• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trouble Relating (not sure if this belongs in VIP/the WC)

GripEnemy

*Super Moderator*
Staff member
Premium Member
From time to time I get worked up/frustrated/short tempered with some of the stuff on here, just like any other forum. It happens. Everyone goes from n00b to not-so-noob in every aspect of life - hobbies included.

I know the more experienced throwers here can personally identify with a true flippy disc hyzer (still goes left RHBH but not until it reaches the apex for the most part, required power level successfully reached or surpassed) and the like. Same goes for intentional torque, proper usage of nose angle (nose up specifically) and other similar aspects of the game.

How do you guys explain more simple techniques to others and successfully disregard your true level of knowledge? How do you NOT let your excess knowledge get the better of you? I feel as though I've done a decent job of it since I joined DG forums about 4 years ago, but nobody is perfect (me especially:)). I can elaborate if anybody wants further info, otherwise any feedback would be great!

I just correct misinformation like some know-it-all a-hole. :\

I struggle with this on the course, I hate it when somebody asks me how I throw so well b/c the answer is a lot of nerdy DG technique jargon that will bore to tears anybody that doesn't read DGR.

^^I didn't specify in the OP but on the course is more what I was referring to - hence my threadkiller title here (I didn't buy it, but I did call myself one).

OP P.S. If you think my grammar is incorrect [here or any other thread] just read it like Christopher Walken would;)

If someone totally new to dg asks me how to throw better, I usually just give them enough info to get them throwing flat. Further instructions revolve around the search function on you tube.

explain it to them like their five

start with my grammer haha.

or just nerd out on it. hell i can rant to people for hours about dg or guitars.

i also could not stand all the n00bz on reddit. i had to unsubscribe to /r/discgolf every comment i wanted to post would just be me being a complete d-head. they aint one of us ;)

here the n00b has its own section, unlike reddit where it was 99% n00b material. here its easy to avoid for the most part. but it does get old seeing the same stupid shi. just gotta correct the idiots, we were there at one time and some of us still are.

I by no means want to offend you but I'm looking at >1% not 90%+ as far as the people I'm referring to. They know who they are. There's nearly 46,000 members here now, let alone every other DG related forum:(

Love Reddit:)

Every person is unique in how they learn and comprehend, and they all have different aspirations. If I'm introducing a new player I likely have an idea of the type of instruction they'll benefit from if I've known them a while and try to tailor it that way. If a random asks on the course, well that's different. I have actually asked, "Do you want me to nerd out and get a bit technical, or do you just want a couple simple points to get started?" Otherwise you just have to feel it out.

I have been helping a buddy get started over the past several months. He doesn't play much (maybe once or twice a month), so each time I see him is a learning/teaching experience.

So far I've suggested that he stop trying to run up and simply do a stand-and-deliver drive, or a one-step drive. Next was getting him to pull straight across his chest rather than arcing his arm around. But something that I hadn't even thought of was when he asked me how I knew when to "let go" of the disc on a drive. So we've covered the idea that you never actually let go of the disc, but rather let it rip from your hand.

Just these basic points have been plenty for him to concentrate on, and I've decided not to introduce any additional ideas until he is comfortable with these. IMO simple is better unless you are dealing with a maniac who is playing every day, improving quickly, and hungry for as much information as you can give them.

you can only do so much in a little amount of time.

ziiii baziiiics meng. the rest is only a worry for peeps like us'

I also try and get them throwing flat via grip adjustments, throwing technique and follow through...I also recommend them to throw under-stable discs and tell them if they keep throwing flat and can begin to make the disc flip then they are going in the right direction for improvement. Later on I'll touch base if I see them and see how things are going. Too many players, newbs or not, try and make discs do stuff instead of letting the disc work for them.

Whenever I go out with new people I give them a dx leopard and tell them to pretend there is a table/breakfast bar right next to them lined up with cups. After they reach back I tell them to try and make the disc hit every one of the cups. This keeps the disc in a level line and if they are really imagining it, they'll keep the disc plenty flat from a standstill throw.

