• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

I threw a Lace today. It surprisingly bombs. Too wide for me to use regularly but yeah, pretty good no wind/tailwind max D disc.

I wish Vibram would make a driver between the Laces and the Traks though.

I threw a Lace today. It surprisingly bombs. Too wide for me to use regularly but yeah, pretty good no wind/tailwind max D disc.

Yep, easy (sometimes surprisingly so) D with the Lace.

..Ascent...?

..Ascent...?

Ascent feels thinner than the Trak does but my hand could be lying to me. I'm talking about something around a Sword/Wraith/Surge/Destroyer. Fast but not extremely wide.

Ascent feels thinner than the Trak does but my hand could be lying to me. I'm talking about something around a Sword/Wraith/Surge/Destroyer. Fast but not extremely wide.
I've been rooting for that as well, but the prevailing opinion appears to be that they're more likely to fill in more OS/US complements to their current lineups before they consider filling speed gaps.

I've been rooting for that as well, but the prevailing opinion appears to be that they're more likely to fill in more OS/US complements to their current lineups before they consider filling speed gaps.

I hope they change their mind... I would be more likely to purchase a speed 10-11 driver before any OS/US complements of the current lineup. Except possibly an US mid.

I hope they change their mind... I would be more likely to purchase a speed 10-11 driver before any OS/US complements of the current lineup. Except possibly an US mid.

I'm sure Vibram will fill in these voids once they get their 4 mids, 4 fwy, and 4 dd all filled in like Steve has said in past posts. They still have 5 discs to fill in before their 4-way grid is complete. But yes, I do agree a speed 9 or 10 would be really nice to replace my Firebirds. I'd say in 5 years they'll have one out haha

I like the way Vibram takes their time - the whole testing and prototype business with the O-Lace was excellent, because they got it right. The O-Lace is too much disc for me, but I like the anticipation of their next disc, and the probability I will be able to try it via a Birdie Bash.

I'm cool with that since these aren't great for cycling. Even with my short fingers, I was surprised how well I was able to grip the Lace, probably b/c of the rubber. It's not something I'd want to do permanently but it's doable.
Good post. An understable mid probably is their biggest hole as far as I can tell.

Pondering picking up my first Vibram. No one here in Louisville has any to sell, so I can't fondle the various firmnesses. I'm thinking of a Soft Ibex. I do have one of the Vibram minis and it's really floppy. Is that what the Soft discs feel like or are they a bit firmer? I can certainly imagine a full size disc staying put even better than my R Pro Rhyno.

Pondering picking up my first Vibram. No one here in Louisville has any to sell, so I can't fondle the various firmnesses. I'm thinking of a Soft Ibex. I do have one of the Vibram minis and it's really floppy. Is that what the Soft discs feel like or are they a bit firmer? I can certainly imagine a full size disc staying put even better than my R Pro Rhyno.

I love the Softs but they are crazy floppy - certainly more so than anything you'll get from Discraft or Innova. You can fold a Soft Vibram into quarters and put it in your pocket, no joke. Great for utility shots that you need to hit and stick, but not what I'd recommend for your first Vibram.

I'm pretty sure the minis are Medium. The Mediums are generally a bit more malleable than DX/Champ/Star/etc, but I wouldn't call them floppy. Probably
stiffer than the mini you have. I think they're the perfect stiffness, but I tend to prefer a little give. The Firms are certainly stiffer, but their feel is a bit closer to plastic, meaning they're a bit less distinctive feeling than the Mediums. I'd strongly recommend starting with a Medium, myself.

My mini is definately the same soft rubber, i also prefer the medium over firm or soft. As for the ibex its bit more understable in soft and has nice forward fade, havent used it for a while since it was turning over bit too often. 2012 vibram open medium/firm ibex is probably the straightest disc i have :clap:

Steve has stated before the minis are made of the same compounds as the shoe soles, by coincidence they are as floppy as softs. It is a good comparison though. As for the ibex you'll probably prefer it in medium, it just doesn't feel as good in firm. I like firm for my putting ridges, slightly more os ascents and starting to love the firm olace, been beating it up here lately hopefully it can kick out the stable lace I have.

Debating between a 170 Ibex that looks like a green version of Jupiter and a soft 164 in all blue. Decisions...I normally hate green discs for the "crap where did it go" factor, but that one looks pretty awesome. heh. 170 is usually the absolute heaviest I want my mids too. Maybe try the medium for now and snag a soft if I really like the medium. I the end it's only money and the marketplace is always here *grin*

Was there ever a mold change on the Ascent?

I found an old firm one a while back and recently got another firm one in my TD sampler pack and I swear the new one looks wider/taller rimmed than the old one, like a spacer or something was used.

I'm cool with that since these aren't great for cycling. Even with my short fingers, I was surprised how well I was able to grip the Lace, probably b/c of the rubber. It's not something I'd want to do permanently but it's doable.

Good post. An understable mid probably is their biggest hole as far as I can tell.

I believe its doesn't feel as big in the hand because of the slightly rounded underside of the rim.

I believe its doesn't feel as big in the hand because of the slightly rounded underside of the rim.

Did they actually stick with that change after using it on the Trek and finding that it did not make it understable enough? I might have go back back and start fondling my initial production run Ascents to the new ones I have.