• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

USDGC moving to every other year!

Amen David.

It is probably as simple as being burnt out or nearly so and maybe the year off will energize them to create the most amazing event you have ever seen.

I do one tournament a year and it is small and the amount of work that goes into it is ridiculous, I cannot imagine the level of preperation that the USDGC must require. I would not doubt that they start working on the event the next work day after the current one.

Um, planning for the 2011 Vibram Open started about three months BEFORE the 2010 Vibram Open. These types of events (for me at least) are about a 16 month cycle. On January 1, 2011, when registration for the waiting list opens, we've got to have the 2011 Vibram Open pretty much mapped out completely.

The amount of work is insane and we should absolutely thank them for the tremendous efforts over the past decade plus creating this event.

The amount of work is insane.......

.....and yet, there are people insane enough to keep doing it, and even endeavor to create a second prestigious event with nationwide reach (The Players Cup).

God Bless the Insane---
Where would we be without them?

Worst blunder in the history of disc golf is this decision.

A huge setback for the credibility of the sport.

Innova has done a lot for the sport over the years, but this decision only highlights the fact that Innova has way too much control over the sport. A corporation should not have the final say on how often the championship of a country is played.

The pDGA, if it had a backbone, and wasn't the puppet of Innova, should cut ties with the USDGC, and find a way to host the official championships of the US every year. Call it the USDGO (US Disc Golf Open) if they have to---whatever it takes to crown a US Champion every year.

I'd much rather see the pDGA Worlds moved to Europe every other year or Japan or Canada than this boneheaded arrangement with the USDGC.

Either cancel the USDGC forever or keep it an annual event.

Mike Kernan
Cashed at the 2003 USDGC

Same thing as the 1% of us that do couse work experience.

If someone was willing to do the work, it would get done. Very feware.

Innova is the only company WILLING to spend 3 straight weeks (basically shutting down the EAst Coast facility) marking 2 miles of OB with not only metal posts and rope, but string on the ground TIMES 2!! Add in the players packs, added cash and thousands and thousands of dollars that they spend in mulch and other material each year for almost no benefit. 200 pro's who get free or have too many discs 1000 spectators and a non televised event. There is no bang for that buck. So, until someone steps up and offers to run this event, which they wont, Innova is the only show in town and they have no responsibility to the players that don't bring them business to spend the time and energy to run it every year.

Also, consider the 50-70 volunteers that give up 4-5 days every year to spot, drive carts, and prep the courses for US Doubles and the USDGC. These people from the Charlotte Disc Golf Club and surrounding area get no benefit from this event (2 tee shirts), but it would not be what it is without them. What company / club combo would step up to make this happen?

What I would like to see is an alternating Innova / Discraft / Other Company USDGC cycle. Create some competition on who can run the best event...