• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

USDGC on Discgolfplanet.tv

Worrying about anything more than the current policy at the org level (PDGA) is unnecessary. Sponsors are the ones who dictate dress for their sponsored players or their events. If the sport eventually gets spectators, it will get big sponsors. They will determine a more restrictive dress code or surprise! they may want to encourage more "rad" dress than collared shirts.

Chuck makes a great point here.

I don't see disc golf ever picking up the big athletic sponsors (Nike seems the big one that everyone points to). If disc golf goes "mainstream", it will be in more towards the niche-sport, X-Games "mainstream" than the stick and ball mainstream. The major sponsors I envision for disc golf are energy drinks, beer, "skater" clothing lines (I'm the least fashionable person in the world, but you know what I mean, etc.
I think Anthon dressing like Anthon is what makes disc golf so great. It's a sport where its competitors come from many different walks of life.

Please tell me one other sport where the course of normal play results in playing over a parking lot and a road and hitting a parking lot light pole, like Anthon did in round 3.

It doesn't exist. Football, basketball, baseball, soccer, boxing, rugby, cricket, tennis, hockey, volleyball, gymnastics, track and field, winter sports, and even our sister sport golf: they all of their own field of play. None of these sports require utilizing the same area as a place where only a few hours beforehand or afterwards is a road where cars drive!

It's really a joke. :thmbdown:

wingolddebate.jpg

I like the love it part. If espn got ahold of it they would turn the sport into ****. You really wanna goto your local course and have it filled with the rich kids and having to pay course fees. That's not what disc golf is about.

Please tell me one other sport where the course of normal play results in playing over a parking lot and a road and hitting a parking lot light pole, like Anthon did in round 3.

Cross country
Marathon
Criterium
NASCAR
Formula 1

Edited: Oh - sorry. You only wanted one other sport.

Last edited:

The oldest golf course in the world has a hole that plays directly over a hotel and street.

The irony is only the parking lot seems to bug you and not the two miles of rope, bamboo fences, sidewalks, flying buttresses on home run walls, roads, tennis fences, temporary wooden dock tee, etc. Seems like once you start going a ways down the artificial path, then lots of other manmade elements just continue the same idea.

Cotton needs a new pair of shorts

He is dead right there. Nice jongoff

There is a hole in my area that plays over a residential street and a couple of houses if you are brave enough to cut the dogleg (I always go for it). I have also seen courses with tournaments on TV where the pros go over residential areas while cutting doglegs. I have watched John Daly hit into a pool while trying to cut a bit too much off a dogleg.

The PDGA already has a bit more specific dress code than the USGA which only requires neat appearance and long slacks in their Championships as you can see here:

In Local and Sectional Qualifying stages and the Championship proper, players must be neat in appearance with respect to clothing and personal grooming. The Committee in charge decides whether this requirement has been met, and has authority to withdraw the entry of a player who does not comply. The wearing of short pants is prohibited in the Championship proper, but is permissible in Local and Sectional Qualifying provided the host club does not have a dress code prohibiting such.

Worrying about anything more than the current policy at the org level (PDGA) is unnecessary. Sponsors are the ones who dictate dress for their sponsored players or their events. If the sport eventually gets spectators, it will get big sponsors. They will determine a more restrictive dress code or surprise! they may want to encourage more "rad" dress than collared shirts.

At this point, worrying about what individual players look like on camera also doesn't matter for the pro version of our sport, just the viewers' opinons of each individual since it is an individual sport. In fact, seeing less conventional dressers may help the sport at the grassroots level (coolness factor, think snowboarding). If the viewer and spectator numbers are there, a few "rogue" looking players is not going to discourage potential big sponsors. It's eyeball count that matters to them. If they decide to underwrite a future event, their policies can dictate what people wear, that is if they really care.

I understand your argument, but here's some more talking points:

Yes, but without the major sponsor input in this area, shouldn't we strive to ensure that a minimum level of professionalism is met in attire? Why wait for the sponsors and risk giving possible viewers/spectators a negative impression (e.g. our pros aren't serious) at key events?

Given the current rules and the general, free interpretation of them by the professionals, I think a definite image has been established. Shouldn't we further define our baseline rules to eliminate any questionable attire?

I think you missed the point that for now, it's only individuals who might look suspect, not the sport. We may think it's a sport, but it's not really a sport in the pop culture sense until enough people watch it, and when they watch it in large enough numbers the bigger sponsors will come, and when the sponsors come the dress codes may come as a contingency for the money to come. The PDGA does have a dress code policy already so it's not like the effort hasn't been made for the time being.

The Players Cup next week might have some live video. I didn't check to see their plans.