• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

To Deet or not to Deet, that is the question!

What I do is go out to willow at the start of mosquito season. No bug spay. I will leave with guts in my ears, mouth, eyes (this year Ima wear safety glasses), and hair. Very few can complete willow in the summer, but if you can.... bugs will not be an issue at other places.
Mosquito bootcamp:)

What I do is go out to willow at the start of mosquito season. No bug spay. I will leave with guts in my ears, mouth, eyes (this year Ima wear safety glasses), and hair. Very few can complete willow in the summer, but if you can.... bugs will not be an issue at other places.
Mosquito bootcamp:)

:gross: This sounds like some kind of bizarre druid hazing rite of passage. WTF are you talking about?

Thats the one thing that is ALWAYS in my bag, I've had the same can of 100% Deet in my bag for three-four years easily. A little goes a long way. Didnt know it was toxic and messed up plastic. I've been using it my whole life and never had a problem.

DEET works well for me.

I've got a buddy who was telling me about some stuff they have for sale in Australia, that is supposed to be waay more effective at insect repulsion than DEET. Apparently it is illegal in the US (pesky USDA:rolleyes:) but can be bought online. I'm sorry I can't remember the name of the chemical/product. Not sure if you really want to try it out, but if DEET/alternatives don't work, you could always try what the Aussies use.

Picaridin, I think its called. Actually sounds like it might soon be approved for sale in the US (good ol' USDA! :rolleyes:)

Read about it here.

I eat lots of garlic and onions, and when I sweat you can tell!I am almost never bothered by mosquitos or gnats. Not sure if its because of the garlic, but thats what I'm told.

I used to eat tons of garlic and onions. Didn't do a damn thing for mosquitos, but my love life certainly suffered.

Picaridin, I think its called. Actually sounds like it might soon be approved for sale in the US (good ol' USDA! :rolleyes:)

Read about it here.

It's already available here, and has been for at least a year. Great stuff! I'd say you can find it in any good sporting goods store, although they only carry one or two brands each. I've even found it at local department stores, so it isn't that rare.

It's already available here, and has been for at least a year. Great stuff! I'd say you can find it in any good sporting goods store, although they only carry one or two brands each. I've even found it at local department stores, so it isn't that rare.

Guess I'm behind the times...still, no one had mentioned it yet. :eek:

I have been playing at Riverbend lately and the mosquitos are horrible. I've been using Off with deet and that does not do the trick. I got my hands on this Avon product called "Skin so soft"! this works great.

I have been playing at Riverbend lately and the mosquitos are horrible. I've been using Off with deet and that does not do the trick. I got my hands on this Avon product called "Skin so soft"! this works great.

Does it make your skin so soft, though?

Careful with DEET. That stuff leaked on my bag and ate away the nylon and plastic around the zippers. It was 90% DEET or something higher.

I would be careful using deet. The people in charge of regulating harmful chemicals in products don't have always your best interest in mind.

Careful with DEET. That stuff leaked on my bag and ate away the nylon and plastic around the zippers. It was 90% DEET or something higher.

My first bag fell victim to this issue. The bottle top cracked and it leaked. I think I was flingin' my bag at a disc in a tree and didn't catch it one time. :doh:

If it eats away nylon bags, just think what it can do to your skin!

Deet probally won't bother you for a quickround but after 8 hours your skin will itch, burn, or have a numb feeling.
Also try not touching your face for 8+ hours

I've had Deet on me for days when showers were not an option and never had a problem with it. I've also been in places where I had to apply it about every hour (around 60-75% Deet content) and was fine afterwards. From being in the military and working outdoors since I got out I've met a lot of people who don't like Deet, but I've never actually seen anyone hurt from a reaction to deet.

I just tried a product called Bull frog. The results were great. Bugs would come close, get a whiff, and fly away.

I hate bugs...so deet is good....problem is...with the heat comes sweat, and the stuff never lasts that long.

Stay in the light CarolAnn!

Fishing hats that go around your whole head is nice....squitoes and flies have a hard time landing on you...not sure how people feel about hats why playing though.