• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

trying to get a new course put in illinois i need everyones help

bpierce08

Cubby Ace Member
hello everyone my name is bryan and i live in decatur illinois and sadly there are no courses here. but i talked to the park committee and they told me that they are looking for something to put in the park and i made a suggestion about disc golf.. they wanted me to join a group on facebook and i posted a discussion and they told me that the more people that replied to it gave us better chances of getting it put in so if you would kindly leave a comment on it i would greatly appreciate it.. thank you so much.. here is the link.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php...file#!/topic.php?uid=385801071561&topic=13822

Done... Good luck man we have one course here in New Orleans. The guys who run it do a great job... the only thing better than 1 home course is 2 home courses. Let me know how it goes up there, Cause I am thinking about starting the same process here for city park.

thank you guys very much im hoping the park committee will listen and be able to install a new course... :)

Replied...good luck! I'm in Champaign every two weeks or so, and I would definitely come out and play a new course in ol' D-town!!!

When I was traveling through Illinois a few years ago, I was scouting for courses on the PDGA site and found it a little strange a city Decatur's size didn't have a course.

I can't help you with the facebook thing as I don't have an account there, but if you haven't gone this route already, I can give you some links to a few club websites in your area, who can probably give you some planning advice, or at the least post to your page.

http://www.illinoisdiscgolf.com/illinks.html <- List of Illinois Clubs

Bloomington/Normal Disc Golf Club
Springfield Disc Golf Club
Peoria Frisbee Club
Centrailia Disc Golf Club

Last edited:
Done here also. Hope you get one there. When traveling from Southern Ill. to Chicago there isn't much in the way of good courses. If you could do something like Centralia's park then count me in whenever I am close by.

What worked very well for me is stressing that disc golf will use underutilized areas of a park and many times you can use areas where kids go to drink/smoke. Parks people generally love the idea of creating foot traffic in those ares. "Passive recreation" seems to be a current buzz word they like to hear along with "Lifetime game" and small footprint. At the least, a course could have a brick at the tee and a basket at the hole. That means there are two small itmes inserted into the ground so if a parks dept decides they don't like the course it can come out and no one would know the difference.

I applaud your efforts man. I'm happy to help or share my proposals if you like. Hopefully you just fell into the right town at the right time as I did.

I really need to get off my ass and try to get a second close(ish)-to-Boston course built.

Sorry dude facebook is restricted at my work. I'll try to remember when I get home tonight. Always support the sport. I'm also from Illinios (West Chicago) so hopefully I will get to play it someday.

I don't have a facebook account but I wish you all success. Decatur is the old homestead for one side of my family and I still pass through occasionally so I can't wait to play the new course!

if it helps
http://www.sfdiscgolf.org/resources/proposal_2.doc

here is the link to the proposal that got 1 (current) and 1 (proposed) couse in SF. I've read that it's been adapted to help others in different communities also.

much luck.

for the Golden Gate park and McClaren Park (proposed) a lot of the perks were how the area is improved and cleaned up after a DG park is put in. We maintain, clean and do general upkeep... in addition, we've run out all of the druggies and helped keep the area a lot more safe as a result of the hundreds of DG'ers that visit each week.

My name is Brett Comincioli a 1998 graduate of Millikin University in Decatur. I have not been to Decatur since a wedding in 1999. The funny thing is I travel the state of Illinois year to year playing disc golf all over.

I am the President of DISContinuum Disc Golf Club (www.discontinuum.org) and the IL PDGA State Coordinator. Jay Bakula tried to get disc golf going in Decatur several years ago. I have not heard anything since. Here is a link to a discussion thread. It has a link to his website. If there is anything you need let me know.

http://discontinuum.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=2663.0

Hey bryan,
Gonna post in a minute.
I'm on the Peoria frisbee club board if you need help with anything pm me.
Just thinking I could the whole club in on it to help out.

Latest posts