• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing over roads and walking paths. (thoughts)

The main issue when roads or paths must be involved is visibility. The thrower needs to be able to see vehicles or people who might come into the potential flight path after release. No blind paths or roads that might be in the flight path - ever. It's a judgment call, but if the traffic on the road or path is above a certain amount, it shouldn't be in play for the design. Roads and paths running parallel to the flight path should be avoided and/or the traffic count on them must be even lower than if the path or park road (never a main road) crosses the fairway ideally near the tee versus near the basket.

I like the advice to imagine the worst conceivable throw, then imagine one even worse.

With roads and walking trails, we also have to consider the stupidest possible disc golfer, too.

Sadly, there are a few out there who will fire away without regard to civilians sharing the park. The consequences of hitting them with a disc could extend far beyond the thrower himself, to the continued existence of the course. And I shudder to think of places where a disc could hit a car on a street with enough traffic to result in an accident.

It is a judgement call, and of course there are places where it's an acceptable compromise. But I've seen a few holes where better judgement could have been used.

addes to some courses

I think we need to assume half of the responsibility and be mindful in multiple use parks that we are not the only ones to use the park.

I think it can be done well, and it can add to the challenge of the course. I designed a course and roads or parking lots comes into play on 5 or 6 holes but they are for the most part minimally travelled low danger areas, and I think it addes a fantastic challenge to the holes as all pavement is OB. Like stated above, play smart and remember it's public use, that is unless your on a private course.

I think it can be done well, and it can add to the challenge of the course. I designed a course and roads or parking lots comes into play on 5 or 6 holes but they are for the most part minimally travelled low danger areas, and I think it addes a fantastic challenge to the holes as all pavement is OB. Like stated above, play smart and remember it's public use, that is unless your on a private course.

Why dont you just FIX IT!

snl-fred.jpg

Earlewood Park is a very cozy course where errant throws can land on the next fairway---or sometimes 2 fairways away. You often have to look out for neighborhood folks passing through. No walking trails at this time, and the park road that comes into play is lightly used. But two holes involve throwing very close to, or sometimes over, parked cars of non-disc-golfers.

So it's that cozy, and imagine now that the parks department wants to install a walking trail through the park. I think I've landed discs on 98% of the ground surface at some point or another, so there's virtually no safe place to put it.

It has been my suggestion, as Chuck was indicating, that it would be better if the trail crosses the fairways and we throw over it, whereever possible, than runs alongside. More control in the first 100' or so off the tee, and walkers would clear out of the way much quicker going perpendicular to the line of play. The first notion is to wind it between fairways, which means shots that fade or flip would hit it, which to me is less desirable.

We'll see what happens.

My best hope is that it will be one of those trails that a government thinks is a great idea to spend money on, but no one actually uses.

I have to object to active parking lots being in play on a design just like playgrounds and private property (backyards) should not remotely be in play. The difference with paths and roads is those vehicles and people are moving so the hole can be clear before throwing. With parking lots, there's a chance of hitting parked cars and people at any time. Maybe the lot is normally empty but what do players do when there are vehicles? We can't expect them to throw more accurately at that time. Their parking lot interference problem is one reason why courses like Dela and Bryant Lake should not get top ratings.

What do people do? Well, sometimes we hit the cars. Sometimes, we meet the car owners after hitting the cars.

Fortunately, these are not the primary parking areas for the park, so the majority of the time they are empty.

It is certainly an undersirable feature---though when empty, the OBs of the parking areas are very useful on those holes----but falls in the category things we're stuck with.

P.S. Both areas are blocked off during tournaments.

It has been my suggestion, as Chuck was indicating, that it would be better if the trail crosses the fairways and we throw over it, whereever possible, than runs alongside. More control in the first 100' or so off the tee, and walkers would clear out of the way much quicker going perpendicular to the line of play. The first notion is to wind it between fairways, which means shots that fade or flip would hit it, which to me is less desirable.
Our Acorn Park in the Twin Cities is one of the better examples of how to design a course in tandem with the trail system. I was fortunate that the course redesign and trails were being redone at the same time so I had some influence over the asphalt trail route. On the one hole (2) where the path parallels a fairway, it's visible for at least 150 feet past the pin so even if a biker comes around the corner after the tee shot is released, the rider wouldn't get to the pin distance before the shot had completed. In all other places, the path is visible if in play with the path actually crossing 5 feet in front of one tee which is no problem at all.

