• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

USDGC moving to every other year!

Disapointed supporter

I look forward to being a part of this tourney even more than celebrating my birthday. I hope Innova knows what they are doing, but I feel like christmas was just cancelled. LONG LIVE THE annual--I mean bi-annual U.S.D.G.C.......

It could be a business decision to save money in a down economy.

I've never seen the course... it sounds a little tricked up to me.

I've never seen the course... it sounds a little tricked up to me.

Roads and ropes FTL. Some day, all OB and hazards on championship courses will be natural. Just need some time (and $$$) for the sport to grow up.

Roads and ropes FTL. Some day, all OB and hazards on championship courses will be natural. Just need some time (and $$$) for the sport to grow up.

Is a man-made lake "natural"?

True, but this problem is solvable by some enterprising folks peddling their asses for sponsorship...I am not saying it is Innova's job, I am saying if you pros want a fatty purse then maybe making the sport better by securing big name sponsorships sort of rests on your shoulders.

I am sure some have tried, I know Val says she has, and I am sure it is not easy...it just takes someone that can look at it from a different perspective and go at it whole hog.

Getting sponsorship for an event like the USDGC takes lots of time and energy. I don't think Innova has gone a lot of cash out of pocket but they do staff the event with lots of their East Coast employees and that has to be factored in to the bottom line.

I've considered doing some AM only events. The local club makes money from AMs due to payout vouchers. They make no money from pros because it all goes to payout. If it wasn't for AMs, most events would be in the Red.

Getting sponsorship for an event like the USDGC takes lots of time and energy. I don't think Innova has gone a lot of cash out of pocket but they do staff the event with lots of their East Coast employees and that has to be factored in to the bottom line.

I've considered doing some AM only events. The local club makes money from AMs due to payout vouchers. They make no money from pros because it all goes to payout. If it wasn't for AMs, most events would be in the Red.

Yea, remember that the East Coast location spends countless hours prepping and staffing the event, during their most busy time of year. Seems like you get more bang for your buck with Am tournys that, like stated above, benefit the local clubs but also Ams are the ones that actually "BUY" discs. Sure the Pro's are the face of the discs... but sponsorship with flagging and banners is only seen by the people attending the event. You reach more people spending that USDGC money/effort on 20-30 B and C tier events across the country.

Is a man-made lake "natural"?

I'd venture it's a lot closer to "natural" than rope is. But maybe if they use cotton rope, not nylon, then they can still claim the course is natural. :)

I think this simply means that Innova is trying to retard the growth of the sport. This is like the USGA having golf's US Open every other year. Unheard of in any other sport. Sad really.

I'm not sure why people here are continually comparing disc golf to other sports that have their championship every year as if that's an obligation or something. There's a little something separating our sport from those sports. Hold down your shift key and hit '4' to find the answer.

There are several things that are frustrating to me after reading the blurb from Innova.

This is the biggest and best PRO event year after year. Alternatining years just flat out sucks!

I could accept the fact if they were getting burnt out. It happens when you run events. They are still going to run an event so that isn't why they are not running it.

If they want to focus on Ams, run the event the weekend prior. They had been running doubles there prior to the USDGC.

If it was financial I don't get that either. They are selling more discs then they ever have. They could run the Am event for a great value and with merchandise at their cost to manufacture. The next option is to take the Rocs that everyone else makes money on and sell them on Ebay. Heck, several just sold for $900 and $600 that J Poole listed. They could limit the production even more and make more money for the USDGC.

The European Open has nothing to do with the USDGC. I don't really understand why they even threw that in there.

I'm not sure why people here are continually comparing disc golf to other sports that have their championship every year as if that's an obligation or something. There's a little something separating our sport from those sports. Hold down your shift key and hit '4' to find the answer.

What's frustrating is that the numbers of players, tournaments, and courses have all skyrocketed. Prize money, not so much. Win a big tourney, get a four-digit paycheck, kind of like it was decades ago.

Seems like someone could figure a way to convert this massive new amount of disc golf activity into some bigger cash for the pros. At this point, we're comparable to the Professional Putters Association which claims $7.5M in prizes over 39 years. But the PPA seems to be fading a bit, while (amateur) disc golf is on the rise, so it could be worse. :|

I don't understand the Innova bashing.

Some folks go way out on a limb and create a unique tournament. Perhaps putting money in, certainly putting a phenomenal amount of labor into it. It's so successful it becomes a major but they, not the PDGA or anyone else, is doing all the work. Unlike Worlds they don't do it as a one-time thing, but every year.

Did they sign a contract commiting them to it for life?

From the beginning, they called it the "United States....Championship" but it's really like the Masters in golf. The word "championship" is way overused in disc golf; no one is called "The Champ" unless they win Worlds. It's not limited to United States players, either.

So anyone else is free to duplicate their efforts. Steve Dodge is trying. I doubt we'll see many others doing so.

Very strange that someone can contribute so much and, when they cut back on their contributions, some people accuse them of being selfish.

Amen David.

It is probably as simple as being burnt out or nearly so and maybe the year off will energize them to create the most amazing event you have ever seen.

I do one tournament a year and it is small and the amount of work that goes into it is ridiculous, I cannot imagine the level of preperation that the USDGC must require. I would not doubt that they start working on the event the next work day after the current one.

Among the amazing comments was that Innova is trying to retard the growth of disc golf.

If they're making money with the USDGC---how can we blast them for turning down the money every other year?

If they're losing money with the USDGC---how can we blast them for deciding to lose less money? (Wouldn't you?)

It reminds me of the comment that everyone has an idea how to make things better---and it always involves them doing the same as they've been doing.

I lament the change in the USDGC. But I find it hard to criticize volunteers, because I never cared for it when I volunteered. And I find it hard to criticize businesses for choosing not to lose money; in our business we choose not to lose money as well.

Latest posts