Personally I just try to practice what I'm preaching. For background through the week I play mainly solo rounds at a pitch and putt right by my house because I tend to get off work earlier than the guys I play with. While playing these rounds I'm not really playing for score, but just working on various shots/discs/technique changes etc.

So if some random or group of randoms wants pointers I'm happy to join up with them, play a few holes and then give them one or two things to work on. At the same time I'll be working on the same thing. For instance if I give them a mid or putter and tell them to put up their Nuke/Groove/Boss or whatever other 13 speed flavor of the day they're chucking I throw the same type of disc. As it's a short course (longest hole is 285') this is usually the first piece of advice I give, and it's easier to convince someone that you don't need anything more than a putter if they can see you throwing a putter on that 275' hole they usually toss their distance driver on. The other thing I tend to do (assuming the course is not crowded) is have them play a few holes throwing their DD and the disc I loaned them side by side. Usually it starts out with them saying "but see how much farther my disc went" and finishes with me saying "see how much better you scored with the Buzzz than the Groove"?:)

For me it's all about keeping advice simple and demonstrating that advice for several holes.

I find it best to talk to people assuming they have a little knowledge, then based on how they respond I can either get more technical or more basic.

When it comes to giving advise to noobs I try to help them correct one issue of their throw. The less you tell them the more likely they will do it.

I think the best one can do is to keep it simple, and let people add to their knowledge at their own pace. There's only so much people can absorb and put into prsctice effectively. Give people too much too soon, and even if all it's good info, it's becomes a hodgepodge of useless confusion.

As people truly internalize and understand a concept (i.e. see it in action for themselves, not just hear someone explain it), then they can start adding layers to their understanding.

Last edited:
....I have actually asked, "Do you want me to nerd out and get a bit technical, or do you just want a couple simple points to get started?" Otherwise you just have to feel it out.

In my opinion, this is the best advice in the thread so far. Be real with them, ask them what they want....I like it. I will try to follow this next time.

I usually will give simple advice: pay attention to nose angle on release, or try throwing standstill for a while because your runup "might" be throwing your balance off. I will then watch and see if they value my advice and even try to attempt that one or two things, before proceeding with further help. If you feel people out, you can tell if they are willing to learn from you, or if they just need to figure it out themselves. If they are in the latter catagory, I will just play disc golf and see if my play will inspire them to try something new.

In my opinion, this is the best advice in the thread so far. Be real with them, ask them what they want....I like it. I will try to follow this next time.

I usually will give simple advice: pay attention to nose angle on release, or try throwing standstill for a while because your runup "might" be throwing your balance off. I will then watch and see if they value my advice and even try to attempt that one or two things, before proceeding with further help. If you feel people out, you can tell if they are willing to learn from you, or if they just need to figure it out themselves. If they are in the latter catagory, I will just play disc golf and see if my play will inspire them to try something new.

Yep. Typically, you can very quickly gauge how the other person is reacting to what you're saying. If your first word is hyzer and their eyes are already glazed over, then you know you need to dial it way back. You can't just talk at someone. You have to pay attention to whether or not they're getting it.

I think the best thing to do is throw core concepts at them. Something that isn't intuitive to people without disc sports backgrounds. Like using leverage and using your body to rip the disc out of your hand as opposed to releasing it or throwing it consciously. Once you move those stumbling blocks most people can figure out a lot more on their own.

I typically only give advice if asked, but I keep it pretty simple on the course. Sometimes I might find 50' noob hyzers amusing, but if I really feel like they need an intervention, I'll just ask if they letting go of the disc or something along those lines. I'll talk about how you start the throw like starting a lawn mower and throw the disc like a hammer.

just cause your good at something, doesn't mean you are ( or have to be) a good teacher. Communicating and teaching are a skill with many nuances , just like disc golf. Of course, each student is different in the way they might (or might not ) absorb information. I like to try and help people with any easy pointer I can give that might help them enjoy the game more. Another day, I might just want to play through and not try to translate my advanced understanding to an undeserving audience...... So, what ever works. And if you can't say something nice, just rant about it later on the interwebs.

Latest posts