• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Two Courses in Rolla, MO

I had an old Lion's Club member rant at me for 10 minutes about how the disc golf course is the worst thing that ever happened to the park and how the members behind the course are doing it for themselves and don't show up to do the work yada, yada, yada...it was a pretty impressive rant. His main gist was that this was the first project in that park that was being done for a group of members, not for the community. Which of course is B.S. Do you think for one second that there were not some of the guys working on that pier wanted it mostly so they would have a place to fish? Who can go back and say what someone's motivation was?

At any rate, it seems like there are some internal "issues" there. He did say that the baskets are cluttering up the Den, so those evidently have been delivered. I wasn't out there this weekend, but there did not appear to be any new work done last weekend. The project seems stalled, but they are way too far in to back out now.

I was unsuccessful in finding out if there are more work days scheduled, which is why I was talking to the guy in the first place. I'll post if I hear anything.

Best Disc Doubles starts on April 8 at Ber Juan. Be there or be...someplace else. :\

I'm not sure what that guys rant was about, but there are a large number of people on board with the project. The main reason it stalled out was because the weather was soooo bad in february. I was out there last week and they have definitely made quite a bit of progress. This course is going to be really special. You can get a very good feel for all the holes if you go out there. They spray painted recently and it helps follow the course.

The guy that said people in LC are doing this for themselves is a joke because there are probably only a handful of people in the LC that had even ever heard of DG before the project was started. They are using a part of the park that literally had no use before. I can't wait to see the finished product. It will be something that Rolla can really be proud of...

So are there work days scheduled? I have people asking me, but I can't seem to get any info.

Yeah, they moved the work day from tomorrow morning to Sunday at 1:00.

That is official---from a Lions Club member that received an e-mail saying that. If you want to get a taste of the quality of work that is going to go in out there, head over to 16 and look at the bridge that they put together...very nice.

There are a few holes with decent walks, but in these cases, it seems like it is necessary to maximize the land usage.

I asked to be kept in the loop for when work days are....I will try to keep this updated as I hear about them. I am sure they welcome all the help they can get.

Now I'm bummed. I finally had a Saturday free. I have to be at work by 2 on Sunday. :mad: I'll get an email sent out to the people I know about, maybe some folks can get out to help. Are you going to be out at Ozark Mountain?

Long walks between holes are a McCormack trademark. Once you bring him in to design a course, the long walks are a given. So, that's really no surprise. I don't mind a long walk, it beats standing on a tee having people on another hole throwing at you (think the new #2 tee at Ber Juan.) All you have to do is put directional signs up so people know where to go and it's a non-issue in my mind.

Having better communication between the people in the Lions Club who have a positive outlook on the course would be a good thing, because I've had four members complain to me about it. It makes you wonder what is going on when all you hear is the people with a negative outlook. Even if they are the minority, they are getting to be a rather loud minority. I'd rather hear something good.

I have been past Lion's Club several times in the past couple weeks and seen a few trucks of guys working out there even on weekdays. It is coming along...not as quickly as first planned...but coming along none the less. Several more big work days and they could be getting close. And I agree with Odysseus...this course has the potential to be pretty amazing. A ton of variety...I was really struck by how it seems to not favor rightys or leftys...good breakdown of hyzer vs anhyzer shots. I really can't wait to get a chance to play it.

is this course finished yet? I would like to play it before I go home for the summer. Great job on the Ber Juan course!

No, it should have baskets dropped in the next few weeks. It won't be truly completed (concrete tees, permanent signs, etc) till probably early fall...but it will be in very good shape when the baskets drop. The Lions Club has done an AWESOME job...

i have actually been working on the course now for 3 days, i mowed down all the bushes on 15, 16 and 17 and had to dig holes 3, 10, and 12 is still not dug so there can be a pin placed there, those are the only three holes without pins, i am supposed to mow on saturday starting at hole 1 and going through the whole course mowing it down, 8 and 12 need to be level because some guys that were helping thought it would be a good idea to drive through the holes while it was wet, so the ruts need to be smoothed out, they are gonna be grinding stumps not this upcoming weekend but the following and once that is done the only thing left is to place the pins that are missing and assemble and weld the baskets and put them in the pins and then its go time!

Are they wanting to do that this coming weekend? Do they still have the stump grinder?

from what i understand it was supposed to be worked on this morning and should have it back this evening but idk if they are gonna have someone running it during the week or not i am unsure what their plans are at this point, as soon as i will post it to this thread but as of right now the status of the course is still the same, only 1 through 6 has the stumps gone when i went out there today it looks like they have some tee signs set up but i am not sure if that is what they are didnt get a close look at them

so the plans are from what i hear they want to clean hole 14 up a little bit at the corner and i still wasn't told if they have the stump grinder or not i will be out there Thursday with someone so that we can look at 14 and figure out what we need to do on it and will find out then when they will have the grinders back, if u have any questions post them on this thread and i will ask the guy out there on thursday and give u his answer

I walked the course today and it is really coming along well. I know they initially planned on putting benches at each tee. Is that still the plan? I have a feeling, the more benches the better for the out of shape guys playing out there=) The thing I was wondering is if they are gonna thin out all the brush that is piled up around the corner on both sides of 14 towards the green? If you throw a disc in there, it is gonna be ridiculous to get it out....

I am really impressed with how this thing has come together. It is going to be filthy difficult. There are going to be some people that learned to play out at Ber Juan that are in for a surprise=)

i dont know about the benches (i hope they do for your sake odysseus haha kidding) but i can tell u that yes there is an orange ribbon or whatever on 14 that somebody put through there i dont know if u saw it or not but everything from that ribbon to the corner is gonna be taken out except for the trees, they are gonna stay, i will ask about the benches tomorrow

and yes the people that learned to play at ber juan are in for a big surprise haha

Benches are a nice touch and they dress up a course to make it look great, but even as old as I am I mostly just use them as a place to set my bag down while I'm teeing. Disc golf tends to be played at a fast pace. Usually when I play I have some guys one discn', running up to their lie behind me and I have to haul *** just to stay ahead of them. There usually isn't time to sit and stare at the trees unless you are backed up while playing in a tournament. Usually when I find somebody on the course sitting on a bench, they are doing something I'd rather not see.

Besides, Lions Club is mostly flat. Sure it's long, but when we play 7B and walk up the levee four times at Ber Juan that is probably as much of a physical workout as Lions Club will be. What Lions Club is going to be is mentally tough. No more sloppy "that's not what I was trying to do but I have a shot from there" execution on the wooded holes out there. I'm going to have to look up that old Monty Python lumberjack bit, I have a feeling I'm going to be singing that song a lot.

just talked to one of the guys from lions club and he said that hopefully all the stumps will be grounded up this weekend and the baskets can go in, i am hoping this is what happens, i have been waiting too long to play this course

I know you said last week that all of the stuff from the yellow mark in was going to get cleared out on #14. Is that still the plan?

I saw that there were people out there on Sat and Sun...any idea if anything got done?