• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Understable Compliment to the Buzzz

The answer to this thread is the Meteor and if Discspeed has already posted in here I am gonna guess he said the same thing.

Also don't listen to people saying the comet, comet and buzzz are too different.

I did say the second part up above.

I already have an Elite-X Stratus for the super understable duties like hyzer-flip turnovers and just throwing it high and to the left knowing it will come sailing back down to the right. I'm thinking the Fuse sounds like it will fit nicely between this and my Buzzz.

The FUSE is the absolute perfect answer to this question. I've been using a 177 (same as my Buzzz weight) GL Fuse all season now, and it is completely awesome. It has about zero overlap with the Buzzz and excels at turnovers and anhyzers. It is not nearly as touchy as either the BdoubleS or the Meteor. I never have shots that make me shake my head (unless it's windy) and it is flat and feels pretty much just like my Buzzz in the hand.

Try the Fuse.

The Comet is too fundamentally different in how you must throw it...If you throw it like a Buzzz at Buzzz heights and distances it won't work.

Couldn't agree more. My beat in Nebs and Fuse work splendidly together.

The Optos I tested were definitely as you describe ^^^^, but my orange, flat GLs are -1 less stable, and were that way out of the box. My friend has a heavier, flat blue GL and it flies the same way. Which did you test?

I tested one of each. My GL one was kinda domey though.

Why is the comet being different than the buzz a bad thing? You want them to do different things. If you are looking for an understable mid, why not go with the best?

b/c it requires a whole different throwing style. You want discs that compliment each other, not two mids you have to throw completely differently.

Don't believe the hype.
The glide is what you need.

I carry a Glide, but it's a little too understable for what I'm looking for. I use it for line shaping hyzer flips and turnovers, but there is too great a risk of it rolling if I try for a pure anhyzer.

I throw a Stingray as my understable mid. But I totally get what people are saying about not wanting to have to throw completely differently to get the desired results. And the Stingray is so different in feel and shape that I'm going to have to pay close attention to this thread and possibly consider a different complement to the Buzzzzzzzz.

The Comet is too fundamentally different in how you must throw it...If you throw it like a Buzzz at Buzzz heights and distances it won't work.

Yea, if you want a more buzzz like disc go with the meteor. Comets do require more finess but i don't mind, even though i do consider myself a power player.

Why is the comet being different than the buzz a bad thing? You want them to do different things. If you are looking for an understable mid, why not go with the best?

Exactly

Actually that is like the opposite of good advice. If you want to throw a comet, get a slow stable mid to compliment it. If you have a fast stable mid, get a fast understable mid. The less adjusting you have to do between discs, the better.

Actually that is like the opposite of good advice. If you want to throw a comet, get a slow stable mid to compliment it. If you have a fast stable mid, get a fast understable mid. The less adjusting you have to do between discs, the better.

your logic makes sense, but i'm still going to argue.

b/c it requires a whole different throwing style. You want discs that compliment each other, not two mids you have to throw completely differently.

Frank is right on here. Mold minimalism aside, you absolutely must have some speed class/flight characteristic organization to your bag to develop touch and accuracy. You can't just throw a bunch of random discs together, all different speeds/flight characteristics, and expect to get anything but lucky. You also have to consider other aspects of throwing mechanics such as nose angle, arm vs. snap, etc. On every one of these aspects, the Comet is different than the Buzzz. The throw power and line that takes a Buzzz to 300' will have the Comet grounding out at about 250', but give the Comet 10' more of height and it may go 330'-340'. Use little arm and only snap and the Comet can glide up to 300', but the Buzzz will only go 250' before it drops with the same throw. Whichever of these discs you learn touch with will end up taking over all shots, and the other will have be relegated to a single shot. You cannot learn and throw both with equal ability (unless perhaps they were the only two discs in your entire bag).

Secondly, the Comet is a stable disc, not an understable disc, and so is the Buzzz. If the Comet is understable for you (and is not beat or in the 160s), then you are throwing it wrong (perhaps like a Buzzz) and it will not be predictable.

These are the reasons why the Fuse (and even the Meteor) are a better fit with the Buzzz. The same power and line will yield a similar distance and flight with the only different variable being stability. This way you can use the same "touch" you've learned with the Buzzz and simply get the more understable flights you are looking for.

Go with a Z Glide, it holds its annhyzer line the whole way through, is realiable, and never ever flips back on me. Unlike the meteor, the glide needs a lot less power to hold its annhyzer line the whole way through and has proven very reliable for a compliment to an overstable mid range. It's a great disc.

Get an X buzzz.

I find these to take a long time to beat in to the point where you can throw touch annies rather than torque-over annies. Even when they do get beat enough, they don't lift as they turn. The result is a shot that goes straight out on a hyzer, flips up, and then quickly fades right (almost like a new Buzzz has a small, quick fade left at the very end of a straight flight). It doesn't get the lateral understable movement of the Fuse/Meteor, which both get lift (due to wing design) as they turn over.

I'll second or third the idea of keeping one's mids simillar I speed. I took this advice from frank and it's shown results:)

I was gonna say meteor, but I'm really curious about the fuse thing- it was toted as a comet wannbe? I'm now guessin it's faster? So like a mako?