• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trying to choose a good disc to throw far

Working with smaller discs like my mids to get my form going right seems like an idea. I just have a hard time power gripping my mids tho, feels so awkward. I end up grip locking them and jerking them right. But my fan grip isn't grippy enough. So I will have to learn a new grip to be able to start practicing with them on harder shots.

I know about my waist rotation issue, thats the main thing I'm working on. Thats what I realized the other day, that I didn't rotate away from the my target area enough. Just gotta keep practicing. The best part is I've aready noticed differences on the course :). I'm working on my putting too, which has also gotten better.

Love this time of year. It gets hot in SC, nice to feel some cool weather for a change.

I think a new grip sounds like a good idea. For driving putters or throwing midranges, I never use a power grip. I've got a grip with the pointer finger knuckle over the edge of the rim and the pinky on the rim. My ring and middle fingers are extended somewhat. It's kinda like a stacked fork grip.

In your second video your wrist is turned over on the follow through - facing up. This indicates what others are calling OAT. You are compensating with your wrist for the overstability of a disc, causing it to turn over or do a long 'S' curve.

Not 100 percent sure what OAT is, and I don't know whats wrong with throwing my wraith and have it start out nice a straight and level, then slowly turn over then slowly fade back. Sounds like a good throw to me?

I understand if i was forcing it to go right, then that would be wrong. but i'm not. the discs that leave my hands aren't going to the right instantly then fading back. they do it on there own.

and I've been practicing a lot since i made this thread, and I'm getting more consistent drives every time i go. I can hit small gaps now when I would hit a tree half the time before.

I know I'm not doing everything right, but something is improving :).

just sounds like an off axis torque problem would be really unstable and not very dependable or accurate.

Not 100 percent sure what OAT is, and I don't know whats wrong with throwing my wraith and have it start out nice a straight and level, then slowly turn over then slowly fade back. Sounds like a good throw to me?

OAT is Off Axis Torque and basically means that not 100% of the energy of your throw is going into spinning and propelling the disc. Some of the force might be pushing the wing up or down, the nose up or down, or pushing or pulling the disc right or left of your intended line.

OAT is just a way of saying "forces are applied to the disc that aren't helping it fly straight or spin." OAT is a force that's not perpendicular to the axis of spin or parallel to the direction of flight.

If your disc wobbles early on (I didn't see your video), that's a GOOD indicator that you have OAT.

Thanks iacas, that was a very easy to understand explanation. My discs do not wobble. Sometimes from time to time they do if I throw RHFH, but its getting better. Sometimes to get my disc to make a right turn around a dogleg, i will intentionally make it go that way though.

I understand if i was forcing it to go right, then that would be wrong. but i'm not. the discs that leave my hands aren't going to the right instantly then fading back. they do it on there own.

and I've been practicing a lot since i made this thread, and I'm getting more consistent drives every time i go. I can hit small gaps now when I would hit a tree half the time before.

I know I'm not doing everything right, but something is improving :).

just sounds like an off axis torque problem would be really unstable and not very dependable or accurate.

Sorry - I figured someone had already described OAT.

The problem I saw is that you are turning your wrist over in your follow through, which means that is starting before you release your disc. When you turn your wrist over like that, it will make many discs turn right more then is intended. Yes, it makes a nice S-curve, but if you do it flat without turning your wrist over, once you get that S-curve from power it will be even further.
Play however feels good- just know that you will lose potential power and length by flipping your wrist over.

How long is your Wraith on that S-curve now?

Well, my wraith is a beat up one, so it makes it more flippy than a new one would be. but on a good throw I can get it out as far as my vulcan almost, which is max at about 375. most courses around me don't need a powerful drive to get close to, so its hard to get better at distance when I rarely need it.

I guess the wraith probably goes straight about 100 ft before it starts to turn over. and my beat up one sometimes turns too hard if i throw it too hard.

I'm planning on getting a new wraith soon.

I think I must be turning it over because lack of practice throwing backhand. This is really the first year I have thrown RHBH on almost every shot. So thanks for pointing that out and I'll try to pay more attention to that next time I'm out.

You'll get there, Aces! :)

Sidenote:

OP, why come here, ask questions, and then crap on everyone's answer?

These guys and gals are taking time out of their days to help you get better. You asked for it. Why are you being a turd about all of their advice?

They're giving you legit advice. Your discs are old and you have form flaws.

My other question: Who throws a Vulcan, anyway?

Just go get a groove. It is the farthest disc.

lol stein-whatever I'm not negative about anyone's post... till now.

First off, I have tried and used ALL advice that I have received from my fellow disc golfers on here.

Secondly: after reading several of my own posts, I can't figure out what the crap you are talking about....

Third: You're a jackass.

