• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

This is why we yell, "Fore!"

True. And I concede that but there are subtle clues...

concrete rectangles with funny signs
funny baskets
a bunch of people standing on funny rectangle throwing at funny basket

etc...

problems with this:
dg is not as readily recognized as the other sports
dg courses are all different and rarely have defined perimeters
dg'ers can sometimes make some wickedly errant throws
Oh man you ain't got that wrong. If I see people any where near the hole I am driving I just wait and let them pass or just not throw at at all.

I walk my dogs with my wife on idlewild occasionally if we don't have the time to do the hike trails. I am always looking though for golfers but my wife will just keep walking even when i tell here there is somebody throwing. I have told her over and over again she does not want to get hit in the head with a driver. I may have to show her this just to get the point across.

Oh man you ain't got that wrong. If I see people any where near the hole I am driving I just wait and let them pass or just not throw at at all.

And we do the same...pretty much if you are in that \_/ griplock cone we will wait for you. I don't intentionally throw on people, especially those using walking paths.

She was a non-player who didn't know she was on a DG course, and probably wouldn't know what "Fore!" meant. I doubt yelling it would have mattered.
Ive never hit someone but every time ive come close and yelled fore that didnt move an inch. Most just look up at me

Kids version of what happened..
=====<innova> :eek: (omg!) :confused:(wtf where am i?) ;)(cant open eyelid):mad:(There should have been signs)

i never throw unless i get eye contact(by waving my disc), and i always make sure they are still watching as im about to throw . So yesterday i get this guys attention whos sitting on a bench and he watches me throw then 200ft out he stops watching so i yell foreeeee(insticnt) then yell loook outttttttttttt and he pays no attention as my starfire comes in real fast on a big hyzer and lands 5ft from him , luckely it was wet or it would probally have skipped and hit him.

I screwed up and threw to high so it was coming in on a big hyzer at less than 300ft so it would have done some damage , sure i would have felt bad about hitting him but i wouldnt have felt responsable.

wow, she prolly wouldnet have moved even if she had heard FORE!, i feel bad for her, but i gotta wonder, why did those people not try to get her attention before they threw?

That is a SHINER- honestly I'm a noob and havent took up the FORE yell... Ive played mostly on wooded courses alone... If I cant hear anything I assume no ones there

I got nailed in the face from a football after someone yelled "heads up!", so I look up and bam! right in my face. I would have been much better off had no one yelled "heads up!"

I remember about a year ago at McDade park in Conroe, on the first hole, there were some people sitting half way down the fairway, looking at the river. These people didn't appear to speak English, so we just walked passed them and then threw from there. That way, there was no chance of hitting anyone. There are signs out there, and I think they are actually in English and Spanish, but all they say is "Watch for disc golfers". I don't think that explains much.

sounds like it was mostly this dumb girl's fault for not knowing where she was. If she was hit by an ultimate frisbee, golf ball or football she woulda gotten black eye too. Gotta be aware of your surroundings. Serious, this whole incident could have n should have been avoided.

Brian McClain Park, my home course, is a dedicated DG course with no other amenities. Still, it gets a lot of foot traffic from non DGers. Between 3:00 and 4:30 every week day, young adults from the nearby high school take the park as a shortcut to get home. The park also gets a lot of traffic late in the day from people walking their dogs.

Where do they walk? Down the fairways, mostly from the direction of the basket toward the teepad, if they're lucky. I worry about the ones cutting through the woods that just suddenly appear out of nowhere.

It's happened a few times when myself or someone in my group throws their drive, only to look up and a group of kids appears out of trees walking across the fairway.

I learned a big life lesson when I first started playing DG. When I hear someone yell "Fore!" or "Heads up!" from behind me, I don't turn around to look but duck and cover my head with my arms. LOL

This reminds me. It's 3:30 and it's time to head out to the course for a round.

Woodpecker