• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

USDGC moving to every other year!

Recognize the silver lining is the sport is growing fast internationally and that can only help the potential visibility and interest in the U.S. population and media over time. Innova needs to turn toward global growth with its overseas partners besides increasing emphasis on the growth of U.S. amateur play.

That's what they say... I've spent time in many European countries and I have to say that disc golf is barely even in its infancy over there (except perhaps Finno-Scandia, I've not been there yet...going next year!). I know they'd like to grow the sport there, but it is only really growing fast in 2 countries (Sweden and Finland), and not diffusing to the south any faster than a snail would slither around the Baltic Sea.

Check out France, a country slightly bigger than Texas (and 3X the population) with...3-ish barely passable courses in all? Sheesh, they have such an incredibly long climb to go! Switzerland is maybe the most dense in southern Europe, but again only a couple passable courses in public park space. In Austria the disc golf association there told me they only have a few object courses that were open for 2-3 hours per week, and some of these were being eliminated! A buddy of mine played in Britain and said that they were amazed when he threw over 250' in their boggy courses...he had fun, but reported they were also just in the infancy of disc golf.

So most Europe is about where the US was with disc golf development about 40 years ago. Almost nobody has heard of it (even among alternative sport enthusiasts), 99.99999% of people would have to travel a minimum of 4-5 hours by train to get anywhere close to a passable quality course, and the pace of growth is maddeningly slow.

Compare with the US, where the number of courses has skyrocketed over the past decade, almost a 10X increase in the density of courses in a decade, which is amazing! Few people anywhere in the US need to travel more than 1 hour to gain access to a passable course, and most people live in urban centers where there are many fine courses and large communities of disc golfers. Some have even argued that the sport is out-growing the PDGA, which might be true in some ways.

And Innova/PDGA claims Europe is ready to go "big time" and alternate with an event like the USDGC? I don't buy it. I think those of them who have traveled over there to experience disc golf were going to big events in Finno-Scandia and all the players and interested public in the entire continent came out of the woodwork, giving a false impression that disc golf is going "big time" in Europe. They can't have traveled around randomly in Europe, looking for disc golf opportunities and having their hopes dashed over and over and over again at every turn (even when a course is listed, it isn't necessarily in existence, or upkept, or even open longer than a couple hours a week).

I was at the Innova factory (picking up baskets for some new courses in Asheville) a few weeks ago when I heard this. We asked why and there was never a clear answer given. I think it's just a pain in the ass to run a tourney that big every year (finding sponsors, dealing with the University, etc...).

We were kinda confused by it.

Makes going to this year's USDGC more special.
DSCJNKY

I don't know if this is the reason or not; but this seems an opportunity to point out that players seem to think TDs and clubs, etc. are making money hand over fist in regards to tourneys. I have directed a couple small tourneys and assisted in quite a number; and there is really a small margin of financial gain involved. A realm I have had much more involvement with, in the past few years, is softball leagues/tourneys. There, as well, I can speak first hand, to the fact that players feel they are entitled to great things regarding their entrance fees to these events; when, in fact , most of these entities barely break even. Concessions (which adds another whole level of headaches), are the primary money makers; and given the economy these days, as well as drunk driving penalties, has caused concession money to go down the drain in a big way.
Getting back to disc golf; AM tourneys generate much more cash flow than pro tourneys. If you go to the boards of those in the process of running large pro events; you will find discussions regarding this fact; and statements to effect; "why would we even want to run pro events?" Spectators and television cash are what makes the professional sports world profitable. Neither are present in disc golf.
Plastic sales are where the money is at for Innova. Europe is a relatively untapped market. Television opportunities for the USDGC haven't exactly panned out....

I was at the Innova factory (picking up baskets for some new courses in Asheville) a few weeks ago when I heard this. We asked why and there was never a clear answer given. I think it's just a pain in the ass to run a tourney that big every year (finding sponsors, dealing with the University, etc...).

We were kinda confused by it.

Makes going to this year's USDGC more special.
DSCJNKY

My guess is you're right, especially after doing it so many years.

Also, they may feel that disc golf needed it more when they began but, with the enormous growth since 1999, it's less important to do every year. When the USDGC began there was no National Tour, nor events like the former Players Cup or the future Players Cup.

I'm not sure, but it seems I remember that they didn't originally envision the USDGC to be held at Winthrop every year, but hoped to start something that would eventually rotate around the country.

Harold's always been pretty open about their decisions and I'm sure we'll find out at some point.

Not to doubt the source, but is this notice posted officially, anywhere? I couldn't find it on the PDGA, USDGC, or Innova websites. Only in discussion threads.

This is the copy of the news release I received in my email this morning. it was emailed to all the partners.

For immediate release:
August 25, 2010
This year marks the 12th anniversary of the United States Disc Golf Championship (USDGC). Since its inception in 1999, the USDGC has grown into one of disc golf's premier championship events. Innova Disc Golf, in association with the event's many volunteers, sponsors, USDGC Partners, Winthrop University, and the Professional Disc Golf Association, is extremely proud to have been such an integral part of our game's history.
Innova considers it a privilege to be in a leadership position. We have seen disc golf, and our business, grow and change tremendously over nearly three decades. The disc golf market is continually expanding and Innova is more committed than ever to improving our service to this incredibly diverse community of players.
In recognition of the growth of disc golf around the globe, we have decided to move the USDGC to a biennial schedule. Effective immediately, the USDGC will alternate years with Europe's major event – The European Open. The USDGC will be held in even numbered years and the European Open in odd numbered years. This will enable better global promotion of professional disc golf, as well as afford us an opportunity to serve another important segment of the disc golf population.
Amateur and recreational golfers represent the fastest growing portion of the disc golf community. With these players in mind, a new event will visit the famous grounds at Winthrop University in 2011. Details will be forthcoming, but two of the guiding principles will be: Amateurism and Fun Competition in a Professional Setting at Winthrop. Despite these changes our mission remains the same; to live disc golf and to enable others to discover such a wonderful lifetime sport.
We are excited about the future of disc golf, more so than ever before. Opportunity for the game's advancement abounds. We are confident that this new schedule will allow the USDGC to sustain its tradition of excellence, while building an even better fan base for the game's elite.
One thing you can count on this fall is that Innova and the USDGC family are steadily preparing for our greatest tournament experience to date. We look forward to October, and to seeing you here.
Warmest regards,
Innova Disc Golf

