• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

After signing up to get my butt kicked in the open divison down at The Memorial this year, I did a quick check and was very pleased to see that most of the Pinnacle team from Vibram is going to be there. Ross, Mitch and Dana in Open and Vinnie in Open Masters. Way to represent Team Vibram!

Did they actually stick with that change after using it on the Trek and finding that it did not make it understable enough? I might have go back back and start fondling my initial production run Ascents to the new ones I have.

I was talking about the Lace.

But I do believe there was a tweak in the Ascent mold.

Oh dana, I did get to try my glow olace yesterday. Meaty goodness threw it against my slightly beaten firm at 170 and med 175, the glow is 174. The glow had noticeably less glide than the others but flew just as straight with a straight to hyzer immediate fade. Very nice. The firm olace is becoming an awesome flick disc since I've finally began learning to flick again after 2 years of only backhand.

Last edited:
Field threw the molds from TD pack that I didn't have prior experience with today, let me know if this sounds about right.

175 F Un-Lace: Holy schnike this is flippy. It's like a distance driver designed for children undergoing chemo.

161 F O-Lace: Really good HSS, pretty solid LSS, probably moderately overstable for big arms like a Boss but not necessarily beefy overstable.

175 M Sole: Straight with dependable fade, decent glide. Kind of BB Aviar-ish

173 M Obex: Very Wasp, KC Pro Roc like. Very straight when you crank on it, beefy at lower speeds.

173 F Ascent: Just a hint of high speed turn and a good helping of low speed fade. Kind of Eagle-X like, maybe a little faster but not as much glide.

The O-Lace is exactly like what everyone has described. I have two 175g Mediums and they fly straight and then get overstable at the end. Pretty much like a new Destroyer. Not beefy at all but more overstable than a Lace. Exactly like the Obex being a slightly more stable compliment to the Ibex.

On another note....

What is Vibram's first 2014 disc going to be? Do they put out the 420B as the true beefy version of the Lace to complete their long range drivers? Do they experiment with a massively overstable fairway driver? Or do they decide to go back to their midranges and develop a massively overstable or understable mid? In 2013 they announced what would become the 420B in April so we have a ways to go but it is always fun to get the speculation going!

After signing up to get my butt kicked in the open divison down at The Memorial this year, I did a quick check and was very pleased to see that most of the Pinnacle team from Vibram is going to be there. Ross, Mitch and Dana in Open and Vinnie in Open Masters. Way to represent Team Vibram!

See ya there!

Anyone get any Vibram for Christmas?

See ya there!

Anyone get any Vibram for Christmas?

I bought myself and extra Lace, UnLace, O-Lace and Ascent in case I throw one into the ponds at the Memorial in AZ. Hopefully that won't happen and I'll play well enough to get a chance to play with you the second, third or even fourth rounds.

I'm really interested about Vibram discs now.. I've always liked durable discs but usually the more durable disc, the less grip. I'm definitely going to order some soon to see if I like them.

I have one question too.. Is Regular X-link tackier than Firm?

in my experience it hasn't really been a matter of the surface feel changing - that will vary with each disc a little bit. vibram has really great grip all around. i do prefer firm, but that's because when it rains i want as little flex in my putters as possible to avoid the rim slipping out from my grip when things get really drenched. i don't throw vibram's mids or drivers anymore, though i did flirt with them for a bit.

as far as durability, i can't claim it doesn't break in like plastic does - i will say it takes a helluva lot more to actually DAMAGE the disc for the most part, though.

Last edited:
Okay. How about the durability between soft, regular and firm? I could imagine soft being the most durable as it flexes a lot on hits.

I only use med and firm Vibram discs. I really don't throw the firms at all any more, but I use the med for all my putters, whether it is summer or winter. I personally don't think the firms are as grippy as the medium X-link and the soft Vibrams that i've tried are to floppy.

yzsn.png

This is the feel I get from floppy discs :D I'm going to try a Firm and maybe a Regular Summit.

Didn't come out how I wanted but it still looks cool. Looks like the speed force is coming out. Gotta find a tackier vinyl for vibrams. On another note multiple dip dyes can push the primary color down into the pores of the rubber showing the lighter color on top. I'm finding some yellow swirls in the red, very cool looking.

Attachments

• IMG_20140103_192845_767.jpg
    IMG_20140103_192845_767.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
summit's good stuff. i do like their putter lineup; i think it's great. the only thing i would change about them is i wish the ridge flew farther like the wizard . . . but at the same time i don't. it's a love/hate thing.

I wont ever give up my vibram putter trio. For approach shots they go where I tell them to. They dont glide away from me like a Wizard or Ion. They just get thrown as far as they're thrown and sit down. And the Ridge is straight dope money from 50 feet.

BEST discs I own. I don't think you will regret buying a regular Summit, in fact you should probably buy a couple of them! :D

I have 4...i'm only slightly addicted. But i use the summit as my putting putter.

But I do have trouble deciding between the ridge and the sole. I don't see a reason to carry both, simply because they pretty much do the same thing. Right now I'm leaning towards the sole, because of the distance potential is greater. Which is nice having a putter with a little more distance and glide. Anyone else feeling my pain picking between to awesome disc?

Latest posts