• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Thumbers Hurt my Thumb and Disc Pans Quickly

pigy33

So I've been throwing tomahawks with my Star Whippet and the disc stays relatively straight up and down. However when I throw Thumbers with my Whippet then somehow on the release it hits my thumb on the palm side and hurts my thumb a lot if I throw with full power. Also because the disc hits my thumb on release it completes its rotation fast and goes right.

I've followed the tutorial here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPMzmkkriAg

And I can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong with thumbers, presumably with my grip. So does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? My thumb is against the rim like it is with my Tomahawks.

Yup. Picture helps. From the way you described it, it sounds like you're throwing a thumber very differently than most of us do...

I'd like to remind you that a lot of thumber guys wish they could throw a good tomahawk. I started out just tommy, and it's nice to have both, but a tomahawk is a good thing.

I'm lost, a picture is worth a thousand words.

IMG_4011.jpg

IMG_4013.jpg

IMG_4015.jpg

I actually had this same problem, but with my Beast/Valk. I can't throw OHs much anymore, but when I could I had 270' 'Hawk distance with the disc being straight up and down, while my thumber went between 150'-175' and quickly panned right. I tried other discs, but I still had the same problem. A couple of the OH guys in the league have wondered how I managto get a 'Hawk to stay straight up and down.

I'll post a couple pics later.

So it sounds like taking the same basics of a fan grip FH and flipping it. My 'Hawk grip is basically my power FH grip, but turned vertical.

The disc is panning quickly because of nose angle and release angle, not grip. Try to throw a more over the top arm slot, leaning your body to the left if needed to reduce shoulder discomfort. If that isn't possible, throw the fastest, most overstable disc you can find.

The disc is panning quickly because of nose angle and release angle, not grip. Try to throw a more over the top arm slot, leaning your body to the left if needed to reduce shoulder discomfort. If that isn't possible, throw the fastest, most overstable disc you can find.

I agree, mostly. I prefer fairway speed drivers with a good overstability rating and a flat or concaved top. If the top is really domey, it will make a poor thumber choice if distance is important to you.

The best disc I've ever thrown for thumbers is a Moonshine Spark from lat 64. Goes 300 feet without having to throw full power, and in my younger days when I threw overhand all the time playing football and baseball I could see hitting 350 pretty easily. Pans really slow and stays in the air a long time, which equals good distance.

I agree, mostly. I prefer fairway speed drivers with a good overstability rating and a flat or concaved top. If the top is really domey, it will make a poor thumber choice if distance is important to you.

The best disc I've ever thrown for thumbers is a Moonshine Spark from lat 64. Goes 300 feet without having to throw full power, and in my younger days when I threw overhand all the time playing football and baseball I could see hitting 350 pretty easily. Pans really slow and stays in the air a long time, which equals good distance.

Sparks have a reputation all out of proportion to their actual uniqueness. There are two dozen discs that will fly much like a Spark on a thumber line. The longest thumbers I've seen were thrown with freak Enforcers and Nuke OSs.

Latest posts