• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Top 4 reasons Ultimate Frisbee players have trouble with Disc Golf

I can't watch the video at work. But, here are a few reasons I believe that Ultimate Frisbee players benefit from their experience.

1. They understand how to throw a frisbee, hyzer and anhyzer release angles. Certainly a stability difference, but they are likely to figure that out quickly.

2. They understand a standstill shot. Very valuable for recovery shots and vital in winter golf.

3. They are forced to learn both a backhand and forehand shot.

4. They generally have a repository of thumbers, tomahawks and overhand throws they have used.

5. They have perfected the end of the throw wrist snap shot. I love this shot for short approaches with a low ceiling.

One of the major problems is the design of the discs, players who play mostly Ultimate have said that using more then just the lids, putters and some of the putter shaped midrange discs have a problem throwing the fairway and driver discs due to the flight of the discs themselves.

That is one of the few major problems the Ultimate players have besides the often feeling that disc golf is super boring when playing, otherwise they have a lot of skills it takes some disc golfers years to master. Also an Ultimate player can play in a Super Mold tournament and do better then a disc golfer playing with little experience using discs that big.

Last edited:
I guess I need to watch it. But who said ultimate players have problems with disc golf?

I guess I mean to say: the issues that Ultimate players tend to have that limits their progression/potential. They tend to be able to pick up some of the basics and have some of the skill sets mentioned already, but certain things hold them back.

Without viewing the video, I'd guess their clothes would be in the top 4.

I have found that a lot of ultimate players have trouble getting max distance with drivers, in some relation to what Casey ^^ said above.

I can throw an ultimate disc the length of a football field and place it pretty accurately. If I pull out my most trusted golf driver, I can maybe throw it 30-50 feet further but without the accuracy. A lot of friends who I've tried to transition from ultimate have the same issues.

After playing both sports for 20 years now, I still have trouble with higher speed discs. Ultimate discs are so understable compared to any high speed drivers that it really messes with your form when you try to huck both one after another. My first huck in an ultimate game always ends up on a huge anhyzer that can't fight back.

In general, I thought it was a decent video. Your tips should definitely be useful to some new players. I might recommend doing a voice over instead if you have the ability though. That way you can show more visual stuff without having to think about the words you're saying as much.

"Trouble disc golfers have resulting from the belief 'their' game is the be all and end all of disc sports"...

Some of the best golfers I know have played a ton of ultimate in the past. One of them is currently a pro ultimate player, and while his golf looks a little unorthodox you can't argue with his results (he's 980s rated I believe)

Starting to golf with disc skills > starting golf with no disc skills at all.

i played ultimate back in college

some ultimate teammates would just use a putter at the course and throw a beat dx aviar on a frozen rope 300+ft they just didnt like it and they would even shoot just as well as the local dg rats

ime it seems to be more disc selection than anything with ex ultimate players they dont like the firebirds and motions they would rather throw a comet or putters

ultimate helped with many trick shots and scrambling recovery ability and especially helped with my touch flick approach shots with my ion

Really, most lids & putters fly a lot like Ultimate discs. Similar feeling grip as well.

Can be a challenge to grip drivers at first, BUT if you're able to accurately hit lines & place shots at 300' then drivers aren't super necessary to score well on most courses.

I could see Ultimate players getting fed up with pace of play & throw timing. Timing is EVERYTHING in Ultimate, and your teammates can run in open space to catch a throw. The static target aspect is such a new factor. Like, you can miss chains by 1' and blow past by 100'. That doesn't happen in Ultimtae very much.

Well those ultimate discs don't last very long on the wooded courses. :\

I bet ultimate players are good at adjusting their throw to fit the shot, rather than selecting a specific disc for that shot and letting the disc do the work, and hence do quite well with minimalist bags.

I think the reality is that most discs are much more versatile than we give them credit for. But some of us are so in love with the subtle differences between them that we get our panties all in a bunch about oh this is the right disc for that shot. Perhaps it also helps us rationalize how much money we spent on all that plastic we carry in our bags. :eek:

Last edited:
I used to throw a frisbee playing Ultimate or catches. But I used to be able to bomb the hell out of it with precision.

Welcome to DG. I thought I'd crush it. It crushed me but I loved it!

Anyone who thinks a person who has never thrown a disc in his life has an easier time of it than a former ultimate player who hasn't dg-ed is lost in the uncharted wilderness of his own mind.
Sure, it took a while to get used to the different flight characteristics of dg discs, but being able to already throw fh, bh, pancakes and tomahawks, and x-step runups for drives put me well ahead of anyone just starting out.

Some good points

I played Ultimate for decades before taking up disc golf and found it hard to ignore my Frisbee 'instincts'. The point about follow through is good as you rarely get to do the full follow through in Ultimate. Similarly for the disc close to vs away from your body. Ultimate players also tend to over-estimate their accuracy as the receiver adjusts his/her position while the disc is in the air. In Ultimate you are throwing through a maze of moving defenders to a moving target (in general); in disc golf, you have stationary obstacles (mostly) and a stationary target (usually). And you have all that time to think rather than relying on your 'instincts'. I have been trying to develop better disc golf instincts so I am not over-thinking my throws. For me, putting was surprisingly quick to pick up after I watched some videos and practiced a lot with my home basket. It's the drives that I tend to 'mess up' because I am always trying to maximize distance and I over think my whole form. I can't do the same 'routine' that I do for putting because of the varying elevation change and other topography of the hole. I tend to drive better later in the round especially if I have gotten a little angry about some of my earlier play. I tend to grip and rip without much thought and generally get better results. Still working on everything..............

I would recommend that any ultimate player look up videos of Andrew Fish. He was a pretty high level ultimate player back in the day. I'm honestly not sure which he picked up first. In old videos he even does a little switch from forehand to backhand during his x step.

You can clearly see in his form that he still has some habits from playing so much ultimate, but he's pretty freaking good and rated 1020+, so I don't really see ultimate as a hindrance.