• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

USDGC on Discgolfplanet.tv

Image matters. Plain and simple.

You can disagree with what image you want to convey, but we still judge books by their covers.

(As I did just a few posts ago) :|

Speak for yourself. I don't judge people by their image. And I don't want the rules shaped by a bunch of people with issues like that. I want to see players play as well as possible, I don't even care if he played shirtless. Plenty of legitimate sports are contested shirtless for performance reasons. This is county club golf mentality and it's silly. So there :p

Speak for yourself. I don't judge people by their image.

I'm sorry, but you do. We all do. Whether you catch yourself doing it is another matter.

It's not my opinion, but a fact that image matters. And it matters most when the PDGA is trying to expand DG, especially when they want to attract bigger sponsors, and change the perception of the game.

It may be "country club" and a smack in the face to the roots of disc golf. But, it's where we're at today.

Who gives a crap what clothes the players are wearing? Play in something that's comfortable.

Disclaimer: Everything below is based on social norms. If you disagree with them, do not read any further.

Can't our finest pros play in something that's comfortable and professional? Dressing professionally tells someone that you take your position seriously and expect respect. And it is my opinion that you should want respect for any hard earned position you have gained.

It's a workplace. Restrictions are made in every workplace as to what is acceptable. Call it "country club mentality," but in very few workplaces is image not a concern... Especially in the category of respected, professional sports.

The athletes are entertainers, particularly in the larger events.

I am not criticizing any competitor's personal style, simply arguing that in the public eye, dress is a very important means of conveying information

Disclaimer: Everything below is based on social norms. If you disagree with them, do not read any further.

Can't our finest pros play in something that's comfortable and professional? Dressing professionally tells someone that you take your position seriously and expect respect. And it is my opinion that you should want respect for any hard earned position you have gained.

It's a workplace. Restrictions are made in every workplace as to what is acceptable. Call it "country club mentality," but in very few workplaces is image not a concern... Especially in the category of respected, professional sports.

The athletes are entertainers, particularly in the larger events.

I am not criticizing any competitor's personal style, simply arguing that in the public eye, dress is a very important means of conveying information

Well said sir. I completely agree.

In the spirit of the original topic, my two cents is that they coverage of this event was a big step in the right direction. Multiple cameras. Helicam. Talking heads at a central location. Huge advances.

Agreed. The DGP.tv broadcast is definitely improving. The flyover shots were awesome. Immediate, post round interview was well coordinated and the multi-view coverage was great.

Speak for yourself. I don't judge people by their image. And I don't want the rules shaped by a bunch of people with issues like that. I want to see players play as well as possible, I don't even care if he played shirtless. Plenty of legitimate sports are contested shirtless for performance reasons. This is county club golf mentality and it's silly. So there :p

So, if the PDGA wants big sponsors like nike and big coverage like ESPN (which they do, as do most of us), ESPN is going to ask to see some footage. The pdga will say "sure, here's coverage of the final round of this sport's most prestigious event." They will then see anthon wearing his affliction shirt and backwards hat and think "wow, this is what the top players dress like? This really must be a hippie sport." And the sport is set back another few years.

Will and Ricky both wore collared shirts, and they both looked comfortable. In fact, they both played great. What's wrong with wearing athletic, collared shirts and somewhat nice shorts?

Over a road and parking lot THAT'S CLOSED TO TRAFFIC. Is it a good design for an every day course? No. But for the tournament by itself, there's really nothing wrong with it, and it's one of the more unique and challenging holes in all of disc golf.

And there were a couple years, following the police training exercise incident (2003, btw), where they kept the basket on the tee side of the road and never crossed the parking lot at all. It was a much poorer hole overall.

Throwing over a parking lot there is no different than throwing over the lake on hole 5...only you get to retrieve your discs from the OB on hole 13.

Please tell me one other sport where the course of normal play results in playing over a parking lot and a road and hitting a parking lot light pole, like Anthon did in round 3.

It doesn't exist. Football, basketball, baseball, soccer, boxing, rugby, cricket, tennis, hockey, volleyball, gymnastics, track and field, winter sports, and even our sister sport golf: they all of their own field of play. None of these sports require utilizing the same area as a place where only a few hours beforehand or afterwards is a road where cars drive!

