• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

Have any of the testers or Vibram pros on here heard any whispers at all about Vibram releasing a new model this year?

I am a tester but haven't seen or heard anything. Steve said they were aiming to release 2-3 molds this year but nothing guaranteed. Vibram's shoe soles are obviously the #1 priority and I am sure that impacts the amount of time it takes to come out with new molds.

On a different note, I never realized that Bradley Williams uses Vibram. I know that he isn't sponsored by Vibram (or anyone else) but it was pretty cool to see him nailing putts with a Vibram putter in the chase card at worlds. Anybody know which putter he was using? I am guessing a Sole?

On a different note, I never realized that Bradley Williams uses Vibram. I know that he isn't sponsored by Vibram (or anyone else) but it was pretty cool to see him nailing putts with a Vibram putter in the chase card at worlds. Anybody know which putter he was using? I am guessing a Sole?

from an email conversation we had -- I would say you are right.

I mostly throw Overstable. I have 22 discs in my bag now .... My putters don't have beads on them.

Vibram's shoe soles are obviously the #1 priority and I am sure that impacts the amount of time it takes to come out with new molds.

I think the shoe soles and the discs are two entirely different parts of the same company.

So... are medium or firm Ascents more stable? Same with the Obex's

I have a soft Ascent 168 g. Seems to fight the wind really well. Not sure that it'll EVER lose its stability. My theory is 'no, it won't.' Interested to see...

The softs require you to use clean, flat form, which is ideal for winds. It's hard enough to judge the wind standing at the tee-box... making a good disc golf shot becomes more complicated if you're not using good form/technique. The softs really help to correct form/technique errors.

So i have gone all Vibram and would love to post some reviews of what i think of the rubber.

sole- best putter that vibram has, great glide and holds the line you put it on.
ridge- great drop out putter. at the end of flight will just drop out of the sky
vp- have not thrown just yet
summit- nice understable putter for anhyzer putts and approach anhyzers.

mid
ibex- holds straight and has amazing glide.
obex- will fly straight and hyzer pretty fast. love it.

fairway
ascent- overstable and will hold a straight line and will always fade
Trak- i love this disc. has great glide and will hold any line it is put on. i mainly use for anhyzer shots

drivers
o lace- i can reliably throw on an anhyzer line and have it come back. straight hyzer shots
lace- i have 2 mediums and they are both overstable but some rad distance on them.
solace- go to forehand disc. i love the overstability
unlace- hyzer flip long distance shots but wind has to be non existant. or tailwind. do not throw this in a headwind. good beginner roller disc.

So i have gone all Vibram and would love to post some reviews of what i think of the rubber.

sole- best putter that vibram has, great glide and holds the line you put it on.
ridge- great drop out putter. at the end of flight will just drop out of the sky
vp- have not thrown just yet
summit- nice understable putter for anhyzer putts and approach anhyzers.

mid
ibex- holds straight and has amazing glide.
obex- will fly straight and hyzer pretty fast. love it.

fairway
ascent- overstable and will hold a straight line and will always fade
Trak- i love this disc. has great glide and will hold any line it is put on. i mainly use for anhyzer shots

drivers
o lace- i can reliably throw on an anhyzer line and have it come back. straight hyzer shots
lace- i have 2 mediums and they are both overstable but some rad distance on them.
solace- go to forehand disc. i love the overstability
unlace- hyzer flip long distance shots but wind has to be non existant. or tailwind. do not throw this in a headwind. good beginner roller disc.

All vibram is the way to goooo! And get VP, an overstable putter dream :)

Vibram advice

Hey. I have several ibexes and I love them. All mediums 159 171 173. Really straight And consistent. I drive, approach and put with them. Looking for something that finishes on an anny line a little easier though. Is that going to be a summit? Wish vibram had a few more molds in the mid category as obex's way too over stable FiR me IMO. The ibex is just perfect almost, unless you need something to fade hard and fast. I'm using the ridge I got in a three pack for more fade and hyzer puts, but I want an easier to throw anny putter and a meat hook putter. VP and summit on my radar obviously. But are they a similar feel to ridge in the hand? I'm playing these ibexes all the time because I love gripping the same all the time and altering my throw.
Tried the medium Lace, 167, but the one I got had an uneven dome and doesn't fly that consistent. Granted I've always had mixed results with high speed drivers, this one seems to be a miss for me. Always too under stable when forehanded and has a small window of success. either hooks up too far, or never does. Hates any kind of a head or side wind. Only can throw in a calm situation. Which makes it useless to me. Tee birds are my go to drivers. So ascent my next choice. What about a solace? These still around?
Anyone got tips on firm vs medium as it relates to stability? Have found the stability to be highly affected by weight, as my three ibexes are very different stability's. Which I like. How different , if at all will a firm ibex fly than a medium? Is a firm lace gonna be more stable than the medium?
Anyway loving these disks and have been more competitive since I put away my plastic drivers, and throwing just an ibex and a ridge for everything. Just want a more under stable mid and or putter. Maybe a go to vibram driver and I'll be stoked.

Thanks.

1 vote for each fairway driver huh? Haha. I throw a star that will turnover a little to a lot. And a champion/manTbird that will turn a bit, but mostly straight. Pretty stable discs. Is the solace still being made? Otherwise think the ascent is next to exchange that lace for.

My ascents are definitely closer to teebirds than my traks. I love both fairway drivers but the trak has quite a bit more turn when I throw it with less dump at the end. Trak is a great straight/gentle turning disc while the ascent is pretty straight with a good amount of finishing fade.

...with less dump at the end..
"Dump" is a perfect way to describe that extra "fade" that happens when a Vibram disc runs out of spin high in the air. They crash way harder than plastic discs do. Not a bad thing. It just highlights my high/bad throws :D

Hey. I have several ibexes and I love them. All mediums 159 171 173. Really straight And consistent. I drive, approach and put with them. Looking for something that finishes on an anny line a little easier though.

For me, a beat firm Ibex will keep that anny line, whereas my mediums will always fade at the end. The firm also has less glide. And yeah, it is similar to a Summit, but faster.

I've heard that the Ascent is like a teebird/eagle, or "teagle." My friends agree with that when they see me throw mine. I have two mediums, one at 172 and the other at 152. They are very fun to throw!

Latest posts