you could do. It reminds me of friends who say "I run as fast as I can" and I say "but you're barely breathing or sweating at the end of the race - you should be running faster." I can hit layups every time so why work on a five-foot jumper? If that's your point then I think you phrased it a bit more abrasively than you could have -- perhaps because you were trying to emphasize the point.

I do have a disc golf friend who throws 250' max but never ever goes off the fairway. In one way, it is annoying to play with him but on the other hand he serves as a pace car when we have a group. Of course in match play, he never scores any points.

Latest posts