• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Top DG/Brewery Destination ?

I think I've been to about 80 breweries in 15 states now... and played a little golf along the way... so I think I'm qualified to answer this question:

If I was choosing the best single course / single brewery combo, I would say:

Stafford Lake DGC and Moylans Brewery in Novato CA hands down. Stafford Lake is my personal favorite DGC in CA (and I've played about 50 DGCs in CA) and Moylan's is probably my favorite brewery in CA (and I've been to about 50 breweries in CA).

Stafford Lake offers , with HUGE championship style holes, the best Top of the World shot maybe anywhere, a 1000+' hole, one of the most beautiful backdrops a disc golf course could ever ask for.

Moylans offers my 2nd favorite IPA (flowers in a glass), and about 17 other beers on tap if IPA isn't your thing... and they're all great! The restaurant is great too, and a beautiful complex. Plus it's right off the Hwy and 1 exit away from Stafford!

DSCJNKY
Not to mention Lagunitas !!!

3 Floyds also has Rogers Lakewood in addition to Lemon...

Take a couple day vacation and drive around Wisconsin. Great DG and plenty of breweries. Best combo state in general.:thmbup:

Stafford lake is my favorite aswell. I've played 250 courses in the state and its number one in my heart. Love the challenge. Also on a side note, Anderson brewing and course is stellar. Well worth it because its very close to Ukiah which has over a dozen more breweries plus 4 unique 18 hole courses all within 15 minutes of each other. Ukiah actually ranks disc golf as the 4th most popular activity in the city and they love there golf and beer there. So AVBC has more options with those other 4 18 holers, plus 20 minutes away is another good 18 holer and BOP aka birds of paradise is only like an hour away from there. Lots and Lots of beer golf choices.

I think I've been to about 80 breweries in 15 states now... and played a little golf along the way... so I think I'm qualified to answer this question:

If I was choosing the best single course / single brewery combo, I would say:

Stafford Lake DGC and Moylans Brewery in Novato CA hands down. Stafford Lake is my personal favorite DGC in CA (and I've played about 50 DGCs in CA) and Moylan's is probably my favorite brewery in CA (and I've been to about 50 breweries in CA).

Stafford Lake offers , with HUGE championship style holes, the best Top of the World shot maybe anywhere, a 1000+' hole, one of the most beautiful backdrops a disc golf course could ever ask for.

Moylans offers my 2nd favorite IPA (flowers in a glass), and about 17 other beers on tap if IPA isn't your thing... and they're all great! The restaurant is great too, and a beautiful complex. Plus it's right off the Hwy and 1 exit away from Stafford!

DSCJNKY

I'd say you should go with the Phantom Falls/Beaver Ranch area.. so many great breweries. Kinda sad that we have more excellent breweries than we do Disc Golf courses in that area. 2 top ranked courses and we have Oskar Blues (100 rated Dale's Pale) farther down the road in Buena Vista is an excellent brewery, Odell's is in Ft. Collins.. and there are a ton of small craft brewers in the Denver/Boulder area, Yak and Yeti comes to mind and Twisted Pine. So much beer, so little time. :)

Don't forget New Belgium!

You could probably throw the Redwood Curtain in there with Lost Coast and some of the other Humboldt area brews...

...now I really wanna head up north...moreso than usual.

Just learned recently that Kalamazoo is getting another microbrewery. We also are installing another new course in nearby Vicksburg. For a county that has 250,000, life is pretty damned good here. :)

I feel like portland and the surrounding areas don't compare to anywhere else that I have been.

You can camp at Hornings Hideout and play all 3 courses there, there is a mcmenamins brewery not far from there that has a 10 hole little, just for fun, course on the grounds.

Make your way into portland. Pier Park is a great course that is within the city limits. A ton of different breweries are top notch. My favorites include Cascade brewery for the great sour beer selection and Upright for the local feel of the basement and some great saisons and other open fermentation brews.

I've lived in eureka in the humboldt area in northern california/redwood area and in san diego. While there are good spots to go in both, the brewery scene just doesn't come anywhere close to portland oregon.

Last edited:
I feel like portland and the surrounding areas don't compare to anywhere else that I have been.

You can camp at Hornings Hideout and play all 3 courses there, there is a mcmenamins brewery not far from there that has a 10 hole little, just for fun, course on the grounds.

Make your way into portland. Pier Park is a great course that is within the city limits. A ton of different breweries are top notch. My favorites include Cascade brewery for the great sour beer selection and Upright for the local feel of the basement and some great saisons and other open fermentation brews.

I've lived in eureka in the humboldt area in northern california/redwood area and in san diego. While there are good spots to go in both, the brewery scene just doesn't come anywhere close to the portland oregon.

When did you live in SD? It has exploded over the last couple of years. In my city of 80,000ish, we have at least 6 craft breweries that I can come up with off the top of my head. Not trying to be competitive - Portland is on my travel list - just curious if you have been able to sample the growth of the beer scene down here.

When did you live in SD? It has exploded over the last couple of years. In my city of 80,000ish, we have at least 6 craft breweries that I can come up with off the top of my head. Not trying to be competitive - Portland is on my travel list - just curious if you have been able to sample the growth of the beer scene down here.