The one thing to keep in mind is stuff grows. You have to make sure that sight lines remain open and the park department understands that. There are spots where you can't see as well if at all and the level of danger gradually increases.

Last edited:
Depends on the situation. I played a course in Kalamazoo, MI that had some holes going over a dirt road and it was pretty fun to do. Just a way to mix it up. Over a busy road/highway i'd say it's sketchy for sure though

As to the issue of parking lots, Like was said above they add tothe challenge. At my home course all asphalt is OB. And there is always plenty of time to wait for an approaching vehicle, biker or walker. And the sight lines for all the holes along the road and parking lots allow for all to see, drivers, bikers, walkers, and golfers. Win/win.

I did however encounter one old A-hole though. There is a large parking lot with most of it nowhere near interfering with golfer or othre park users. This old #@&* decided to park at the end of the parking lot about 100 feet from the t-box in a direct line with the basket. We were sitting at a picnic table somewhat hidden near the T-box, taking a "smoke" break. So I respectfully and friendly inform the man and his wife that they might want to move their car. He immediately became indignant and belligerent. I would have taken great pains to not throw anywhere near his car or skip the hole altogether. My only thought was that some folks who play aren't as respectful for others property and if he was not around might not care if they hit his car.

Long story short, his wife had a cooler head and asked him to move the car, which he did, about 15 feet across the lot and still in line with the basket. When I informed him again respectfully and kindly, he became even more belligerent, and now threatening. He was at least my age, 55. What a jerk. But I can have a short temper too and at that point it was like well F you pal. Hell I'm partially crippled and fighting at 55 over one hole isn't my idea of a good time. It became obvious he knew where he was parking and did it on purpose. GRRRRRRRRRR! :mad:

If he wasn't such a jerk I would have just skipped the hole, but you wanna fight over it, then let's go. :rolleyes: Well I played the hole, missed his car and still came away with a birdie. :D

As to the issue of parking lots, Like was said above they add tothe challenge. At my home course all asphalt is OB. And there is always plenty of time to wait for an approaching vehicle, biker or walker. And the sight lines for all the holes along the road and parking lots allow for all to see, drivers, bikers, walkers, and golfers. Win/win.

I did however encounter one old A-hole though. There is a large parking lot with most of it nowhere near interfering with golfer or othre park users. This old #@&* decided to park at the end of the parking lot about 100 feet from the t-box in a direct line with the basket. We were sitting at a picnic table somewhat hidden near the T-box, taking a "smoke" break. So I respectfully and friendly inform the man and his wife that they might want to move their car. He immediately became indignant and belligerent. I would have taken great pains to not throw anywhere near his car or skip the hole altogether. My only thought was that some folks who play aren't as respectful for others property and if he was not around might not care if they hit his car.

Long story short, his wife had a cooler head and asked him to move the car, which he did, about 15 feet across the lot and still in line with the basket. When I informed him again respectfully and kindly, he became even more belligerent, and now threatening. He was at least my age, 55. What a jerk. But I can have a short temper too and at that point it was like well F you pal. Hell I'm partially crippled and fighting at 55 over one hole isn't my idea of a good time. It became obvious he knew where he was parking and did it on purpose. GRRRRRRRRRR! :mad:

If he wasn't such a jerk I would have just skipped the hole, but you wanna fight over it, then let's go. :rolleyes: Well I played the hole, missed his car and still came away with a birdie. :D

That's when you "slip" with your boss ;)

or the sharpest/fastest disc you have

That's when you "slip" with your boss ;)

or the sharpest/fastest disc you have

Crazy how the mind works. I was thinking along those same lines. Groove? Destroyer?? Old Beast!!! I could afford to lose that to a broken wondow. :D

Also in a split 2nd I was sizing up my options. It's been maybe 20 years since I've been in a fight and with a busted achilles tendon moving around for a fight isn't an easy thing. :rolleyes: But he was at least as old as me, and other than the achilles, I'm still pretty fit. My gf could have easily taken his wife. She's in great shape and only 35. :D

But alas cooler heads prevailed. :cool: