• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

UnderStable Midrange suggestion

I know its been said before but the X Stratus is the disc I use for these shots. When I throw it crisp and flat it always has a slow, consistent right-hand fade. I keep thinking I'll get rid of it someday but I've never seen a suitable replacement. It's worth it to me to keep it in my bag for those 2 or 3 shots a round that I'll need it.

Nothing beats a Roc. Once you beat in a dx one it gets to a point when it stops getting more understable. Though they do get very understable.

For the shots you described, that is exactly what my med vibram summit does!
Might want to give it a try.

Second this. I stopped using my meteor as the summit is just more dependable (less sensitive at least).

Not as long, but oh so sweet.

just played a quick 12 hole game today and relized I have a hole in my bag for a good understable midrange disc.

Currently for Mids I carry a 174 Opto pain, 2 Axis's 174g and a 180g, and a 173 Z Comet.

What I am looking for is something i can throw flat powered for a 150ft. shot and have it Anny smooth and slow with a touch of fade at the end. Or power up for a ~250ft shot thrown on a decent hyzer and have it flip flat and hold it with as little fade as possible.

I have tried a beat D Buzzz but found it to be unreliable, and the X and Z comets and to picky I want something more forgiving.

What you're looking for sounds just like a beat up DX Roc, but if you don't want to take the time to beat up a Roc, the advice to go with an understable putter also sounds good. I second (or third?) the suggestion to try a Summit, since Vibram putters are so good for driving.

Perhaps I was a bit low on the estimated distances. Anything 150 and down I can usually shape with the ion. I often find myself in a situation with a 180-250ft, low ceiling, tight gap that needs to end or bend right. I find that very hard to do without airing the disc out. I'd much rather throw it down the gap and let the disc do the work. It sounds like the Aftershock in Proline plastic is what I'm looking for,I might also pick up an X stratus.

As you throw an ion.... i'm going to assume that it functions like your short range fairway driver, and thus eliminating anything under a speed of 3. I would normally suggest any sort of putter(esque) options like the Rhyno, XD, Dart or Ion.

In your case, i'd suggest a Newer Buzzz, a lighter Roc / Spider or potentially a leopard. If you are looking for a sidearm option, you might consider a Pig or Teebird/Eagle for the ranges you suggested and the throwing capacity you listed. Be very cognizant of the weight as turnovers are weight (disc) and power sensitive and many reduce their own consistency by trying to overpower a disc that is inherently too heavy for them.

I will also add, that in your case, you might think of 2 options as a 70' variance (as you suggest) might not be best served by making 1 disc fit the full range of options. To me a 180' turnover and a 250' turnover are two different shots with two different discs (Roc/Rhyno vs. Leopard/Teebird). I CAN make any of them work, but i find that trying to extend a disc and push it beyond it's normal means tends to reduce consistency and reliability.

How do people like the Fuse? Is the rim not as small as the Stingray?

No, it's more like a Buzzz. I love mine, they just get better with age. I don't like out the box flippy though, I like to beat them into it.

I had the same problem at the beginning of this season. A friend of mine was throwing a Meteor one day and making it do about anything. I picked one up and havent looked back. Being an all Discraft guy, it just made sense. Between an (old) D-Drone, Z-Buzzz, and ESP Meteor, my midrange game is complete.

I trust my DX Stingrays for any tunnel shot that I need to turn right. Powered down they fly dead straight with very little fade. My only issue with them is the plastic--especially since they get used the most in the woods. They beat into great hyzer-flip discs, but those shots are more difficult to keep low...

The fuse is the best disc ever molded in my opinion. A very slow turn that makes turning and burning harder. GL plastic will hold any line you put it on a little turn NO fade. Opto plastic will turn a little more and then fade back a little. Flip it to flat and then watch it pull right at almost the end of flight flexing out flat. GL is easier to throw and opto gives you some sweet line making options.
This is a long anhyzer hole thrown with a GL fuse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcHcDaSx3Hw

For what you need I would say the opto fuse would work better. a 170 will turn slow and flex back at the end of flight. Also is great out to 350' for a nice straight hyzer flip to flat.

I carry a meteor in my bag for this spot, but searching for something that wont turn as much at the end. With my meteor I have to get a good spin for it not to come back and I dont always get that spin I need:|