• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tobacco Policy

Survey results every single time:
Get disc golf on ESPN whether anyone outside the sport wants to pay for it or not.

I'll pass thanks.

It should also be pointed out that these committees actually decide NOTHING on their own. Everything that comes out of committee (rules, policies, etc) goes to the Board for approval before going into effect or being made public. The notion that these "anonymous" committees are dictating policies without input or approval of the membership is erroneous.

It appears you may be incorrect in this particular instance. The position of Oversight Director should never have been done away with.

I agree with all of this.

For what it's worth, the entire Rules Committee and Competition Committee are listed in the Rule book and Competition Manual. Board liaisons to all committees are listed in every issue of Disc Golfer Magazine (page 58 of the Winter 2017 issue that just arrived in my mailbox this week).

It should also be pointed out that these committees actually decide NOTHING on their own. Everything that comes out of committee (rules, policies, etc) goes to the Board for approval before going into effect or being made public. The notion that these "anonymous" committees are dictating policies without input or approval of the membership is erroneous. We elect the BOD, they are our chosen decision makers. Responsibility for policies falls on them. If we disagree with their decisions, we vote them out.

Yes but from my understanding is that all of these rule changes were proposed by the committees and approved by the previous BOD, the BOD has since changed, at least partially and they do not agree with some of the changes so they are revising them, yet those same people are still on the committees and are the ones that came up with these asinine changes. My point is maybe they need to change too. Also in the mag, the liaison is listed and the chairperson, but not who is on the committee. So they are listed in the rulebook? Why have it listed differently on three different places, why can't it just be accessed online like everything else. I shouldn't have to have the website pulled up, and the magazine and rulebook pulled out to get simple information. (For the record I still don't see a list of committee members anywhere in the online rulebook)

Also as far as the committees not doing anything without approval, maybe you should read the latest article about the DC process, it states in there that they only involvement of the BOD is to send out the email to let the player know about their findings.

Last edited:
I agree with all of this.

For what it's worth, the entire Rules Committee and Competition Committee are listed in the Rule book and Competition Manual. Board liaisons to all committees are listed in every issue of Disc Golfer Magazine (page 58 of the Winter 2017 issue that just arrived in my mailbox this week).

It should also be pointed out that these committees actually decide NOTHING on their own. Everything that comes out of committee (rules, policies, etc) goes to the Board for approval before going into effect or being made public. The notion that these "anonymous" committees are dictating policies without input or approval of the membership is erroneous. We elect the BOD, they are our chosen decision makers. Responsibility for policies falls on them. If we disagree with their decisions, we vote them out.

This latest tobacco policy decision was made unilaterally by the Board of Directors last April without any input from the Rules Committee or the Competition Committee.

If you read the PDGA Board Minutes from April, you will note that the Board only voted to extend the "CURRENT" policy to NT's. Nowhere in the minutes do they mention or vote on making the current policy stricter or trying to enforce it on volunteers and spectators.

Which Board member or PDGA staff member decided to add all the extra restrictions that were not discussed nor approved by the Board? That should be the true source of everyone's concern.

This latest tobacco policy decision was made unilaterally by the Board of Directors last April without any input from the Rules Committee or the Competition Committee.

If you read the PDGA Board Minutes from April, you will note that the Board only voted to extend the "CURRENT" policy to NT's. Nowhere in the minutes do they mention or vote on making the current policy stricter or trying to enforce it on volunteers and spectators.

Which Board member or PDGA staff member decided to add all the extra restrictions that were not discussed nor approved by the Board? That should be the true source of everyone's concern.

This, indeed, is the crux of the biscuit...along with how to fix the process to prevent it from occurring again.

Last edited:

See now we are getting somewhere. This is the information that should be easily located by the members, you should have to pull up a website, rulebook, etc. I too would like to know who is responsible that's where my concern lies, but without them providing clear resources and access to this info we are all just left to speculate. I don't understand why they aren't more transparent. MurderMike said he was told by a member of the BOD that event though the rules include the spectators no one enforce it, so they put it in there knowing that they didn't expect it to be enforced, then why put it in there? And is anyone actually reading these things before the post them? Again sometimes I think they just spout off responses in an effort to hide the truth when the truth would be better than, oh yeah we made this rule but we don't expect anyone to follow it.