While I haven't lived there in awhile, my family still lives there. I did just go to the sour beer fest at stone this past summer. I go down there once or twice a year and always hit up multiple breweries on my trip.

The Oregon Brewers guild webpage list 82 places in portland that brew beer...and it isn't exactly updated that frequently.

The other thing that makes portland stand out when compared to San Diego is that it is a much smaller area. You are talking about san diego county. Escondido, where Stone, is quite a ways north of La mesa where ballast point and alesmith are for example. And that's still north of san diego itself. Last time I was there I went to mother earth brewery and prohibition brewery that had just opened within a month or two. I realize the beer scene in san diego has grown a ton in the last few years and there are little breweries like those two popping up all the time. In portland you can theoretically go to 20 breweries all within 10 or 15 miles of each other easily (if you weren't to wasted..and probably more than 20 actually).

I know san diego fairly well. You are right in that the beer scene has grown a lot. I still don't feel like it compares to portland oregon...especially when you are talking about a beer destination with the most breweries in a given area where you have limited time to travel in between...also portland has more disc golf courses as well...though some of them are a drive out of town.

and ya, I grew up in vista, my family still lives there. I actually talked to you about brengle terrace in PMs a month or 2 ago...my dad helped with some of the work crews. (I'm sure he was the oldest guy there hah!)

Portland - 33 breweries, 27 courses within 25 mile radius. 4 of them 4+ rated (including 1 top ten), 4 more rated 3.5-4. How can you go wrong? Pick your dates carefully though. I hear they get some rain there.

*frantically checking travel sites*

And I've never been to Oregon. WTH have I been thinking?

I've lived in eureka in the humboldt area in northern california/redwood area and in san diego. While there are good spots to go in both, the brewery scene just doesn't come anywhere close to portland oregon.

To add to that, the local club has been doing a great job of turning Stub Stewart (just west of Horning's) into a gem of a woods course, we just opened a new championship course in Blue Lake Park this summer, Milo McIver is just east of town, and Trojan is a little ways out of town, but an amazing water course.

As for the beer scene, there are new breweries and brew pubs popping up all the time. It's almost getting to be like the reaction you get from seeing a Starbucks on every block (that may be just a NW thing.) For example, Cascade Brewing is directly across the street from another great brewery, The Green Dragon. We even have a Rogue Brew Pub on campus at Portland State.

If you're into wine, the best Pinot Noirs in America (arguably the world) are grown 30 minutes SW of Portland in the Dundee Hills. There are a few fun disc golf courses out that way, but nothing world class. Also, Stoller Vineyards has 5-6 baskets that they have out in their fields seasonally.

Basically, you should all come visit Portland and watch worlds in 2014. All of you.

You speak Boontling Mando? I knew we had a lot in common.
I have been honored in the AVBC Hall of Foam as a Heelch Horner (aka Big Drinker) for drinking so much of their beer. I've been to the brewery about 8 times and have a Hole in One hanging on my wall from Hole 15. Love AVBC.

Bahl Hornin to ya. (Good Drinkin)
DSCJNKY

I harpin da Boontling. Bahl Hornin to ya as well.:hfive:

You could probably throw the Redwood Curtain in there with Lost Coast and some of the other Humboldt area brews...

...now I really wanna head up north...moreso than usual.

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to post this. Most people haven't gotten to try what I would call our best brewery, the Redwood Curtain Brewery, named after the course. They have some of my favorite beers.

LONG TROUT WINERY in PA....

I thought their wine sucked, they don't ferment the wine in oak barrels
so the flavor was way too sweet.

Last Sunday I played at Hyland Orchard and Brewery in MA, they have an outside bar. I had a beer before hole 1, btw holes 9 and 10 and another after 18. Their Pale Ale was very nice. And Maple Hill was only 30 minutes away!

Damn, sounds like cali and oregon is where its at.

Center chains disc golf course and the Alchemist brewery in Waterbury VT. Just be careful because after you have a Heady Topper from the alchemist you will never want a different beer again. You will also need to check into therapy.

What? Disc golfers drink. Who knew?

Pittsburgh has a few good breweries in the area. If you come up to Moraine State Park we have North Country Brewery which is probably my favorite restaurant/beer house. Or if you wanted to Stay closer to the city, you could play Deer Lakes, and within 20 minutes be at Church Brew Works, Penn Brewery, Hofbrauhaus, and probably some other ones i'm forgetting. Plus come play our other good courses like knob, the up and coming great course Linbrook, and Slippery Rock(by moraine),

Portland is the obvious choice.

However, it blows my mind that no one has even mentioned Minneapolis yet. As far as breweries go, Surly and Minneapolis Town Hall are top tier breweries in the United States. Surly may not count yet because they don't have a pub to sit in, but they are currently working on building a destination brewery that might be one of the best in the United States.

As far as the disc golf goes, 10 courses with 4 disc ratings including the #3 ranked on DGCR.

I would say Minneapolis could easily be considered #2 once Surly has their brewpub built.

Latest posts