• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Under Armour Backpack

throwfromthewoods

Double Eagle Member
OK, so my Under Armour Innovate backpack showed up! I couldn't help but start messing around. Here's what I've come up with to start.

First off, I love this bag. It is, by far, my favorite DIY bag I've converted. I just wanted to get that out of the way.

There are so many ways to go, I'm sure I'll tinker with other set-ups. But let's just go with my initial choice. The first thing is the lower sneaker compartment has a zipper divider from the top. So you can open up the whole bag, or build a small frame for the lower compartment and still put the discs on top. I opted to open up the whole bag and ignore the lower opening for now. I'll tell you why. The Innova U-channel divider fits right in. I dropped a plate of Plexiglass on the bottom (picture 1) and set the U-channel right on top. The bag also has inside pockets (picture 2) on either side. Since the discs are going in, they don't really serve much purpose. I actually put a couple smaller Plexiglass plates in there for side support (like a Grip). The front flap folds under, although it has to be zipped up a bit. I'll be using some heavy duty safety pins to hold the zippers from falling down too low.

As you can see (picture 3), the bag stands and everything is sized great. I have 16 in the main compartment, though I know I could fit a couple more if I wanted.

Attachments

• WP_001128.jpg
    WP_001128.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 1,080
  • WP_001129.jpg
    WP_001129.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 917
  • WP_001130.jpg
    WP_001130.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,315
Onto the putters! I put another Plexiglass plate in the back laptop compartment, although it doesn't need it to stand. The reason why I put it in there is because I am going to attach some pockets to the top. Ta-da! Putter quiver (picture 1). You'll also be excited to know the side pockets and outer mesh pockets are also wide enough for discs! (picture 2 and 3) I'm not sure how durable the bag is yet, so I'm not going crazy with pushing the limits. I do know that the mesh pockets also fit a 32 oz. Nalgene easily enough (though no insulation).

Attachments

• WP_001131.jpg
    WP_001131.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 850
  • WP_001132.jpg
    WP_001132.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 734
  • WP_001134.jpg
    WP_001134.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 726
Last edited:
The one side has a pocket that you can put stuff behind, and also has a second zippered pocket in the front (picture 1). The other side pocket is chock full of little pockets, and also a key clip! (picture 2) The straps are also pretty comfortable, and come with a sternum strap (picture 3). The back is very well padded.

You can also avoid using the back laptop compartment for putters and it fits a jacket nicely. The one major con of this bag seems to be its weather resistance. The bottom would need to be plasi-dipped for any decent protection from moisture, and the top is ventilated (it's made to be a training/gym bag).

Overall I'm extremely happy with this bag. It rides high and light. It has a lot of different options to fit your own style. I look forward to taking it out on the course and trying some new configurations. Once I get some time out with it, I'll be sure to report how it holds up to course play. I'll also be getting some zipper pulls and beads in a safety orange/grey scheme to really make the bag pop.

Attachments

• WP_001135.jpg
    WP_001135.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 425
  • WP_001137.jpg
    WP_001137.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 398
  • WP_001139.jpg
    WP_001139.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 418
The one side has a pocket that you can put stuff behind, and also has a second zippered pocket in the front (picture 1). The other side pocket is chock full of little pockets, and also a key clip! (picture 2) The straps are also pretty comfortable, and come with a sternum strap (picture 3). The back is very well padded.

You can also avoid using the back laptop compartment for putters and it fits a jacket nicely. The one major con of this bag seems to be its weather resistance. The bottom would need to be plasi-dipped for any decent protection from moisture, and the top is ventilated (it's made to be a training/gym bag).

Overall I'm extremely happy with this bag. It rides high and light. It has a lot of different options to fit your own style. I look forward to taking it out on the course and trying some new configurations. Once I get some time out with it, I'll be sure to report how it holds up to course play. I'll also be getting some zipper pulls and beads in a safety orange/grey scheme to really make the bag pop.
So now the real question, what is the comparison between the UA and the Cabela XPG?

Very cool. Thanks for the info.
Did you find it less than $100 anywhere? It certainly looks much better than any other DIY backpack I've seen, but at a steeper cost too

I have that bag. I have gym clothes and shoes in it though. Maybe ill switch it up been looking to buy a bag rhis tear and that looks great!

Very cool DIY job on that bag, Throw! But man, the material just doesn't look like it can hold a candle to the Cabela's DIY bag. PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong.

I have punished the SH** out my Cabela's bag (winter disc at least 3 times/week) and it still basically looks brand new. I don't know if that UA bag could handle that.

I might consider grabbing and modding this UA bag for a "Summer Only" bag, but would be a bit nervous playing in winter conditions for 5 - 6 months.

Overall though, nice mod! :hfive:

So now the real question, what is the comparison between the UA and the Cabela XPG?

Which model XPG bag?
Has anyone looked into REI bags? I have some member credit to use up

How do you guys find these backpacks? Is there a keyword in common when looking for them?

Me too! :hfive:

Gonna trudge through some deep Wisconsin snow and play 18 tomorrow.

:wall: I leave for Spring Break Sunday, great right? well it would be if my bag wasn't arriving the next day:wall: Oh well guess I will wait :popcorn: and have a nice package waiting for me next week in addition to some new discs! :D

How do you guys find these backpacks? Is there a keyword in common when looking for them?

I just happened upon the Cabela's/Grip thread on a lark.

If I were you, I would go into

Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Equipment

and search "DIY Backpack" or even just "DIY"

Lots of good stuff out there.

Very cool. Thanks for the info.
Did you find it less than $100 anywhere? It certainly looks much better than any other DIY backpack I've seen, but at a steeper cost too

I paid the $60 from ebags. I'm not sure if it will pop up again at that price. I expect it will at some point. I don't think I'd pay $90 for this bag as a DIY project.

Very cool DIY job on that bag, Throw! But man, the material just doesn't look like it can hold a candle to the Cabela's DIY bag. PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong.

I have punished the SH** out my Cabela's bag (winter disc at least 3 times/week) and it still basically looks brand new. I don't know if that UA bag could handle that.

I might consider grabbing and modding this UA bag for a "Summer Only" bag, but would be a bit nervous playing in winter conditions for 5 - 6 months.

Overall though, nice mod! :hfive:

It's not, but the Cabela's bag is built for outdoor use. I'm not hard on my equipment, so material isn't a huge concern for me unless someone expects me to pay a premium price for it. Aside from the bottom needing to be dipped, I think it should hold up well.

One thing I want to emphasize is that I think this bag is feature-heavy closer to a disc golf bag than Cabelas. The side pockets are wide and spacious (jackets could fit in them too). There are a ton of pockets, a specific pencil pocket, mini pocket, etc. Cabela's works great, don't get me wrong. I think this is just close to a Grip in how it's set up. The Cabela's is a Flak-type bag.

Well, I'm a bit of a nut for these. I just Google image search a lot and dig deeper into bags I think might work. New backpacks get released all year long, so things pop up a lot. Sports bags, fishing bags, hiking bags, etc. tend to work better for what we do.

Last edited:

Latest posts