Had they simply did what was discussed and just extended the current policy, I don't think they would have had the backlash that they had. I smoke and I'm all for it, and as i've stated I wouldn't even complain if it was extended to all tiers, DURING PLAY. People are talking about how the PGA handles it, players are allowed to smoke, but I don't feel like that works for us for several reasons, but a couple being that our camera men and media aren't the same caliber as the PGAs. They aren't going to be to just skip that person that is smoking and always be able to eliminate it. Also I don't feel like the PGA has as many youth fans and participants as we do, and when they do, the juniors don't play at the same events as the pros.

Last edited:
See now we are getting somewhere. This is the information that should be easily located by the members, you should have to pull up a website, rulebook, etc. I too would like to know who is responsible that's where my concern lies, but without them providing clear resources and access to this info we are all just left to speculate. I don't understand why they aren't more transparent. MurderMike said he was told by a member of the BOD that event though the rules include the spectators no one enforce it, so they put it in there knowing that they didn't expect it to be enforced, then why put it in there? And is anyone actually reading these things before the post them? Again sometimes I think they just spout off responses in an effort to hide the truth when the truth would be better than, oh yeah we made this rule but we don't expect anyone to follow it.

I am 100% certain that greater transparency and more oversight in the process are going to be results from the issues of the last year. It will take a bit of time to work through the processes to get there though- which is something we actually should be glad of. The current BOD is well aware of the issues and will be proactive to get them sorted out.

I am 100% certain that greater transparency and more oversight in the process are going to be results from the issues of the last year. It will take a bit of time to work through the processes to get there though- which is something we actually should be glad of. The current BOD is well aware of the issues and will be proactive to get them sorted out.

That is great to hear, but at this point you would also think they would be the ones coming out and saying that. It's nice to know that they hear our complaints and are listening but they need to come out and address it. Say hey guys we hear you and agree, its like they do everything they can to not just agree that there is an issue. I completely agree that they need to really take their time and tear down and rebuild many of the processes that they use, but it's for sure something that can't be rushed and needs to be be done correctly from the start.

If any of the vaping people have a problem with the policy, they can just go back to their vehicle, que up some Arcade Fire or Death Cab For Cutie in their tape deck and enjoy it there.

If any of the vaping people have a problem with the policy, they can just go back to their vehicle, que up some Arcade Fire or Death Cab For Cutie in their tape deck and enjoy it there.

I heard that popcorn lung makes it hard to carpool karaoke...

Maybe this was the last straw???

attachment.php

What a joke.

I realize that he's most likely a volunteer, but maybe don't have VapeBro holding the leader board.

Or at least explain the importance of abstaining during play or while cameras are out.

What a joke.

I realize that he's most likely a volunteer, but maybe don't have VapeBro holding the leader board.

Or at least explain the importance of abstaining during play or while cameras are out.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw that post. Again this event wouldn't be covered by the tobacco policy as it wasn't an NT or Major, but who let that dude carry the leader board anyway? I understand that it was a volunteer as well, but come on.

There isn't any pdga rule that can override any state, city, or county laws. Period. This means if im at a public or private park that allows smoking unless at TDs discretion at a C,B, or A tier not coinciding with an NT and im respectfully 40ft away from you. Save your breath. KNOW YOUR RIGHTS, LAWS, RULES BEFORE YOU PREACH THEM.

What a joke.

OTOH, if you're looking for the guy with the leader board all you have to do is look around for a mobile fog machine. :\

There isn't any pdga rule that can override any state, city, or county laws. Period. This means if im at a public or private park that allows smoking unless at TDs discretion at a C,B, or A tier not coinciding with an NT and im respectfully 40ft away from you. Save your breath. KNOW YOUR RIGHTS, LAWS, RULES BEFORE YOU PREACH THEM.

Can't think of any state, city, or county laws against falling putts or practice throws...

Huh? Would you rephrase that second sentence, please?

Forget the second sentence...the whole thing needs rephrasing, or a translation.

I'm assuming it's an attempt at an impassioned "don't tread on me, I'll smoke if I want to" stance. But there are no laws specifically allowing smoking, so a PDGA rule disallowing it at/during an event wouldn't be conflicting with or overriding any state, county, or city laws. If the PDGA says no smoking, then you can't smoke at the event without consequence no matter how respectfully you mind your smoke or how knowledgeable you are about rights and laws.

By entering a PDGA tournament, you are agreeing to follow and be subject to all PDGA rules. If you don't want that, don't play the tournament. Simple as that.

What im saying is you can smoke at C,B, or non NT A tiers unless it is a non smoking park or TD makes it a non smoking event. Individuals that smoke at these event aren't breaking any pdga rules. unless of course they are blowing it in your face, then a courtesy violation. Players sometimes get NT(under review), and Majors tobacco policies confused with C, B or NT/A tiers.

Latest posts