• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Top 5 Ohio

Belmont! Wow played there a handful of times and cant believe it made any ones top five. It was nothing more than a pitch and putt at a small community park.
Havent played alot in Ohio but Mt Airy and Fairborn are my two favorites.

I haven't played either of those, but will probably get to them this summer. Haha pitch and putt. To some maybe, not to all. I will never be able to throw 450ft. I agree its not huge or anything, but the crowd there is amazing, it has some decent holes, and no non-disc golfers will ever get in your way.

Last edited:
Yeah I guess there were a few longer ones that i forgot about, not quit a pitch and putt but I couldnt remember any par 4's.

At Alum, I think hole 9, 15 & 16 and the new 11 long if that's finally in would be candidates that meet the four factor criteria I posted earlier. The difference with the wooded fairways at Alum and Holton is they are well defined with vertical trunks like the Hambrick holes C-E. When I mention "choked" at Hambrick, it's the pine boughs poking into the fairway making them less well defined and luckier that I think weakens the hole quality. At Holton, the water crossing on hole 14/15 would probably be considered the signature hole there but I also like the look of 1 & 13/14 plus the special dogleg 16 for Am Worlds.

Probably not any "true" par 4's, but I'm not really sure what a "true" par 4 is, lol. This is all just opinion based anyway. I like going to belmont because the folks there are awesome. I never have to worry about some jackass throwing on me or tossing their trash on the ground or worse, plus hazy shade is around the corner, the little shack that has water and ****, just and all around great experience. If you are looking for a tough, long course, this isn't the place, but if you just want to relax and play some chill disc golf, this is it.

At Alum, I think hole 9, 15 & 16 and the new 11 long if that's finally in would be candidates that meet the four factor criteria I posted earlier. The difference with the wooded fairways at Alum and Holton is they are well defined with vertical trunks like the Hambrick holes C-E. When I mention "choked" at Hambrick, it's the pine boughs poking into the fairway making them less well defined and luckier that I think weakens the hole quality. At Holton, the water crossing on hole 14/15 would probably be considered the signature hole there but I also like the look of 1 & 13/14 plus the special dogleg 16 for Am Worlds.

Definitely a matter of opinion for sure. Hole 9 at Alum, maybe, but most of the time its all swampy and nasty, I guess maybe that comes from playing it all the time and seeing it at its worst, but the low area, aka most of the fairway is flood land from November-June, and after any hard rains during the "good" months. The other ones you mentioned just seem way more the "poke and hope" type holes. tThe fairway on 11, by the way not changed in anyway since the AM Worlds, is no more than 7 ft. wide, not saying I don't like it, but its much more narrow and undefined as anything at Hoover. Like I said I love them all, just seemed a little strange that you thought the fairways were choked, probably just thinking differently, I've seen some pretty tight fairways.

When they first put in the course at Pike Lake it was a nightmare, you couldn't get 100ft without hitting a tree, it was awful and stuff like that probably skews my view a bit. One of the courses I just posted about, Buck Creek, was another one that was a nightmare when it first went in. The wooded holes were extremely sloppy.

With the caveat that I haven't played anything north of Columbus, my top 5 would be:

Mt. Airy
Hambrick
HAH in Fairborn
Sycamore Trails
Pickerington

There are several others (Pike Lake, Cabin Creek, and Hueston Woods come to mind) that have the potential to be in the top 5 with some work...

Ahh, Sycamore trails. That is actually my favorite course in the Dayton area. Its convoluted and doesn't really flow well, but it is incredibly diverse and absolutely challenging.

As far as Buck Creek goes, its a good course. I play it a few times each year. It also has a lot of change up. Shorter and tight in the front and long, open and much improved elevation in the back.

Also, I gotta side with Roadtrip on Brent Hambrick. I like the blind holes. I appreciate that from the long tee's you get a very even mix of open, moderate and tight holes...all with varying lengths. You have to plan your landing zone on many holes in the original back nine. There really aren't that many courses in Ohio that call for that type of play.

Ahh, Sycamore trails. That is actually my favorite course in the Dayton area. Its convoluted and doesn't really flow well, but it is incredibly diverse and absolutely challenging.