It's really a joke. :thmbdown:

I thought the coverage was really good nice commentary. I thought Josh's shirt was better than will's pink striped collared shirt with some weird writing on the back. But besides that it was an exciting final round especially when hynoski hit that 400ft eagle then blew it on 17. It had some real drama. the fly overs were awesome.

Disc golf doesn't have the money to have our own field of play. It requires too much land, which is damn expensive. Unless you want to start paying nearly ball golf prices for rounds, DG is what it is. That course has always gone through Winthrop U and that hole has gone over the parking lot for all but a year or two <I know they continued down the strip of land in 2005, when borg won>.

Please tell me one other sport where the course of normal play results in playing over a parking lot and a road and hitting a parking lot light pole, like Anthon did in round 3.

It doesn't exist. Football, basketball, baseball, soccer, boxing, rugby, cricket, tennis, hockey, volleyball, gymnastics, track and field, winter sports, and even our sister sport golf: they all of their own field of play. None of these sports require utilizing the same area as a place where only a few hours beforehand or afterwards is a road where cars drive!

It's really a joke. :thmbdown:

The parking lot hole puts disc golf on an even footing with croquet and lawn darts.

Ha! Ha! Just kidding. I try to imagine the complaints, when ball golf was in development, about playing courses with bunkers. Bunkers were just part of the terrain because of wars, and became part of the game of ball golf. We no longer having cannon and and mortars littering the British isles with bunkers. Bunkers now only exist on ball golf courses. The game of disc golf is developing in an age of parking lots. Maybe one day we'll all have teleport belts, and parking lots will only be built on disc golf courses. :)

I definitely agree that professionals at a "televised" tournament should be wearing better attire, for the simple fact that I want to see disc golf on ESPN one day and as long as people are dressed like a college freshman going to 7 AM class, the best we can hope for is ESPN 8 The Ocho.

Disc golf is on the verge of exploding, the same way that poker exploded a few years ago. Someone will pick it up, we need to be prepared. I am not making a judgement about the people and their choice of attire, I am simply stating that the rules of dress should be re-worked and enforced by the PDGA for Open division play.

The PDGA already has a bit more specific dress code than the USGA which only requires neat appearance and long slacks in their Championships as you can see here:

In Local and Sectional Qualifying stages and the Championship proper, players must be neat in appearance with respect to clothing and personal grooming. The Committee in charge decides whether this requirement has been met, and has authority to withdraw the entry of a player who does not comply. The wearing of short pants is prohibited in the Championship proper, but is permissible in Local and Sectional Qualifying provided the host club does not have a dress code prohibiting such.

Worrying about anything more than the current policy at the org level (PDGA) is unnecessary. Sponsors are the ones who dictate dress for their sponsored players or their events. If the sport eventually gets spectators, it will get big sponsors. They will determine a more restrictive dress code or surprise! they may want to encourage more "rad" dress than collared shirts.

At this point, worrying about what individual players look like on camera also doesn't matter for the pro version of our sport, just the viewers' opinons of each individual since it is an individual sport. In fact, seeing less conventional dressers may help the sport at the grassroots level (coolness factor, think snowboarding). If the viewer and spectator numbers are there, a few "rogue" looking players is not going to discourage potential big sponsors. It's eyeball count that matters to them. If they decide to underwrite a future event, their policies can dictate what people wear, that is if they really care.

I definitely agree that professionals at a "televised" tournament should be wearing better attire, for the simple fact that I want to see disc golf on ESPN one day and as long as people are dressed like a college freshman going to 7 AM class, the best we can hope for is ESPN 8 The Ocho.

Disc golf is on the verge of exploding, the same way that poker exploded a few years ago. Someone will pick it up, we need to be prepared. I am not making a judgement about the people and their choice of attire, I am simply stating that the rules of dress should be re-worked and enforced by the PDGA for Open division play.

Agreed. Though I wouldn't mind having Cotton Mcknight and Pepper Brooks commentating!

c32fc368.jpg

We need to be well-dressed to be on ESPN? Tell that to the snow and skate boarders. Wasn't it in the Olympics that the snowboard team had jean snow pants?