• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tobacco Policy

Personally, I like this... but this is going to piss off a LOT of players.

lolol tobacco products or nicotine products? huge difference.
The man's got a point. Vape Bro can still go nuts with his overly scented, battery operated nicotine fix.

I think the PDGA should make a rule that anyone puffing that stuff should tee off first, then go down to their lie and puff all they want. That way, we can tell what the wind's doing at that part of the fairway.

From the website:

.... includes all smoking and chewing tobacco products as well as electronic/vapor cigarettes (vaping).

On the grounds of any venue? So aren't you even allowed to smoke while spectating after your round is done?

On the grounds of any venue? So aren't you even allowed to smoke while spectating after your round is done?

I assume not. Sounds like even having cigs is technically a violation, even if you aren't smoking them! Crazy, but no one will push back because no one cares about smokers.

This prohibition includes the entire event (check-in, player meeting, competition rounds, periods before and after the rounds, awards ceremony, etc.)

Should the Tournament Director of such an event decide to provide a special area(s) out of the public eye designated for smoking, then players may use those areas during the round, but all rules concerning the pace of play still apply. (Competition Manual 3.02). However, at no time may a TD declare public congregation areas such as Tournament Central to be a designated smoking area.

For players and their caddies, any open and visual possession of any product banned under the smoking policy will be treated as a courtesy violation, and violators will be asked to put away the product until after the event has concluded. Subsequent violations will be handled per PDGA Rule 812.C with penalty throws assessed and repeated violations may result in disqualification in accordance with Competition Manual Section 3.03 - Player Misconduct.

I'm a non-smoker... makes me a lil' bit sick, but to be honest, I think this seems excessive. If the TD is willing to establish a designated smoking area, does it really have to be "out of the public eye?"

I shouldn't have to make a conscious effort to avoid 2nd hand smoke around tourney central, or during the round. But I do think basically hiding smokers away where they can't be seen by the public is treating them like 2nd class citizens. Should be OK to designate a smoking area 100 ft or so away from tourney central so that they can still see and hear what's going on.

And exactly where is "out of the public eye" supposed to be in a public park? :confused:

Last edited:
A lot of parks don't permit smoking already or only allow it in the parking area. Some of the courses in Bowling Green, KY are like that.

This policy has been in effect at Majors for a few years now. The only thing that's new, other than I believe vaping used to be okay, is that it now applies to NTs. So an extra seven tournaments a year have to be tobacco/nicotine free? Not a big deal.

Of course, there will be plenty of meltdowns online by people crying about their rights being violated despite the fact that they likely will never attend an NT or Major, thus the policy will never affect them.

This policy has been in effect at Majors for a few years now. The only thing that's new, other than I believe vaping used to be okay, is that it now applies to NTs. So an extra seven tournaments a year have to be tobacco/nicotine free? Not a big deal.

Of course, there will be plenty of meltdowns online by people crying about their rights being violated despite the fact that they likely will never attend an NT or Major, thus the policy will never affect them.

No smoking has been in effect during play but it hasn't been banned from the venue entirely has it? IMO the PDGA should stick to regulating things occurring during play.

They also should have released the policy with the tour standards months ago instead of now when all the events it covers are already sanctioned.

That is not the only difference, before you could smoke up until the two minute warning and once the card was turned in, now you will not be able to to smoke during practice rounds or up until tee off. E cigs and vapes have been in the rules for a minute as well.

I feel that this is kind of some BS. I'm a non smoker but I used to smoke. There should be a smoking area. I like the idea of promoting a healthy lifestyle but people are going to do what they want anyway.

Are you still allowed to drink alcohol up until the two minute warning and have it on the premises if the venue allows? If so, I think this is kind of bogus. I am a smoker, but I have no issues with regulating that during play, I wouldn't even care if you couldn't smoke during any tier event, if it's during the round, but policing what people do before and after sanctioned play is a little absurd especially if they aren't going to do the same with alcohol. So is the "image" of the sport more important than one of our competitors leaving a venue after drinking and killing someone? Seems a bit backwards to me.

I also agree that this should have been posted with the rest of the rule changes, not after the schedule and sanctioning for such events and especially not after registration of some of those events have opened.

All that said, I just won't play NT events and will prob only play USWDGC for majors. I mean there is always the DGPT.

Last edited:
Are you still allowed to drink alcohol up until the two minute warning and have it on the premises if the venue allows? If so, I think this is kind of bogus. I am a smoker, but I have no issues with regulating that during play, I wouldn't even care if you couldn't smoke during any tier event, if it's during the round, but policing what people do before and after sanctioned play is a little absurd especially if they aren't going to do the same with alcohol. So is the "image" of the sport more important than one of our competitors leaving a venue after drinking and killing someone? Seems a bit backwards to me.

I also agree that this should have been posted with the rest of the rule changes, not after the schedule and sanctioning for such events and especially not after registration of some of those events have opened.

All that said, I just won't play NT events and will prob only play USWDGC for majors. I mean there is always the DGPT.

yeah speaking of psychoactive substances, what about all those caffeine users? mild stimulants are ok?

wow pdga, good one. way to cherry pick your rules.

Maybe this was the last straw???

attachment.php

Last edited:
No smoking has been in effect during play but it hasn't been banned from the venue entirely has it? IMO the PDGA should stick to regulating things occurring during play.

They also should have released the policy with the tour standards months ago instead of now when all the events it covers are already sanctioned.

Bingo!

I also question whether it is legal to ask a spectator in a public park to leave the venue for smoking a cigarette if the park allows it. I don't think TDs have legal authority to kick tax payers out of public parks, but I may be wrong. I'm sure the PDGA researched this question before making the rule!

The decision to "extend the current smoking policy to NT events" was made back in April according to BOD minutes. I wonder where along the way it morphed into banning all smoking at the venue.

Latest posts