As far as Buck Creek goes, its a good course. I play it a few times each year. It also has a lot of change up. Shorter and tight in the front and long, open and much improved elevation in the back.

Also, I gotta side with Roadtrip on Brent Hambrick. I like the blind holes. I appreciate that from the long tee's you get a very even mix of open, moderate and tight holes...all with varying lengths. You have to plan your landing zone on many holes in the original back nine. There really aren't that many courses in Ohio that call for that type of play.

I have heard good things about Sycamore. Honestly I went over there to play it and couldn't even find the beginning, of course I was trying to wing it. Next time I'll plan better and check it out.

Last time I was through OH-IO I stopped and played one of the courses in Bowling Green. It was a lot flatter than the Bowling Green I am from. Still lost a disc in one of the goofy trees on the course. I felt like Charlie Brown losing his kite.

I like planning my landing zones especially when I can see them...

haha....that was pretty good.

Do you really hate blind holes that much? I honestly have no problems with them and actually like them. I'm curious to see how others feel, blind holes: Yes or no and why?

Guess that's for another thread though, and for that matter has probably been done.

Also, you should definitely check out Roscoe Ewing, its an old school course but still a great one.

Last edited:
Think about it. There are very few blind landing areas on any ball golf holes. Hardly any greens where they tip away from the player. The challenge is to see the shot and execute. Granted, we can make shots curve much more than in ball golf. But there are ways to either make sight lines so a player can see the target/landing area or make it large enough that the player doesn't risk losing the disc on a GOOD throw.

To be clear, I'm not talking about par 4s and 5s with doglegs where you can't see the pin from the tee. Those are not blind holes if you can see each landing area and then the pin when you get to the last one.

I can't think of a single blind hole with the same length, terrain elements and risk/reward aspects that I would rate higher than an almost identical hole where all landing areas are visible. There are some blind landing area holes that are better than many, many sighted holes. But that's an apples to oranges comparison. Seeing or at least having visual reference points on where to target your throw is virtually always better.

Alright! I've been waiting for this thread!

I'm about 15-20 courses away from my goal of playing every 18 hole course in Ohio. So I've hit just about all of em.

Top 5

Forked Run Reedsville
Mt. Airy Cincinnatti
Roscoe Ewing Medina
Pike Lake BainBridge
Brett Hambric Columbus

A few honorable mentions would be. The Players Club, Handyman Ace Hardware, Hocking College, Lobdell,

The most over rated is Deis Hill. It's really good but It didn't live up to the Hype

The 5 Worst

Fort Shawnee (no thought put into it)
Hudson Springs (no thought put into it)
Disctractions @ Hueston Woods SP (terrible shape)
Balgriffin ( I hate to rip on someones Eagle Scout project but it's small
and not fun)
Chestnut Ridge (Not really a course)

Hopefully I have them all done by the end of the summer

Yeah, Deis I RATED high because it is so well kept and the tees are great. All that was top of the line, but I agree it seems overrated just because the overdone big open holes.

Thanks to this thread, I am planning a trip to Roscoe Ewing :clap:

Hope you have a good time. Its my favorite course. Its not perfect or the highest rated course, but it's fun.

1) Blendon Woods (home course bias)
2) Flat Rocks
3) Griggs
4) Brent Hambrick
5) OSU when it's not windy

Thanks to this thread, I am planning a trip to Roscoe Ewing :clap:

I hadn't heard any buzz about Roscoe Ewing before I went. So I was shocked by how great it was

Send me a message when you go, I can't promise nothing but maybe we can finally play that round we discussed long long ago

Haha I too have been waiting a long time for this thread!

1) Forked Run State Park (yes there is 6 silly easy holes here but the other 18 are awesome) Great camping trip location, worth the the trip!
2) Pickerington (yes a suprise pick to be this high, what can I say I just like it)
3) Mt. Airy (has a little bit of everything)
4) Flat Rocks (Probably the easist course on my list but its gorgeous)
5) Handyman (more for its potential, then its current state)

Honorable Mention: Great Seal

Would love to play Pike Lake and Roscoe, heard good things.