You'll get there, Aces! :)

Sidenote:

OP, why come here, ask questions, and then crap on everyone's answer?

These guys and gals are taking time out of their days to help you get better. You asked for it. Why are you being a turd about all of their advice?

They're giving you legit advice. Your discs are old and you have form flaws.

My other question: Who throws a Vulcan, anyway?

Ok, I'm DiscGolfMaster's wife and he has been trying VERY hard to apply each and everyone's advice so far. I've read every single post and didn't think he was mean or "crapped on anyone's answer". He was just trying to provide as much information as possible so he could get the most helpful answers. He knows he has form flaws and is trying to work on them. I used to think that every disc golfer was friendly and helpful. I see now that I was incorrect.

Short and simple:

Buy a fresh Pro Valkyrie and work on hyzer release angles until you do not think it is an understable disc anymore. Then get a Pinnacle Canon and keep in mind what you have learned about the Valkyrie, it will suddenly seem overstable and thus will work great for flexing anhyzer lines. Finally, get a Champ Glow Valkyrie (superior grip in comparison to regular Champ but still great glide) for those days when there is a little more wind than what you would like for your Pro Valk to handle.

Mastering a slightly understable disc will definitey take care of most of your OAT issues which will open up middle stability discs like the Canon or Boss or such.

As for body and mechanics, think of it as an electrical charge that starts the moment your plant foot hits the ground for your throw. That charge travels up your legs, gets your hips twisting your body toward the target, goes through your core and shoulder and right pec (assuming rhbh), pulling your arm across your chest, and finally explodes through your wrist at that moment of snap.

Your first several throws are going to suck, but when I realized that i did not need to throw flat and level or with S anhyzer when going for controlled maximum distance (380-400) my game became vastly easier and more consistent.

I would agree in that you should probably grab some fairway drivers that will be more telling about what's going on in your throw. High speed stuff will auto correct itself to a lot of issues (that's why a lot of people who shouldn't throw them, do.)

Yout Wraith should have SOME turn, but when you describe it as "just goes right," then we think that you've turned it over.

And ultimately, since your wife had to jump on the forum just to be a snot back to me, my point was not that you were being an *******, but that you seemed turd-like and un-accepting of some advice here. What I saw were a lot of excuses -- blame put to the discs being old, etc..

If you want advice, take it. Don't make excuses.

Now, go get a leopard!

Will do smark, I have thrown the valk in the past but never owned one but always wanted too. I've only ever heard good things about it. I'll get one and give your advice a shot.

Just one more thing to add. I do notice when I'm aiming down hill, the characteristics of my discs seem different. Like if I throw my destroyer level on level ground. It just BARELY turns over. But when I'm on the course and throw hard downhill. It turns WAY more and doesn't fade back well. Ik I'm doing something wrong. Must be OAT, but just wondering.

Its hard changing things after playing for ten years... But its worth it. I've seen such amazing results so far!

My wife didn't have to lol, she just did because she is awesome and I've disc golfed almost everyday since I made this post and have tried all advice I could try. Enough of that though, and thanks for your pointers as well :).

Will do smark, I have thrown the valk in the past but never owned one but always wanted too. I've only ever heard good things about it. I'll get one and give your advice a shot.

Just one more thing to add. I do notice when I'm aiming down hill, the characteristics of my discs seem different. Like if I throw my destroyer level on level ground. It just BARELY turns over. But when I'm on the course and throw hard downhill. It turns WAY more and doesn't fade back well. Ik I'm doing something wrong. Must be OAT, but just wondering.

Its hard changing things after playing for ten years... But its worth it. I've seen such amazing results so far!

My wife didn't have to lol, she just did because she is awesome and I've disc golfed almost everyday since I made this post and have tried all advice I could try. Enough of that though, and thanks for your pointers as well :).

I don't mean to be rude, but I find it mind boggling that you are not familiar with certain disc flight characteristics and behaviors (referring to the comment about throwing downhill) after 10 years of playing.

It will help you improve your game, help you understand your own form flaws, and help you make smarter shot selections if you spend some time learning how disc flight can be affected by and even manipulated with different environmental situations, like wind and elevation, and even affected by changes in your own form. There is loads of information regarding that on this site and other places on the internet.

But just as a starter for you, discs tend to behave more understable when thrown down hill, and they tend to behave more overstable when trying to throw up hill. I am not aerodynamically intelligent and likely can't properly explain why this happens, but this is how it works with elevation. So when throwing your destroyer (or any disc for that matter) downhill, you need to throw it with the mindset that it will behave more understable than you are used to. You can throw with more hyzer to help remedy this.

I strongly suggest trying to find a local league or group of guys you can play with. You can learn lot of little nuisances of the game just by playing and spending time with people who are better than you and have knowledge that you may not have acquired yet.

Latest posts