• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Vibram Discs (don't get caught without your rubber)

SO I got in a round with my new Ascents. I liked these a LOT more than I tought I would going into the round. They sounded very Sabre ish. Not that the Sabre is a bad disc (I really like sabres) its that I don't need that slot filled.

I think Blake's Teegle-X is dead on. I was tossing these in the 360-370 range and they flew super consistant throw to throw. The wind didn't effect their flight much, just the distance. They have virtually zero skip, which could be good or bad depending on your wants. I also didn't see the lasck of glide a problem. Mine aren't flat, but there's not a lot of dome. Also, there are too soft for my tastes. This was all on just one round and about 20 shots.

I am on vacation this week and plan on getting in a lot of golf once I get done with my honey do's.

I got my Ascents this weekend, of course they came the day of a tourney!!! I can't wait to give them some throws this week! Nice pinkish/orange!

As for the the sunken Ridges I have one but still flies the same as the others. The X-Link Soft VP's, Summits and Ridges are all money when you need an upshot to stick, these things hit and don't go anywhere, just make sure they are on a major edge when they hit or they do have the potential to roll as does any thing that is round. But they worked well for what I wanted them for. Great grip too! Get yours tomorrow!!!!

I too got my ascents. They fly very teebirdish but were easier to get flat for me, hyzer flipped nicely into a headwind. I need more throws with it before I can make a judgement on them, but they were a bit shorter than most of my teebird tosses and didn't glide as well. They do however penetrate better than a teebird or an eagle. Mine were a puke/fall leaf color, which isn't good at all for the upcoming leaf season in NE. They are really grippy but kinda soft, I like the grip but not the floppyness. They will probably be great for winter golf like that tho.

Looky Looky...I got a Cookie!

ascent.jpg

Tim Red Beard said:
.. a word of warning [on the X-Link Softs] don't leave them outside in the elements. I have one that turned from grippy to super slick and brittle, I have passed this along to Steve and the disc which he will pass along to R&D and Quality to see what the deal is. I left mine in my practice basket that's why it got the way it did.

You are correct here Tim. These discs are almost pure rubber and they will break down in the sun. Proper care for these discs would be to not leave them outside in direct sunlight. With proper care, they are the most durable and grippy disc material ever created. I've not yet been able to scuff one, but one wrong day or two in direct sunlight and they will go brittle on you.

Initial remarks are: Pink one is 175g, orange is 172g. These two are really flat, no dome to speak of. I think as a result of that the rim depth feels shallow? I have big hands though so who knows. They are fairly flexible, but without throwing them who knows. I love the smell of a new vibram disc, what ever it is it is great!

josser said:
Marauder said:
My X-Link Firm Ridge top has sunken a little overtime but that's normal right? I like the disc and the way she flies. Probably my favorite out of the 3 putters.

This is kind of why I was asking. I have no sense how sunken might be normal and how sunken would be due to the infamous 3rd shift.

Flat would be normal. Sunken would be caused by improper cooling. Any amount of sunken, especially on a brand-new one, is probably a sunken top Ridge. I have been testing some of the sunken tops and had people tell me that with the sunken tops they finish straighter. I was unable to convince myself if this was true. Either way, if you would like, please feel free to return the disc to my attention and I will replace it with a proper flat top.

Mad Scientist said:
peppermack said:
...I love the smell of a new vibram disc, what ever it is it is great!

Me too! I feel weird for constantly sniffing my Ridge... :oops: :lol:

I have a vague (and probably incorrect) recollection of a disc golf meeting where Kevin (the owner and my boss) picks up one of the discs on the table, brings it slowly to his nose, sniffs deeply and says, "I love the smell of rubber in the morning." Hearty laughing ensued.

Steven Dodge said:
Mad Scientist said:
peppermack said:
...I love the smell of a new vibram disc, what ever it is it is great!

Me too! I feel weird for constantly sniffing my Ridge... :oops: :lol:

I have a vague (and probably incorrect) recollection of a disc golf meeting where Kevin (the owner and my boss) picks up one of the discs on the table, brings it slowly to his nose, sniffs deeply and says, "I love the smell of rubber in the morning." Hearty laughing ensued.

:lol: Nice :lol:

I have to say it is the first thing I do when I get a new vibram disc, especially a brand new one. a long deep inhale to take in the vibram goodness!

peppermack said:
I have to say it is the first thing I do when I get a new vibram disc, especially a brand new one. a long deep inhale to take in the vibram goodness!

I prefer to see how tight a tube I can roll my new Vibram disc up into. Then see how many times I can fold in half onto itself (record = 4). Not much luck there with the Ascents; I'll just have to throw 'em this afternoon & see how the heavier versions (I got 168g & 174g in my tester pack to accompany the 161g specimens I procured at the VO) fly.

Steven Dodge said:
Tim Red Beard said:
.. a word of warning [on the X-Link Softs] don't leave them outside in the elements. I have one that turned from grippy to super slick and brittle, I have passed this along to Steve and the disc which he will pass along to R&D and Quality to see what the deal is. I left mine in my practice basket that's why it got the way it did.

You are correct here Tim. These discs are almost pure rubber and they will break down in the sun. Proper care for these discs would be to not leave them outside in direct sunlight. With proper care, they are the most durable and grippy disc material ever created. I've not yet been able to scuff one, but one wrong day or two in direct sunlight and they will go brittle on you.
I have used this on my rubber vomit VPs, X-Link Soft Eco Summits, & proto X-Link Soft Ridges (the oldest of which are now about 3 years old) & have not the slightest hint of crazing or other deterioration.
http://www.amazon.com/LaCrosse-Rubber-Conditioner-Spray-Bottle/dp/B0031TU5FC

That is awesome that the Ascent is already approved. I like.

This X-Link soft (aka Vomit) is awesome. I threw it all over Blue Mt. this past weekend on some tough/sloped greens and did not have 1 rollaway. Feldberg even commented how he loved my X-Link Soft Ridge and wished that he had a disc like that.

Latest posts