Can't say that I like the idea for the USDGC, but going to an every other, or possibly every third year schedule might help out some of the NT stops, and perhaps some A-tiers as well.

The Kansas City Wide Open is a tournament that comes to mind. Since they put on Worlds last year, its been running as a B-tier so they don't need to drain club funds to feed the pro purse. The Discraft Great Lakes Open also went down to a B-tier this year.

An interesting sidenote, at least for me personally, is that we're holding a 1-day event this year on the Sunday after the USDGC at Stoney Hill (about 70 miles from Winthrop). Our hope has been to make it a tradition, sort of like "Monday after the Masters", where people around here can join the gallery at USDGC on Saturday then play a tournament on Sunday. Or, if any USDGC players desire, a chance to play both.

A tradition thwarted before it began. It'll happen this year, of course, and then we'll see where we go in the future.

Thanks, twoputt, for posting that news release. I'd read it but didn't know its origin. Since it was emailed to partners, I guess they haven't posted it to a webpage yet.

My guy at Innova told me about this decision a while ago. I was wondering when it would be announced. I told him at the time that I thought it was a bad decision and that the negative feed back would be strong.

Also in saying that, I understand that sometimes the hardest decisions or the ones we don't agree with end out working out the best.

An interesting sidenote, at least for me personally, is that we're holding a 1-day event this year on the Sunday after the USDGC at Stoney Hill (about 70 miles from Winthrop). Our hope has been to make it a tradition, sort of like "Monday after the Masters", where people around here can join the gallery at USDGC on Saturday then play a tournament on Sunday. Or, if any USDGC players desire, a chance to play both.

A tradition thwarted before it began. It'll happen this year, of course, and then we'll see where we go in the future.

Maybe make Stoney Hill a big event in the years the USDGC isn't offered?

My guy at Innova told me about this decision a while ago. I was wondering when it would be announced. I told him at the time that I thought it was a bad decision and that the negative feed back would be strong.

Also in saying that, I understand that sometimes the hardest decisions or the ones we don't agree with end out working out the best.

this one though could easily backfire, especially in the states

The decision and the wording of the press release point clearly to the obvious: there is more money to be made (a greater ROI) for Innova in catering to Europe (the next frontier) and catering to recreational players than dumping inordinate amounts of time and money to the "professionals".

The decision and the wording of the press release point clearly to the obvious: there is more money to be made (a greater ROI) for Innova in catering to Europe (the next frontier) and catering to recreational players than dumping inordinate amounts of time and money to the "professionals".

the whole "It's about growing the sport" thing didnt make you a believer:\

I have business to business experience with them to give me a better perspective on that press release.

I agree with a lot here that Innova has been more than generous to me and the events I've put on over the years. I've considered the USDGC like the Masters...the one true major on our sport at the same course every year.

My guess is this decision didn't come lightly and that they gave it lots of thought before making the decision. I was planning on working the event again this year but backed out due to family coming in for a visit. Now I wish I could still go...

What's funny is how much the memo reads like every corporate BS memo ever written. "We go back a long time; you are wonderful and very important to us; that's why we hate having to fire 100 of you." I wish Innova could just come out and say they make less money on the pros than on the amateurs, and will be funding tournaments accordingly. I think most would understand. They're a corporation, not a charity, and they're supposed to make money.

Looking at pro versus am PDGA membership and event participation, it's clear that the players have done the math. They'd rather pay $30 or $40 and get discs instead of $70 or $80 and get an outside shot at cash. In the early days of disc golf, pro was the only way to go, and amateurs were all pros-in-training. Now, the smart decision is to stay amateur forever, have fun, and let the pros trade entry fee money. Innova is just acknowledging the trend.

True, but this problem is solvable by some enterprising folks peddling their asses for sponsorship...I am not saying it is Innova's job, I am saying if you pros want a fatty purse then maybe making the sport better by securing big name sponsorships sort of rests on your shoulders.

I am sure some have tried, I know Val says she has, and I am sure it is not easy...it just takes someone that can look at it from a different perspective and go at it whole hog.

Maybe make Stoney Hill a big event in the years the USDGC isn't offered?

We have our big event in April. Besides, if the big Am event at Winthrop is the same weekend, it will presumably cover both days and thus tighten the already-tight calendar around here.

It'll be interesting to see if anyone else creates a USDGC-like event somewhere else, either on an annual basis, or in the years the USDGC isn't run. There's nothing preventing it, but I doubt it will happen. Anyone considering it will realize just how much labor, and perhaps financial support, Innova has expended.

The closest candidate is the Players Cup; it would be great to see it grow to USDGC-scale prestige.

What I want to know is, who/where will the 2011 Am world champion play with/at. Will they be allowed to qualify for the USDGC the next year or play with the 2010 champ at the European open...(which will be hard to get to for an Am) Wonder if one of the major companies could sponsor the Am worlds winner's trip to Europe...that would be cool.

Latest posts