• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

USDGC News Release

Biennial in addition to the BunCR rule and now potentially the no run up. Way to send this tournament down the toilet quickly.

It wouldn't surprise me but I haven't heard anything official. The RC is updating the rulebook for 2011. Maybe their idea is to check out how well "stand & deliver" works to reduce foot faults on a few holes in a competition environment at the USDGC since Harold is on the RC.

Chuck Kennedy said:
It wouldn't surprise me but I haven't heard anything official. The RC is updating the rulebook for 2011. Maybe their idea is to check out how well "stand & deliver" works to reduce foot faults on a few holes in a competition environment at the USDGC since Harold is on the RC.

Are foot faults really that big of a worry. I think that if the PDGA were to institute a stand & deliver rule, it would hurt the sport. That would be like asking a soccer player to stand still and kick the ball. I for one probably wouldn't play the sport anymore.

The BunCR rule is also completely ridiculous. I say this because after watching the final round lead card last year, Nikko was able to throw "OB" and still make a bird on one of the holes.

abcd said:
Frank Delicious said:
Where'd you hear that rumor Blurr?

It's been talked about several times on the pDGA board.

edit: here's one for example http://www.pdga.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=28229

I know about the stand and deliver rule, I wanted to know where he heard it was happening at the USDGCs next time.

My knees hurt just thinking about this rule. Lets hope the pDGA comes to the realization that they are already a joke and don't need any more embarrassment.

How dumb do you have to be to ruin the best hole in disc golf (Winthrop Gold 5)?

Man, Gold 5 would kill me as it is. It would be ridiculous with a stand and deliver rule in place.

NoLifeLeft said:
So.... What about the USDGC Rocs?
they will be rarer and even more expensive :roll: .......unless this move drives the USDGC into the shitter (which if they also go stand and deliver it might)

I bet most of you "stand & deliver" on a few shots every round on your courses so it's not like you don't know how or can't do it. The 2012 Worlds in Charlotte will be S&D for many shots in all those wooded courses.

And basketball used to be played with only set shots. Somewhere along the line someone figured out the game was more exciting with the jump shot. Watching a disc soar 500+ ft. Is part of the thrill of this game and is ultimately the type of thing that will drive spectators to the sport. Stand and deliver is a great way to shoot the sport in the foot.

Disc golf is about the accuracy of getting shots to and into the basket. Throwing whatever distance means nothing if it's not accurate. Note that spectatorship at disc golf events after 30 years has still not matched the spectatorship for Frisbee events in the 70s and early 80s. Perhaps precision of execution and accuracy was impressive to spectators of that time and distance in disc golf became a yawn in comparison, except for the participants?

Chuck Kennedy said:
I bet most of you "stand & deliver" on a few shots every round on your courses so it's not like you don't know how or can't do it. The 2012 Worlds in Charlotte will be S&D for many shots in all those wooded courses.

I also throw a few forehand shots on my home course. Does that mean I should be FORCED to throw forehand on all my shots except off the tee? :roll:

quote="Chuck Kennedy"]Disc golf is about the accuracy of getting shots to and into the basket. Throwing whatever distance means nothing if it's not accurate. Note that spectatorship at disc golf events after 30 years has still not matched the spectatorship for Frisbee events in the 70s and early 80s. Perhaps precision of execution and accuracy was impressive to spectators of that time and distance in disc golf became a yawn in comparison, except for the participants?[/quote]

Why change the game to cater to spectators? That's like saying all Nascar events should be run on a figure 8 track because the majority of people like to crashes.

BunCR rule also gave Josh Anthon his record round. It took him 3 shots to get in bounds on 17 and then 1 putt, giving him a 4 instead of a 6 due to no penalty strokes.

Chuck Kennedy said:
sure most of us can stand in one place and throw an alright shot, but I can stand in one place and throw a ~430 foot forehand, I think that the gap that would appear between players who can do this well and players who simply cant (95% id say) would be much more of a problem than a couple foot faults........but hey maybe if they do this i can go to USDGC and cash 8)

I'll cut my bangs if stand and deliver becomes a rule. I'll do it. I mean screw the pdga. They took our jobs!

Stand and deliver is stupid as hell. I know we are just a small group of people around here, but I have not seen one person say they want that rule to be brought into our game. Hopefully the PDGA will take note of that.