• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

With the drivers yes, but only toward brutal tree hits, as far as slight kicks or hard impacts with the ground they stay in the sweet spot longer than any disc I've ever owned. Hot water treatment has fixed all my flippy laces, I wasn't prepared for it today either. Took some muscle to get it to fly straight for 300 feet, I wasn't throwing well today:wall:. Until I lost it today I had been throwing a first run lace I got as a preorder from Justin at community discs, which I think was about a year ago. Its had some good wear and tear.

I haven't noticed it too much with the lace, but all of my ascents and traks started out beefier than advertised, broke in after a bit, then stayed in that stability for a long time. As an example I've got a 159 firm trak that's pretty much brand new...flies like an upper 160s teebird that's fresh. Once it breaks in though it'll carve some nasty lines.

Question for the group:
What are the tiny markings on the underside of some Vibrams?

Number 1: I assume this means first run?
Star: ?
Square: ?

Anyone see any markings besides the three above?

Well I won a medium 169g lace last night for being the points leader for our league. Its definitely going in the bag for big turnovers and hyzer-flips.

Pretty excited to bomb that thing.

4504357_orig.jpg

This flight chart seems to debunk the notion that disc width = disc speed. The only Vibram disc that flies its ideal flight at a lower speed than the Unlace is the Summit. It really is a special disc for those with average arms. I've been having a blast breaking all my distance records with it, such as they are.

it's funny, what they were saying in that video was exactly what happened.

my friend threw a hissy fit and dumped his bag out, told me to take what i wanted . . . so took back everything i'd ever given him, including my summit.

guess which disc won me the 200$ ace pot today.

it's true. buying vibram discs actually gives you money.

Just curious on how to fix this Lace.

I have a 159 M Lace that used to provide some awesome distance for me. Now it flips even with an almost 45 degree hyzer. If I throw with anymore hyzer, it rolls. Would the fabled hot-water or microwave trick work with this disc to restore some of its stability?

I have found a couple more reasons why I love the UnLace. Here are all the shots I can think of that I threw with my UnLace this weekend at Colroado States: Bomb Anhyzer, Backhand Roller, Forehand Roller, Backhand Hyzer Flip with a right to left wind. There may have been more. Of those, the one that impressed me the most was the Backhand Hyzer Flip with Right to Left wind. Huge distance with a tough wind to get distance.

I was able to fondle a 420B this weekend and boy I am super excited to get a production run of one of these along with the 420D O-Lace when it comes out.

4504357_orig.jpg

This flight chart seems to debunk the notion that disc width = disc speed. The only Vibram disc that flies its ideal flight at a lower speed than the Unlace is the Summit. It really is a special disc for those with average arms. I've been having a blast breaking all my distance records with it, such as they are.
Hmmm...I guess this chart could explain why I throw my Ridges around 240' with the depicted flight, while the same throw with my Summits result in an immediate and severe turnover....I'm throwing the Summits too hard? Next time I'm out, I'll try throwing the Summits at around 70-80% and see if I can get a flight truer to the chart.

Summit first flight thoughts- VIP chatter

Aim did you get those summits?

oh yesssss. threw one yesterday for the first time and will say its the only vibram putter I actually enjoyed and found unique from the vp/ridge/sole. It actually can break 300' and glides a lot better than their other putters but kinda too HSS understable to be a driving putter for me-- great upshot disc though I can see that already.

took these out to somerset DGC (first time pretty fun 12 hole course!) with my buddy today and he had a sick ace run on this hole bounce off front of basket so i step up and throw my ION and hit the bottom of the pole under. 2 aces would have been dope but ill take a double metal hit here:

fb72ea3a.jpg

summit is the first vibram putter I have found to be unique and very useable for up-shots/touch shots with tons more glide and way less HSS than the other 3 putters. Fun catch disc too I bet in soft... hmm!

With the drivers yes, but only toward brutal tree hits, as far as slight kicks or hard impacts with the ground they stay in the sweet spot longer than any disc I've ever owned. Hot water treatment has fixed all my flippy laces, I wasn't prepared for it today either. Took some muscle to get it to fly straight for 300 feet, I wasn't throwing well today:wall:. Until I lost it today I had been throwing a first run lace I got as a preorder from Justin at community discs, which I think was about a year ago. Its had some good wear and tear.

Can you elaborate on this "hot water treatment"? I'm unfamiliar.

As an update to my previous post, I bought a new firmer, heavier (so as to be more stable, I think it's 175g) lace and I absolutely love it. I'm hoping it will hold out longer. The original one is pretty funny because I have it really dialed; throw 300ft or less and it's very nice, try to throw farther than that and boosh it just flips and dives to the right. I would love to get it back into a more usable state as I only really got a month of use out of it.

Summit Love: I used the Summit on hole 17 at USDGC all 4 rounds and put it on the green all 4 rounds! 3/4 drives were legit ace runs.

Can you elaborate on this "hot water treatment"? I'm unfamiliar.

As an update to my previous post, I bought a new firmer, heavier (so as to be more stable, I think it's 175g) lace and I absolutely love it. I'm hoping it will hold out longer. The original one is pretty funny because I have it really dialed; throw 300ft or less and it's very nice, try to throw farther than that and boosh it just flips and dives to the right. I would love to get it back into a more usable state as I only really got a month of use out of it.
Basically vibram rubber has the best memory of any disc manufacturer, the material actually remembers how it used to be shaped, beaten discs can be heated with hot water and brought back toward its original shape. I use my faucet, hot water heater is set higher than normal, and it brings some stability back to the disc as well as keeping the glide that was beaten into it. I've been doing this for awhile now with very nice results, kept a firm ridge from the top sinking and becoming flippy.