• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Thumber Discs

Fighter

Bogey Member
Between these, how would you rank them and usage (regardless of durability/availability/etc)

Max, Whippet, Viper, Flattop Firebird

Probably the Max, wouldn't even try the whippet or viper. Firebird would work as long as it's not so flat that it is understable.

You want to throw a distance driver for a thumber, the more overstable the disc = the slower it turns in the air so most people tend to throw very overstable distance drivers for thumbers.

Flat firebirds are more overstable than their domey counterparts. Whippets make excellent control thumber discs.

OP, any of those discs work well. Durability is the same as it would be if you were throwing them backhand or forehand. It comes down to what plastic you use for each mold.

Last edited:
Longest thumber discs: Whippet-X, Flick, XXX

The more overstable the disc, the slower it flips. This leads to more airtime.

The faster a disc, the farther it can travel in a set amount of time.

Of the two, I think overstability is the more important. I can thumber a Flick farther than a Whippet, but the Whippet flips so slowly it doesn't do a full barrell roll for me. Someone with a bigger arm should be able to thumber a Whippet further though. Lately I'm thumbing a Star Starfire, it works almost as well as the Flick and does double duty as my main FH driver.

I'd add that faster overstable discs travel further thrown overhand than their slower brethren. My go to thumber disc is Champ Xcal for this very reason. If I'm just going over something and don't need much distance(think approach shot), a FLX Drone is the call due to its ability to hit and sit. The FLX plastic is the best I've found for absorbing and dispersing impact with no drama.

OP, any of those discs work well. Durability is the same as it would be if you were throwing them backhand or forehand. It comes down to what plastic you use for each mold.

not exactly, overhands do put more wear on discs due to them slamming down instead of floating/fading down to the ground.

I like all of these. the Firebird in question is a 12x Flattop run (super stupid overstable). I'm just gauging the thumber techniques people enjoy about one or the other. I really like the Viper (assume its very close to a whippet pattern) for the relatively slow barrel it can roll on for its overstable predictability. It seems Distance lines are easy to hit with the Firebird and Max on the right angles. The Viper seems to shine more on shorter control shots with a lower height (think oddball blind, short dogleg rights where a sidearm would suffice)

Flat 12x Firebird is an excellent thumber disc. I have two that I use for both distance and placement.

I use a gateway spirit for my thumbers now and it is money. I do not throw a ton of thumbers but I do to get over trees if there is no gap and use the spirit in evolution plastic, I also use it for sidearms. Super overstable disc.

not exactly, overhands do put more wear on discs due to them slamming down instead of floating/fading down to the ground.

My point was meant to say that Champion, like when used backhand/forehand, will season slower than DX/Pro/Star, Star seasons slower than DX/Pro, etc.

My opinion : Whippet longest and Firebird also very good. Never tried the others on the list for thumbers but a Banshee is also excellent.

Understable Flat-top Firebird?

I didn't know Firebirds could be so flat that it made them understable. I've got one that's REALLY flat, champion, looks and flies like a Flick.

I don't throw overhead shots very well yet, and this Firebird is nigh on too overstable for me for thumbers. I can't always get it to do a complete pan, and it winds up being, like, a pancake shot.

The best thumber thrower I know uses a champ Excal, and he's deadly with it to 300+.

The main thing is to find a disc that is overstable enough to pan relatively slowly, for distance, but that will make the full rollover.

I find that the more overstable the disc, the more lateral room it needs for a thumber flight. Flippy discs pan real quick, so you lose D but it's a much tighter flight.

I don't throw them but I've played with the best thumbed throwers around, and the y all use the nuke os.

I'd add that faster overstable discs travel further thrown overhand than their slower brethren. My go to thumber disc is Champ Xcal for this very reason. If I'm just going over something and don't need much distance(think approach shot), a FLX Drone is the call due to its ability to hit and sit. The FLX plastic is the best I've found for absorbing and dispersing impact with no drama.

I'll second that. The FLX Drone is the best short range thumber disc I've ever thrown. Granted, it's the ONLY short range thumber disc I've ever thrown, but it ain't broke so I ain't gonna fix it.

It's not the disc; it's the amount of snap and power you are getting on your thumber. If under-powered, the disc won't complete the rotation and/or come back to straight after initially slicing left. Thumbers take arm strength and wrist snap.

I don't throw overhead shots very well yet, and this Firebird is nigh on too overstable for me for thumbers. I can't always get it to do a complete pan, and it winds up being, like, a pancake shot.

I've tried flat firebirds, ce firebirds, whippets & I found that beat to hell (4-6 / 10)max weight 10x & 11x KC pro eagles are da BOMB!!! Many ohhhh's & ahhhh's

The best thumber disc for you is determined by the release speed and spin of the disc abd angle of release and what you want it to do.

Try every disc in your bag and you'll probably find a gem of your own.

Very few people can handle a flat Firebird.
Most players who are starting out will do very well with an 11x TB or 11x Eagle or Starfire or Avenger. When that gets too flippy, then start thinking about a Firebird or Predator.

Just my two cents.

My point was meant to say that Champion, like when used backhand/forehand, will season slower than DX/Pro/Star, Star seasons slower than DX/Pro, etc.

I'll second this.

It's not the disc; it's the amount of snap and power you are getting on your thumber. If under-powered, the disc won't complete the rotation and/or come back to straight after initially slicing left. Thumbers take arm strength and wrist snap.

QFT.
Excellent point.
If your disc is not rotating completely, you're using a disc that's too stable for you. Get a disc that is less overstable. I recomend that players who are new to thumbers start of with a TeeBird or Eagle or Avenger if you're into Discraft. There are lots of others to choose from.

Stay away from FB's and Whippets and Banshees until you can flip these easily.

Latest posts