• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Understable Compliment to the Buzzz

Go with a Z Glide, it holds its annhyzer line the whole way through, is realiable, and never ever flips back on me. Unlike the meteor, the glide needs a lot less power to hold its annhyzer line the whole way through and has proven very reliable for a compliment to an overstable mid range. It's a great disc.

I don't mean to sound like Frank (no offense to Frank), but you should really read the replies before yours to gauge the relevance of your advice. In this case, it is obvious you failed to do so.

I find these to take a long time to beat in to the point where you can throw touch annies rather than torque-over annies. Even when they do get beat enough, they don't lift as they turn. The result is a shot that goes straight out on a hyzer, flips up, and then quickly fades right (almost like a new Buzzz has a small, quick fade left at the very end of a straight flight). It doesn't get the lateral understable movement of the Fuse/Meteor, which both get lift (due to wing design) as they turn over.

I never throw touch anny's, that's what my forehand is for. (Or it's with a putter, not a mid)

I don't mean to sound like Frank (no offense to Frank), but you should really read the replies before yours to gauge the relevance of your advice. In this case, it is obvious you failed to do so.

Yeahhh, I kinda started reading the thread, and after I got to the 2nd page, I just got lazy and decided to post my straight input.

what the hell is a touch anny?

Sometimes it happens when it's a hard knock life...:eek:

Seriously, it's when you shape a shot by throwing an understable disc nice and smooth with a flat/slight anhyzer angle and let it work rather than throwing a more overstable disc hard with a more aggressive angle (which is easy to pull to far to the right on the release) to achieve a similar flight.

I use a beat to death S Warrior as a compliment to my Buzzz's. I do see a flaw with this though. If I lose that disc, I don't have another one even close to being in that state right now. They do have a similar feel in my hand, though. The Warrior is a touch slower than the Buzzz, but not nearly as slow as a Comet. Thanks for the info about beating in an X Buzzz, discspeed, I've been contemplating giving that a try, but I've held off mostly because I've not seen anyone talking about doing it, so I figured there may be a reason. I may give the Fuse a try, if I ever lose my Warrior.

Yeahhh, I kinda started reading the thread, and after I got to the 2nd page, I just got lazy and decided to post my straight input.

No problem...I've just noticed that this is kind of a self perpetuating phenomenon on this site in general. Lots of people post without reading, which results in pages of duplicate answers, and then it makes it even more likely that someone will post without reading (because the thread is several pages of drivel) and it kills any good discussion that is (or potentially could be) going on.

I would say a beat roc would be your best bet. Then you could just replace your buzzz with a used roc cause it can do that and put a new roc in to cover your moderately overstable slot and then you got your mids covered. That being said, I have a new roc, a beat roc, and a buzzz in my bag because a buzzz is the best at what it does and I have kind of relaxed on the whole minimalism thing. If you are too lazy to beat a roc in, I would go with the already mentioned meteor or fuse.

These are the reasons why the Fuse (and even the Meteor) are a better fit with the Buzzz. The same power and line will yield a similar distance and flight with the only different variable being stability. This way you can use the same "touch" you've learned with the Buzzz and simply get the more understable flights you are looking for.

How would the Mako work in this regard?

How would the Mako work in this regard?

I think a Mako is pretty much a Meteor (AKA, exactly like the Buzzz SS) that starts out more overstable, so until it was beat it would be a disc that you have to force over. Of course, it is also quite a bit touchier than a Fuse (like the Meteor). A beat Mako would be a better pairing than something with totally different speed/flight characteristics.

what the hell is a touch anny?

I throw what I consider a touch anny with my Stratus. I throw it with very little torque and lots of spin. It will hold this anny line and actually glide on it while continuing to turn. I do not throw the Buzzz like this because it would stall out instead of continuing its rightward glide.

I too prefer my mids being the same general speed. The Comet was messing up my game a little bit b/c it was so much more noticeably slower than my Nebulae. Opto Fuse fixed that problem.

I too prefer my mids being the same general speed. The Comet was messing up my game a little bit b/c it was so much more noticeably slower than my Nebulae. Opto Fuse fixed that problem.

I don't see how that can be a problem, by your reasoning, driving my destroyer would mess up my form driving a wizard because of the speed difference. The biggest difference isn't the speed, it's the height needed for the discs, and the spin required by the comet to stay true. (which makes it a good learning tool by flipping over at OAT and low spin)

If you throw your Wizard and your Destroyer exactly the same way then you are doing something wrong.

That's not a great analogy. It's the subtlety b/w speeds that will get you b/c you aren't aware of it as much as you would be b/w putter and Destroyer. If you're calibrated into Buzzz throwing mode, a Comet is going to be torqued over too much into a turn and burn occasionally whereas the more speed similar Fuse won't.

If you throw your Wizard and your Destroyer exactly the same way then you are doing something wrong.

That's not a great analogy. It's the subtlety b/w speeds that will get you b/c you aren't aware of it as much as you would be b/w putter and Destroyer. If you're calibrated into Buzzz throwing mode, a Comet is going to be torqued over too much into a turn and burn occasionally whereas the more speed similar Fuse won't.

That's the point though. It's a different disc. Throw it like you would a putter, not a buzzz. Yes it's a mid, but that doesn't mean you throw it like a mid.

I think a Mako is pretty much a Meteor (AKA, exactly like the Buzzz SS) that starts out more overstable, so until it was beat it would be a disc that you have to force over. Of course, it is also quite a bit touchier than a Fuse (like the Meteor). A beat Mako would be a better pairing than something with totally different speed/flight characteristics.

At what point did the GL make its way into your bag over the Opto. Or I guess a better question is what made you change your mind about the GL? I'm pretty much sold on getting a fuse(I have a slight midrange obsession), now just debating which plastic.