• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Thoughts on OS mid-ranges

Sean_WV

Par Member
I have found that as I improve, none of my midranges act truly overstable, here's my mid setup:
Star Mako
X Comet
Buzz SS
DX Roc (beat)
DX Roc

What are some good straight to fade mids that could compliment my line-up? I was thinking perhaps the Roc3 but I have not had a chance to try one. I throw around 300', a little more with fairways. Thanks in advance for your recommendations, I really appreciate it!

-Sean

Unless your looking for something actually overstable, then I would recommend a Star Gator or FLX Drone.

Honestly, I would say drop most of those mids you have. Go with the Comet, and get a Z Buzzz and a Star Gator.

Hmm very interesting, thank you for the reccomendations . What do you mean by "actually overstable" discs that would be too beefy for throwers of my distance?

The Discraft line up (most -> least overstable): Drone -> Hornet -> Wasp -> 10th Buzzz
I've been testing a lucid verdict, it would be a good choice (see the Hornet vs. Verdict thread).

Hmm very interesting, thank you for the reccomendations . What do you mean by "actually overstable" discs that would be too beefy for throwers of my distance?

There are real OS midranges like the drone and gator, then there are stable/overstable midranges like the roc and wasp. The truly overstable discs have no glide and begin to fade immediately, whereas a roc will travel straight with extent HSS and be more workable. Totally different categories.

Last edited:
What ment was, the mids you have are all pretty understable to neutral. So something like a Z buzzz would seem overstable. However in spectrum of mids it's in the middle. So it just depends how much stable of a disc you want.

Get Millenium Sentinel. In my opinion it the best over stable / stable mid there is.

I was practicing shots in indoor soccer field couple days ago. The field was 330 feet long and I tried to throw inside small soccer goal over the field. Sentinels always got in front of the goal or inside it. Most accurate discs in my bag for that distance.

Z and ESP Buzzz discs felt too flippy for those throws. They do fly far but they tend to turn over easily.

My Lucid Verdict is great in the wind....I used to throw Gators but the Verdict feels better in the hand and is just as consistent every throw

Star Mako
X Comet
Buzz SS
DX Roc (beat)
DX Roc

What are the weights you carry? I could see you having a lot of overlap here. The X comet is a great disc for learning control. The mako, buzz and rocs though could be perfect compliments or way overlapped depending on weight. I use max weight new kc/mc pro rocs and a usdgc roc for stable mids. Depending on the wind I might step up to a gator. Otherwise I carry a beat 180, 175ish and 170ish roc as my range of mids from stable to undestable. But I also keep a 180 champ mako3 and usually some shark or two for utility discs. They overlap the other discs I carry but I can throw them when I am near water, or in deep woods, and not risk losing or beating up a disc I love that took work to get to where I want it.

The most overstable "Mid" in my bag is a Champ Roc3. I carry a Champ Viper for anything short that I need a meat hook on. By far one of my best disc purchases.

I have found that as I improve, none of my midranges act truly overstable, here's my mid setup:
Star Mako
X Comet
Buzz SS
DX Roc (beat)
DX Roc

The mako, comet, buzzz ss, and probably the roc all overlap. Lots of people throw 2-5 dx or kc rocs in different stages of wear for all levels of mid range stability. If you like rocs get a kc pro, or if you want to go the buzzz route get a z buzzz. If you want something truly OS then a hornet, verdict, or gator could all do the trick. Those are all pretty different discs but worth trying out.

Latest posts