• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trip from Rochester NY to Atlanta Georgia

SeenMoleen

Got one week round trip, maybe 8 days, need to plan a driving route south. Looking to go in january so I need to account for cold temps at start of trip. Looking for "can't miss" courses in a spread from Indiana to Maryland and Tennessee to North Carolina.

You just described an area that includes about half of the country's disc golf courses... I'll answer questions about specific courses or areas, but I'm not about to start recommending courses in that wide of an area, so many great ones to choose from. Take a look at my top 110 list, there's 30 or 40 on there that would be in that range, I definitely suggest any one of them. Use the map function, or pay for a premium membership and get the road trip function and do some research, any course rated 3.5 or better is typically great and "can't miss" courses are usually rated 4 or better, believe in the rating system, it works. Once you get a more specific route outlined let us know, myself and others will be able to give you better advice.

Having said that, and since it's not on my list or on the map, I'll give you one suggestion - Flyboy.

Which route are you taking? Either way there are great disc golf options.

Going through Cincinnati? Be sure to hit up Mt Airy and Idlewild
Going through Pittsburgh, WV and Charlotte? Deer Lakes, Paw Paw, and I just spent almost a week in Charlotte alone.

Like Martin said, Flyboy. It's bout an hour west of Atlanta, but worth it.

I may be able to show you around some other Atlanta courses depending on when you're here.

Got one week round trip, maybe 8 days, need to plan a driving route south. Looking to go in january so I need to account for cold temps at start of trip. Looking for "can't miss" courses in a spread from Indiana to Maryland and Tennessee to North Carolina.

I have mapped this exact trip and posted it a few times.

The Sarge, Tom Triplett, and Luther Britt are right off the main highway.

Obviously Flyboy is a must, but you really need to plan on staying at the bed and breakfast if you expect to get in as an individual. Kelly doesn't want drive by players.

I have mapped this exact trip and posted it a few times.

The Sarge, Tom Triplett, and Luther Britt are right off the main highway.

Obviously Flyboy is a must, but you really need to plan on staying at the bed and breakfast if you expect to get in as an individual. Kelly doesn't want drive by players.

Ruby, I think he's going to Atlanta, not Jacksonville or wherever.

January? This is the coldaphobic in me talking, but I'd make a beeline to Charlotte, then spend your 8 days on the Charlotte-Augusta-Atlanta axis. Save the northern half for a later, non-January, trip.

Maryland Ice Bowl schedule for January(ish):

Seneca Creek 1/5
Druid Hill 1/19
Rockburn 1/26
Patapsco 2/2

I'm planning a similar trip in January, however, I'm thinking this: drive down Friday, play Saturday/Sunday, drive back Monday. So there is no spending a few days here or there. Thinking I'd like to camp and be able to stay in a single city for the whole weekend.

Which city do I pick?

Also fleeing the north and have a couple of the same questions.

Google showed a state park with very affordable camping near Appling, anyone stayed there? Can't remember the name but it looked like it was within 5-10 miles.
Anyone know of any decent camping in Charlotte area they could recommend?

I've tried to keep up on weather for both Charlotte and Appling but it would be nice to get some feedback from real people.. How wet do the courses play this time of year (January February)? Since the internet has them showing about the same amount of precip for those times of year as Buffalo, it's almost worse then knowing nothing. To be more specific, is it wet and sloppy till spring or if it's been dry and sunny for a week will the courses be dry?

I know this one's been covered in probably alot of different ways, but what are the "must play" courses in Charlotte if I'd only have time to play maybe 3-4 courses and taking time of year course conditions into account.

You know you're obsessed when you look outside, see snow and say "Hey, lets go drive a couple thousand miles for disc golf so we dont develop bad habits we'll have to get rid of in the spring."
You know you're really obsessed when you say, "Let's go again next week."

I've camped at Wildwood, which is the park the IDGC is in. The campground is right beside the Warner course. It's quite the scenic place, right on the water. As for the weather, and how wet the courses will be after a bit of rain, a lot of it depends on the course. If the course has some ups and downs, and not to much grassy type areas, it will drain pretty well. The weekend I camped at the IDGC, it rained a good bit, and I don't remember the courses being to bad. Locally, here in Charlotte, a course like RL Smith will probably be better than say Sugaw after a rain, due to the fact that the water will drain off the course better at Smith.

