• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

USDGC to air on ESPN2

I didn't watch all of it because I've already watched the coverage on youtube and because it is 5:15 and I'm working, but what I did see looked fantastic.

With that said, if I didn't play disc golf, I don't think this would make me want to take it up.

It's a starting point. I think an international event at an incredible course like the EU Open in Nokia would show really well on TV. That coverage to me is the most TV ready.

I felt last night's coverage was better than when CBS Sports aired the Dynamic Discs Open back in September?. If I remember correctly, CBS Sports did a 1 hour show. ESPN2 did 2 hours.
Even with a 2 hour show it's impossible to get every throw, but I think they did a good job last night. (at one point I believe they skipped 6 holes)
They did a good job of reserving a large portion of time (like 50 minutes) to the last 4-5 holes for both the men's and women's.
As always, Sexton and Koling sounded good. (a little toned down from their usual stuff)
Overall, I thought the 2 hour broadcast was very solid.

The coverage was nicely polished, the commercials as professional as anything else on tv. I would find that course fun and challengingly similar to a # of PNW courses, but a few park-like holes might have showcased the pros driving skills a bit better.

Still, the showing left me wondering: up and coming, or just desperate for any sports? After all, there's marble races on the airwaves now....

Last edited:
It was nice to see it on TV like that. The camera work and disc golf commercials were great. On the mens side it is too bad they didn't have Eagle, Mcbeth, or Wysocki. Kind of missed having those big names on there. I enjoyed watching it, but I would have liked to see more than just those 8 players. I also would have liked to see some of the recovery shots from the tree hits. So many times I saw a tree hit and then it skipped ahead and didn't show how they got out (but I get many people don't want to see them struggle too badly or simply pitch out from the woods). It made them seem more relatable because they actually had some shanks, tree hits, badly missed putts etc that showed their vulnerabilities, but it also showed some amazing lines and skill shots. Overall nice to see

Anyone know when this will be up? It was Jomez' production, yes?

I did not catch it as I don't have cable hooked up, but I do note that a coworker of mine mentioned he saw it today. Says it looks fun and hard (all too true).

Talk about exposure for the sport! I told him when things are "back to normal" I'll take him to the course and to bring his kids.

Someone above mentioned ideal course layouts for showcasing on TV to the general audience.

I can imagine a challenging course with a variety of shot shapes and layouts would be ideal - thinking The Beast. Dramatic shots over water, tight wooded fairways, not too many OB ropes.

Anyone know when this will be up? It was Jomez' production, yes?

I did not catch it as I don't have cable hooked up, but I do note that a coworker of mine mentioned he saw it today. Says it looks fun and hard (all too true).

Talk about exposure for the sport! I told him when things are "back to normal" I'll take him to the course and to bring his kids.

This will not be on Jomez YouTube channel. This is exclusive to ESPN. But, they do have their full shot-by-shot coverage of the finale.

Already had someone sign up on the local group saying they watched last night and wanted to get started.

Even more people to buy up the discs I want and to get in front of me on the fairway!

It was nice to see it on TV like that. The camera work and disc golf commercials were great. On the mens side it is too bad they didn't have Eagle, Mcbeth, or Wysocki. Kind of missed having those big names on there. I enjoyed watching it, but I would have liked to see more than just those 8 players. I also would have liked to see some of the recovery shots from the tree hits. So many times I saw a tree hit and then it skipped ahead and didn't show how they got out (but I get many people don't want to see them struggle too badly or simply pitch out from the woods). It made them seem more relatable because they actually had some shanks, tree hits, badly missed putts etc that showed their vulnerabilities, but it also showed some amazing lines and skill shots. Overall nice to see

There were plenty of "save" shots shown. But I agree that a times, the missing 2nd shots was a bit jarring.

That, and the skipped holes, no doubt derived from editing essentially two final rounds into a single 2-hour production. Something was bound to get lost. Which isn't to fault them; decisions had to be made, and that's what lost out.

Having watched both broadcasts, I felt the ESPN2 broadcast just seemed better than the one CBS Sports did.
The fact that both the men's and women's events came down to the last few throws was probably the biggest reason.
The historic payout for the Tour Championship was also very compelling. Nate and Jerm mentioned the money a lot.
I felt they did a good job of covering Lisa Fajkus even though she was out of it after 5 holes.
Catrina's blowup on 17 was brutal.

I DVR'd it, but started last night with about a half hour to go. Not sure if recordings count as views...

Does this include streamers at all? For example: I logged in to my parents' cable account via my Roku's ESPN app.

I wonder what ESPN's internal numbers say.