• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Things to consider before a throw

Local pro told me about the 70/30 rule. Going for that high 70% shot is going to lower your score quicker than going for the low 30% shot.

1. Learn and practice a pre-shot routine.
2. Once you pick your line and disc, commit to your choice.

^ Shipley's points are valid. They say the same thing about freethrow shooting and ball golf. A routine that's 2nd nature helps develop consistency

I believe Bruce Lee once said something to the effect of, "Don't think, feeeel."
Most of my best shots occur when I don't over think the shot.

Last edited:
In DG as in pool, it's about the leave. If you can manage to put your current shot at the point where you want to throw your next shot from, it'll give you a better game.

1. Learn and practice a pre-shot routine.
2. Once you pick your line and disc, commit to your choice.

/irl I'm going to throw like this. I'm going to throw like this. I'm going to... wtf just happened? :confused:

I try not to think about much. I pick a disc and shot that I've thrown hundreds to thousands of time. Confidence is key. If I'm playing a new course I try to pick a shot that I've thrown on another course/hole. If possible I pick a line with a high % of being successul.

for me its:
1. Distance
2. wind
3. shot type (hyzer, anhyzer, BH, FH, OH)
4. disc choice

Or in some odd cases i just grab a disc based on distance and throw it generally gets me the best results. Good example was i missed my mando at an ice bowl and used a mulligan i had bought and hit the pole for a drop in 2

1. Wind (Both at the tee and in the middle of the fairway, they are not always the same)
2. Footing
3. Possible routes to the target
4. Success percentage of the routes considering your abilities, disc selection and environmental conditions.
5. Finally, the most reliable combination of release angle and disc choice you can come up with for the given line, keeping in mind any OB you can potentially hit.

It becomes pretty automatic after a while.

The main thing i have been working on is landing on the proper side of the basket in windy conditions. I want to have the wind at my back when putting.

I play every hole backwards in my mind to the shot that I'm about to throw. I start at the green. I pick the side of the basket I want to come in from. Then I figure out what disc orientation will keep the disc close (trying to get the disc to land flat, not on an edge). Then I think about the spot that I want to be to throw into the green to accomplish those goals. There are always a couple of ways to get there. I pick the one that will least often cost me a stroke.

Keep in mind that there aren't a lot of places that 20-50' actually costs a stroke. Throw a mid to the easy up-shot, not a drive to the out-of-reach putt.
Pick a disc that negates course conditions (wind, specifically). So that you aren't thinking "Oh, gotta put hyzer on this one." You're thinking "Let's throw some disc." only.

Play your game. Tournaments are the days when you should think about how solid some parts of your game are, and how much fun it is to play. Not what shot you wish you had because it would take a stroke off this hole. Make every shot easy.

Lots of great things have been said. I have 2 things to add in regards to tee shots/beginning each hole.

1. What am I trying to do here score-wise? Often I catch myself trying to throw it as close as possible to the basket. . . sometimes that is just stupid! I look at the hole and say,"This is not a hole that I should be trying to deuce", because of risk or distance or whatever. Once I make the decision to play the hole for a 3 then I ask how I can do that easily and without much risk. Instead of crushing a Destroyer through a tight gap and hope for a 50+ deuce putt, I will choose an easier route with 2 Buzzz shots and an easy putt . . .

2. Especially for tournament play, take the time before your first round to ask yourself the above question on every hole. Seriously, it can make a big difference to have a gameplan going into each hole. What disc you will throw on what kind of line. Don't just play a round at the course as practice. Get on each teepad and throw multiple discs on multiple lines and decided which is consistently the best and then, barring some big factor like heavy wind or rain, STICK TO THE PLAN.

Go and read Sidewindings reply, the more I play, the more I see the lines in the sky, the line on the ground. Often, if you know what to look for, you can read the wind, make it work for you OR minimize the effects of it by waiting...

It's a cool topic but you should be working on you.

Forget us.

Know yourself and see the lines, you already know the throw.

Don't you?

Just keep thinking don't hit that tree, don't hit that tree, don't hit that tree, don't hit that tree, don't hit that tree, don't hit that tree, don't hit that tree, don't hit that tree, don't hit that tree.
Aaaand then :wall: doh Why did I hit that tree?

Latest posts