• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

US Women's Disc Golf Championship

Registration opened last night and the field is already STACKED!

https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/67761

WOW! Stacked is an understatement! Just about every highly ranked FPO player you can think of.

I know they recently redid the Wellspring tee pads, what's the status of the Cedarock tee pads? They've always been kind of short ... and old.

Couldn't help but notice:
Jennifer Allen playing FP40.
Juliana Korver playing FP50.
Ohn Scoggins playing FPO.

...and Scoggins has the 2nd highest rating of the FPO field registered for this event.

Does anyone know whether/when spectator passes will be sold? I haven't been able to find any info and I would like to have my ducks in a row as it's only a 40 minute drive from my house.

Does anyone know whether/when spectator passes will be sold? I haven't been able to find any info and I would like to have my ducks in a row as it's only a 40 minute drive from my house.

They will be released soon. I'll post the link once they are on sale. But we wanted to get registration going for players first.

...and Scoggins has the 2nd highest rating of the FPO field registered for this event.

The DGPT/PDGA has done a great job at not going the MPO route of "bigger and longer is better" application when it comes to FPO course layouts. Thus, with the shorter layouts that are reachable for a majority of the field, it truly is drive for show, putt for dough. And under those circumstances, and Ohn being the greatest female putter in disc golf history, it has served her very well.

I think behind the scenes, the DGPT/PDGA realizes that the women aren't going to wow the audience and drive up the numbers with just sheer bombs off the tee, there are only a couple of women who can do that. They can, however, wow the audience and drive ratings up by shaping shots, banging putts and getting birdies while having a tight leaderboard. On the flip side, the audience wants to see the MPO players bomb shots, and we have what we have on that side.

Last edited:
Simply wow! Very exciting.

I see that Val Mandujano is signed up. Does this mean she is recovered and back on the road?

She has been signed up and then dropped out near the event for every event this year. Gotta sign up in case she can play by then.

Aren't DGPT tour card holders automatically registered for every tour event and have to withdraw in order to be removed from the field? That was my understanding, anyway.

Regardless, Val did announce a few weeks ago, right before Portland, IIRC, that she was fully healed and was going to return for DDO. She hasn't done that previously, only having given an initial timetable and "hoped for" return date and then announcing she wasn't healed and needed an additional unknown amount of time to get back to 100%.

It's always possible that this is more about her sponsor than her ankle, but it's also plausible that going out to the west coast for just one elite event didn't make much sense to her.

Aren't DGPT tour card holders automatically registered for every tour event and have to withdraw in order to be removed from the field? That was my understanding, anyway.

Regardless, Val did announce a few weeks ago, right before Portland, IIRC, that she was fully healed and was going to return for DDO. She hasn't done that previously, only having given an initial timetable and "hoped for" return date and then announcing she wasn't healed and needed an additional unknown amount of time to get back to 100%.

It's always possible that this is more about her sponsor than her ankle, but it's also plausible that going out to the west coast for just one elite event didn't make much sense to her.

I don't think they are automatically registered but they have some option of opting in that is probably as simple as checking a box from a list. Regardless of how those specifics work the TD definitely winds up with a list from DGPT that reflects some players who are not going to wind up playing and wind up dropping out. My direct experience is from a Silver event so it could very well differ from those to Elite.

If she said was ready for DDO then I would think she is and will likely be at all the other stuff.

Rating caveats yada yada but I found a couple items interesting:

Holyn Handley has been steadily posting single-digit finishes with nearly monotonically rising PDGA rating. She currently sits tied for 4th with the likes of Paige Pierce and Hailey King after just a couple years in the sport. Other metrics rank her a little lower and she has a couple middling Elite Series finishes, but I'm curious if she'll be squarely in the conversation for one of the top dog slots by next year.

Still fascinating to me that Salonen is sporting a 964 rating despite her atrocious putting problems. Ohn+Salonen skills probably gets you a 1000-rated FPO. Have we ever seen someone else like Eveliina off the tee?

It seems like a true uphill climb for reasons I sorta understand, but I still root for KT to get that elusive & symbolic 1000 level. Still a little bittersweet that Paige didn't quite make it there from 996.

And seriously, good for Ohn. Frankly a beacon of hope and inspiration for all players.

Last edited:

Is this the event Natalie Ryan qualified for after winning Throw Down The Mountain, or am I getting confused with Throw Pink?

An answer to both. US Women's Disc Golf Championships is not a DGPT event; it is a PDGA Major -- like Worlds, Champions Cup, USDGC, & European Open. Throw Pink is simply an A-tier.

US Women's Disc Golf Championships is not a DGPT event; it is a PDGA Major -- like Worlds, Champions Cup, USDGC, & European Open.

Right, I understand that, but I was talking about all of the other events Val has had to withdraw from in the first half of this year. If Val had registered for a random A tier, say last week, before DDO, it would have been more meaningful than her having been registered for any DGPT event.

Regardless, I don't think Val being registered for USWDGC is particularly meaningful. She would register for that if she had any hope of being healthy enough to play. You don't let that go unless you know you can't play.

Latest posts