• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

True or False: Newbies/barneys should not write reviews

Crank? Chev Chelios is a disc golfer? Who knew?

2012etg.jpg

Both movies were God awful BTW.

How about we have Tim force people to pass tests in English composition and grammar before they write a review? And they have to be a PDGA member with at least a 950 rating. That way only 10 people on this site, if that many, will be allowed to write a review.

Point being this is a site for everyone, not just the touring pros. That being the case, everyone should feel comfortable posting and reviewing. The self-appointed "advanced" players should get over their egos and their lust for dominance and find ways to make this website feel welcoming, just like they find ways to make the sport itself feel welcoming.

What an elitist attitude from the OP. So if you're not good you're not allowed on DGCR, that's one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever heard. We all started somewhere and we all can't be 1000 rated players and to say that because someone isn't good they can't write a review is unbelievable. If you want to read great reviews, click that little box on the upper right hand corner of the review page that says "trusted reviewers only" and you will only get the best reviewers or if you can't do that then take into consideration that they have a different appreciation of the game then you do. If you put in a hole where you have to be able to clear 250 feet of water to get to the hole first, people who can't throw that far are going to say it's too hard for them and by doing so in a review will warn others at their skill level about this hole or a course that's really hard. The main idea to playing this game is because we like it and it's fun and if a course is 15 throws a hole for a newbie it's not going to be as fun.

I think another point that needs to be made is many of the newbies here will gain critical perspective of things like proper disc and shot selection, and course/hole design with experience, and as they do the reviews that they write, or update, will eventually reflect that. Being on a site full of others who share their interest will help color their perspective, something that disc golfers a decade ago didn't have. Of course, there will be scads of new newbies taking their place.

And if you think about it, the opinions of the professed "illuminati" on just about anything aren't always in tune with what the masses like. Tons of critically panned movie, music and television vehicles went on to become mega hits. Tons of critically acclaimed ones flopped. Doesn't mean the experts are wrong. Doesn't mean the masses are stupid. DGCR is a properly proportional community of both, which is what I like about it.

lmao...I just read one of Jesus' reviews. Yeah, I changed my opinion. Let's leave the reviewing up to the pros...because this is not a good review:

"Pros: One of the nicest courses you will ever play. You would pay to play this course. I'd throw my grandmother down the steps if they would make this course permanent.Cons: Not permanent. Other Thoughts: I'm not terribly happy with the level of influence that big business has over the federal government. It is troubling, but at least we have disc golf."

What part of that was helpful to anyone? Is that really the whole review?

How about we have Tim force people to pass tests in English composition and grammar before they write a review? And they have to be a PDGA member with at least a 950 rating. That way only 10 people on this site, if that many, will be allowed to write a review.

Point being this is a site for everyone, not just the touring pros. That being the case, everyone should feel comfortable posting and reviewing. The self-appointed "advanced" players should get over their egos and their lust for dominance and find ways to make this website feel welcoming, just like they find ways to make the sport itself feel welcoming.

As stated in another thread the pros top 10 look nothing like our top 10.

Thanks for the link.

For the noobs out their Jesus is 80played's old flame war rival (if you've heard of the ledgendary 80 played) 80 played was banned for calling Jesus a taco bender among other infractions.
Who the heck is 80played

Last edited:
Perhaps all reviews should be approved by Dave242 before being posted to the public:)

My 2 cents

So I decided to throw my 2c in on this.

I read a few pages back a sort of scathing statement about beginner friendly courses. Here is my take;

The reason we have beginner friendly courses, as well as pro courses, is a little thing called diversity. My wife and I, as well as a retired couple (only the husband disc golfs) just turned one of these uber-courses in our area into an intermediate level course. Why?

NOBODY EVER PLAYED IT.

the layout sucked, the tee-pads sucked, the flow of the course sucked. Oh, but it was a championship caliber course!!!! Bull. Fact of the matter is most players who cry and wine for more championship courses go out to play an intermediate level course or even one that is more for beginners and shoot just the same as newbies. Believe me, I've seen it. Sometimes the fact that they can throw 350+ consistently helps, but not always.

So my vote? Let the newbies vote! Just have a little tag next to each person's name listing how long they have played..

What part of that was helpful to anyone? Is that really the whole review?

That is literally the whole review. He has one other that is of the same quality, or lack thereof....

Which makes me think he might have a point regarding noobs not writing reviews, ha!;)