I've camped at Wildwood, which is the park the IDGC is in. The campground is right beside the Warner course. It's quite the scenic place, right on the water. As for the weather, and how wet the courses will be after a bit of rain, a lot of it depends on the course. If the course has some ups and downs, and not to much grassy type areas, it will drain pretty well. The weekend I camped at the IDGC, it rained a good bit, and I don't remember the courses being to bad. Locally, here in Charlotte, a course like RL Smith will probably be better than say Sugaw after a rain, due to the fact that the water will drain off the course better at Smith.

Thanks very much! I didn't realize that campground was part of the same park, that's even better. Still having a hard time deciding on which city and with Appling a fair amount farther, cheap extremly close lodging might balance it out a bit on the scales.
The weather info is exactly what i was looking for and getting back to Charlotte, how's the drainage on Renaissance and Hornet's Nest?
If the weather gods are good and either place gets a solid week or so of dry weather, do they completely dry up? Or still spotty here and there? I just don't have any frame of referance for that part of the country, that time of year. How has your winter been so far this year there?
Thanks again, very helpful answer.

Drainage at Renny is mostly ok. Hornet's Nest can be kinda muddy in spots. (holes 10&18 come to mind) As for our current weather situation here in Charlotte, until the last week or so, we've been borderline in a drought. I want to remember that it gets closer to real drought the further south you go, so Augusta (Appling) I would assume would be a bit drier than us.

The drainage thing is funny, I remember playing the back nine at Rankin Lake (my old home course) all winter a few years ago, but we would completely avoid the front nine for weeks at a time. There were even times when holes 4, 5, 7, and 8 would be under water, but the back nine would be completely playable.

If you stop in Maryland, give me a heads up and I will see if I can skip work and meet up.

Thanks, purely a destination trip though, do all the driving one day down, play 3-4 days, drive back.

Thanks again Jack, more of exactly what I wanted to know.

They really do need to add more southern tourneys in the winter.. People will come!
The T.S. Master's fundraisers look good, as does the IDG ice bowl though, decisions decisions...

The default google maps route from Rochester to Atlanta takes you to down 71 to Cincy then south on 75 all the way to Atlanta. I recommend a detour from Cincy over to Louisville, south to Nashville then pick 75 back up in Chattanooga. The stretch of I-75 from Cincy to Chattanooga doesn't have as many or, IMHO, the quality of courses that I-65 has from Louisville to Nashville.

Along this route you can check out the following 4+ rated courses.
Charlie Vettiner - Louisville, KY
Seviren Lang - Georgetown, IN (suburb of Louisville)
Freeman Lake Park - Elizabethtown, KY
Holler in the Hills - Brownsville, KY and #16 on the best courses list
Cedar Hill Park - Nashville, TN

There are a number of other quality courses in Bowling Green and Nashville rated between 3.5 and 4 if you have more time in these areas.

If you need a place to camp in the Louisville area, Buffalo Trace in Palymra is just 20 minutes out of your way from Seviren Lang and has a good course of their own right next to the camp grounds.

Let me know if you decide to come through Louisville and want someone to show you around.

For the question about winter weather in Charlotte vs. Augusta....I'm in between, and there's not enough difference affect your decision. Augusta may be a couple of degrees warmer. Most winter days courses around here are completely playable.

Flyboy Aviation in Atlanta, Georgia is well worth playing if you want a challenging course. The 27 hole park is by far the most beautiful and exclusive spot to play disc golf in Atlanta. Some nickname it 'The Field of Dreams' Happy holes! (excuse the pun haha) - Ricky

Don't know exactly when the O.P. was planning this trip, but if it wasn't this past week, you missed out. Temps have been in the 70s.

Not sure on OP either, but I'll be down weekend of Kilbourne TS Master fundraiser .. Looking forward to it rain or shine now ;p

Latest posts