• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

I know Steve has mentioned that there is some variance in the discs by nature, but this is true across the board and is within the bounds of legality according to the PDGA. I would guess that you will see the most variance from one type of rubber or plastic to another. DX shrinks more as it cools than does Champion. So, there must be some compound in the Vibram X-Link rubbers that with more of it in there causes less shrinkage in the process. Based on what you have said about it being firm versus medium I am going to say it has something to do with the hardening compounds.

Ahh thanks for reiterating, somehow I missed that in the first thread.

So I'm building a Vibram bag, rubbers for my nutsac.

Going sole (closest to a wizard in stability based on flight charts), ibex, obex, trak, and ascent.

My question is does their understable fairway turn decently? I normally throw Teebirds and rivers for fairways and want somewhat similar discs. I throw around 300' with a good toss of a Teebird.

the flatter traks seem to have a bit more turn to them in my experience. domey ones will turn if you get up on it. i used wizards for a while and like the ridge moreso than the sole. if you can feel both putters up before buying one i would.

So I'm building a Vibram bag, rubbers for my nutsac.

Going sole (closest to a wizard in stability based on flight charts), ibex, obex, trak, and ascent.

My question is does their understable fairway turn decently? I normally throw Teebirds and rivers for fairways and want somewhat similar discs. I throw around 300' with a good toss of a Teebird.

I would recommend going with the Ridge instead of the sole.

Could always putt w/ the Sole and throw the Ridge?

I wonder what Steve has going on down at BG Ams this week? He usually has something fun going on at the flymart as well as some sort of contest/giveaway.

I posted this question in the Lace thread, but I bet there are more people over here who have thrown enough Laces to answer.

Is there a difference in the stability/flight characteristics between the 2012 Players Cup Laces and current production run Laces?

The Sole seems like the least appreciated Vibram putter - I threw one for a round and really liked the way it felt in the hand.

i haven't thrown one of the player's cup laces. i'd guess they are production run laces also???
Well, there are a couple noticeable differences to the discs themselves. They don't have "Lace" embossed on them and have a thicker full color stamp on them like this one. That Obex has the embossed disc name on it, but the Lace I have doesn't.

I currently have an Innova/Vibram bag. Love my Ibex for dead straight shots and putt with the Ridge. I had a Roc3 that I was using for my overstable midrange. It took a swim a few days ago and I was unable to find it. Of course, I would rather replace it with a Vibram and was wondering if the Obex can fill that roll. Basically something I can throw flat and always finish left, fight off a cross wind and not turn, or for those tight dog legs where you know the disc will bend perfectly around a tree to the basket. Let me know if the Obex is for me. Thanks for all the help!

I currently have an Innova/Vibram bag. Love my Ibex for dead straight shots and putt with the Ridge. I had a Roc3 that I was using for my overstable midrange. It took a swim a few days ago and I was unable to find it. Of course, I would rather replace it with a Vibram and was wondering if the Obex can fill that roll. Basically something I can throw flat and always finish left, fight off a cross wind and not turn, or for those tight dog legs where you know the disc will bend perfectly around a tree to the basket. Let me know if the Obex is for me. Thanks for all the help!

Don't kid yourself, all the Vibram discs are for you. Ha. That being said, the Obex is theoretically most like the Roc, but that does not mean it is the same. I love the feel of the Obex much better and can get it to do pretty much the same things as a Roc. Yet, it is different.

The Sole seems like the least appreciated Vibram putter - I threw one for a round and really liked the way it felt in the hand.

That is because the VP, Ridge and Summit are so stinking awesome that the Sole just feels well, not the same. I had a Sole in my bag for a while and realized I had Summits when I needed it to bend right and a Ridge when I wanted it to go straight. The Sole got flippy for me so it isn't the Summit and it isn't the Ridge. I just don't need it in my bag and I love having the Ridge and Summit.

I have 7 plastic discs left in my bag, all on the overstable and understable sides, the spots they don't quite yet have covered. Most can be workable for those spots but mine haven't reached that point or I haven't used them in that way.

That is because the VP, Ridge and Summit are so stinking awesome that the Sole just feels well, not the same. I had a Sole in my bag for a while and realized I had Summits when I needed it to bend right and a Ridge when I wanted it to go straight. The Sole got flippy for me so it isn't the Summit and it isn't the Ridge. I just don't need it in my bag and I love having the Ridge and Summit.

:clap:

I think its like when some guy came up with Pinot Noir.
All the snotty Frenchies said, "No no ! we only like Bordeaux wines, what is this Pinot Noir, is this cat urine ? "
Then they tried it and they liked it.
But some closed minded people only like Chardonnay, so thats why Steve came up with the Sole.

Doing a lot of 3-5 disc rounds right now. I've been using the Sole a lot. Very versatile as a driver and putter. I've been throwing the Obex lately as well on many of my shots just to shape lines and see what it's/my limitations are for that disc. They feel similar to me and are a good mid/put combo. Probably right about the Ridge and the Wizard though.