• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Upshots - Who throws their putting putters?

If it's open and easy I will use a putting putter just because I'm lazy. Otherwise I tend to use my putting putters for just putting. Putting!

I'm throwing my putting Wizard right now, but it's just because I only have one. Once I get a few more, it'll probably be fresh Wizard, Seasoned Wizard, beat Polecat, and putting Wizard.

I'm in between right now. I'll throw an Aviar on upshots but I don't feel as comfortable with them yet as I do with a Wizard. I put with Aeros, I have a few Star Aeros and an old CE Aero, but I don't throw them on upshots.

The farthest i throw my putting putters is however long a step through putt is. Otherwise i carry throwing putters i will use for approaches

Yes and no for me. I like to take my fresh putters that I want to use for putting, and throw a single round from the shorts with them to give them a little bit of wear on them. After that round, they go into the putting rotation and only get used for putting until they're worn out. Once it's worn out then I will carry it for trick and rescue type shots.

I'll throw my putting putter on any turnover or anny approach out to 150ish. I don't worry as others do since I have a stack of 6 identical that I interchange. I don't have a favorite and just grab 2 from my practice stack when I head out.

Upshot discs? What do you use? Premium or basic plastics? Do you throw your putters? . . .

I had been using baseline Clutch for putting, premium Clutch for driving, and baseline Harp for overstable approaches. I used to throw my putting Clutch for understable approaches, but I stopped doing that when my putter forehands improved.

Had a putter shake-up over the winter, and I will probably use some combination of Harp, Envy, and Atom this year, with exact roles to be determined this spring.

I do throw putting putters around the back yard for a while to wear the "new" off before putting them in the bag.

I have this weird tactile thing with my putters, I can't stand the feel of nicks or chunks missing from my putters (scuffing is fine though). Even those oversize stamps some companies put on their discs can feel irritating under my thumb.

So with that, I only putt with new discs and when they get to that "too irritating for putting stage" they become throwers.

I usually only carry 8 discs, only 1 gets to be my putter. I also approach with it and if it's short enough, drive with it. I don't often approach with my mids unless it's a very specific shot required. Mids are for driving. I'm so used to it like this even when I carry my larger bag with 15 discs, I only use the same putter for everything, even though I will carry 3. I just forget the other 2 are there.

I've been using putters a lot more recently, and as such, my collection has grown. I use my eraser wizard for putting only- an evolution wizard for straight shots off the tee, a Fuzion judge if I need an anhyzer line, a scale for a Hyzer finish, an RFF wizard for approaches that need to stick, like greens on a hill.

So I end up bagging 5 or 6.

I noticed that my putting putter actually gets more abuse (I spin putt, but noticed this to be true of my friend's who put straddle/push putting putters as well) with small nicks, chunks, scars, from hitting the basket/cage/chains/protrusions.

When I tried throwing my putting only putter I noticed how understable the flight was compared to the same exact putter mold/weight for upshots only. I'll usually buy a lot of the same putter (6 aviars, 6 Darts, or 6 novas, ect) and then cycle them, but I'll decide for a week which putter to use as only a putter. Then just cycle them on a weekly basis.

Right before a round I'll do some putting practice and upshot practice with both (same mold/weight) and take note of any slight differences in flight then chose the less stable one for putting that round.

Upshot with a Nova and putt with a KC . I need to buy another Nova as i got mine stuck in a birds nest recently and didn't wanna knock the nest down in case it's in use still (Hoping i didn't smash any eggs on the throw) :doh:

I putt with Warlocks for stability and no bead. I like beaded for throwing putters, so I throw Wizards for straight-OS (plus a gator for upshots/really os) and a Wizard for US. It just works for me. That being said, I only use my putters for putting regardless if they were the same mold or not.

Do you simplify plastics and drive a lot of basic plastic? Do you throw upshots with your putting putters?

I've carried as many as 6 putters at once, and now I only carry 6 discs. My only putter is a D-Line Titanic. It's my go to for approaches inside 150ft and drives inside 250. I'll use a mid for hyzer/flex approaches or low ceilings, but I find myself using my putter more and more.

After 20 rounds + another 100 practice putts, it's developed a little turn from the tee, but nothing a little hyzer can't correct. I might start cycling in the fresh one I use for putting practice, but the one I bag is still slightly more OS.

I'm using neutral putters in soft plastic for putting (Zero Soft Pures atm) and after a few hundred practice putts, they make great discs for short turnovers. For all other approaches/short drives, I use a dedicated neutral (Anode) or crazy overstable (Credo) putter.

I carry just three putters with me one Sonic for putting, one for upshots and then a Classic Roc for hyzer or forehand upshots. All in DX plastic. They've seemed to cover any shot I need.