• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Vibram Discs (don't get caught without your rubber)

dgdave said:
Jeronimo said:
The Ascent is the Ridge of fairway drivers.

This is a fairly good assessment

After another round with them, I'd actually say the Ascent has more HSS in the wind and when you nut it than the Ridge. That said, it gets to flat pretty easily.

Jeronimo said:
walker said:
Jeronimo said:
so far I think it's more like the VP of fairway drivers.
Neg, No way. The VP in the realm of putters is ooooooooooooooverstable.
Yeah, the VP is more like the XXX of putters (though Zone pretty much embodies that sentiment).

dgdave said:
dgdave said:
Jeronimo said:

This is a fairly good assessment

After another round with them, I'd actually say the Ascent has more HSS in the wind and when you nut it than the Ridge. That said, it gets to flat pretty easily.

Yeah but at this point we're really just splittin hairs :wink:

A stiffer rubber would be great. Also a more overstable version would be great. Mmmmm...vibram Xtreme

Had an interesting experience with the Ascent... brought it out to league night yesterday to show it off. One guy threw it into a thorn tree. I now have several thorn tips stuck into the disc like a sliver in skin. One large thorn (about 2 inches) pierced right through the vibram logo and out the other side of the disc.

After removing as much as I could the disc seemed to fly unaffected. However, this would obviously happen to rubber and not to plastic, and it might raise a few concerned eyebrows.

for the record I have some very flexible protos, I assume they must be x-link regular.

walker said:
After removing as much as I could the disc seemed to fly unaffected. However, this would obviously happen to rubber and not to plastic, and it might raise a few concerned eyebrows.

I've seen DX, X, and 1 Champ disc with thorns embedded and holes created by thorns.

mobster said:
I've seen DX, X, and 1 Champ disc with thorns embedded and holes created by thorns.

hmm, well i learned something new then. maybe thats normal i guess, but it seemed to happen way to easily. the kid tossed it at like 40% power.

For the last couple months I've had my firm Ridge...she flew like a laser beam. I recently hit tree close to the tee at full throttle. I can officially say I broke her in. She now finishes her flight with slight understability.

Guess its off to purchase another one.

Has anyone done this to a firm V.P. And see the disc keep its overstableness? Or will any hard impact to the firm rubber throw off its initial flight characteristics??

I thought it was near impossible to break these in.

It is a rubber disc, of course thorns will penetrate it. I've had KC Rocs take a thorn all the way through the rim. Well, not thorn, but honey locust spikes.

ive had a champ disc get impaled with a tiny twig all the way through.............also i got in 2 gorgeous Ascents today :mrgreen: :mrgreen: they feel great, cant wait to give em a toss

Marauder said:
For the last couple months I've had my firm Ridge...she flew like a laser beam. I recently hit tree close to the tee at full throttle. I can officially say I broke her in. She now finishes her flight with slight understability.

Has anyone done this to a firm V.P. And see the disc keep its overstableness? Or will any hard impact to the firm rubber throw off its initial flight characteristics??

I hit metal at 245' with a regular X Link VP and it raised about a two and a half inch wide area by about twentieth of an inch. I don't know how that changed the flight because I managed to twist it almost back into original shape. One probably wouldn't know that it isn't quite the original shape if I didn't point it out after searching for it. After almost making it like new it flies the same as new.

yeah.. i'll have to work her back into shape and see how she flies. Maybe my next "tree off the tee" test will be with a firm V.P. to see how she handles it. Thanks man.

Marauder said:

I'd like to hear what happens after trying a couple things. First, lay it on a table face down for a night or two. It should work its way back to shape. If that does not work (quickly enough), you can try microwaving the disc for a minute or so on high heat. Give it a half hour or so to cool down and then see if it has gone back to shape. Let me know what happens and how it flies afterwards.

Steven Dodge said:
First, lay it on a table face down for a night or two. It should work its way back to shape.
This usually works for me. If I've got an esp. bad one I'll leave it flat in my warm car for a day.

Cool ! Thanks guys. It probably doesn't help that I keep my bag in the trunk of my car either. I'll try that out and let you know.

Took the sweet disc out for NOTeam league night.
Let a few throw it in warm up and everyone wants five or three of them.

First, I am a tired old man with limited power backhand. I use a 168gm Rogue for max distance.
I will throw an Avenger SS on the straight holes. Overstable discs do not work too well with my hyzer release.
Forehand, I can get a little more use of the overstable discs, Talon and preditor only get flicked from bag.

The feel of the disc is pleasing. Quite flexible and nice grip. With my sad backhand, the flight was predictable. Hit the basket on one drive, picked up a few birdies and scrambled out of trouble nicely.
With my forehand, the disc can be worked. I threw it hard a few times on a slight anny line and it flew great, came back predictably.
That sucker will not skip, possibly a little bounce, that is it.

I let one of our young guns hurl it and he thought it flew like a more stable t-bird.

more to come
steve timm

edited to remove MB distance BS

A buddy gave me an Ascent to test. For me, it flew like a shorter QPLS. Maybe just a touch more stable. It was around 25' shorter.

Latest posts