• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Vibram Discs (don't get caught without your rubber)

scored myself a ascent! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320587819225&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123

cfair said:
My two ascents. 174s, not sure if they're xlink or firms. I like that they look like Mars

This is a side by side comparison of discs. The teebird is blurry but I'll be sure to be more thorough from now on. Hope you enjoy!

I was like, they are similar to a cyclone, nothing like a Leopard, kind of like a TL, and very much like the Teebizzle. I'll have to pick one up, just for testing, now.

walker said:
looks like all the online retailers have some softs in new colors. It's still difficult to tell what you get though, with descriptions like 'dark, bright, multi-color, light' etc.

Are there any websites that show the exact picture of every disc they sell? And why doesn't marshall street carry vibram?

Hoey is not allowed to even READ a vibram thread at work.
Following surgical removal of nose; "Take that you ungrateful face!"

NPR did a nice piece about the Vibram Open yesterday:

http://www.onlyagame.org/2010/09/saturday-september-11-2010/#7

Scroll down to Pro Disc Golf and enjoy.

What's the preference of the Vibram throwers out there, Firm or Regular? Excluding soft which is just ridiculous.

You don't think that Firm defeats the purpose of using rubber as the material in the first place? What makes it so durable is it's ability to absorb impact, no? I tend to agree with you that the Firm feels best but I was thinking about this today. The regular X-link isn't all that far off in firmness and I would bet it's significantly more durable.

Jeronimo said:
You don't think that Firm defeats the purpose of using rubber as the material in the first place? What makes it so durable is it's ability to absorb impact, no? I tend to agree with you that the Firm feels best but I was thinking about this today. The regular X-link isn't all that far off in firmness and I would bet it's significantly more durable.

I myself have a hard time telling the difference between firm and xlink but it is certainly there. XLink is by far more durable but even then the Firm is way more durable a material than any of the other companies "firm" materials (firm runs of Pro D, KC Pro Aviars, and such). I myself am going to try out a Firm Ridge purely for putting and use 2 xlinks for driving and approach. The reason for putting with the Firm's is the idea that most top pros and many other pros seem to gravitate towards stiffer putters. The other reason to use the firm for putting over the xlink is that the xlink can turn into a tire on a roll away. I've had more than a few bummers putting just to watch my Ridge roll 40 ft away... The Firms help this, and those who like the a floppy putter it doesn't get much floppier than Vibrams Softs. Which are great when you need a disc to flop on the ground and not roll.

I really don't care about the durability with these because it lasts a long damn time. I'd also take a firmer rubber that doesn't last as long if I feel more comfortable and confident with than a softer rubber that I don't feel 100% about.

My X-Link VP gets very floppy (compared to my Firm Ridge) in hot weather. The difference is massive.

My X-link regular Ridge is also very soft. Softer then any of the protos i've had. I hope the softs are even sorter then soft..... 'how much more soft could this be? the answer is none. none more soft'.

still looking for some bright colors before I pull the trigger though. I have no problem putting with my black and dark green putters put I'm tired of looking for them off the tee.

I like the regulars, but I must say that the regulars from the first run of VPs is the best stuff out there. The regular in the atomic orange 1st runs is the most money rubber of the vibram stuff. There is a good bit of variation among even the regular x-link as far as firmness. I have a regular that is very floppy and it is brand new. It is in between a soft and a regular. I am not sure why but the flight plate is very floppy compared to all the others that I have ever held, which as you all know is hundreds (since I had 56 VP at one time). So there is not as much variation as gateway stuff, but there is some variation out there even among the same firmness levels.

What flight differences are you guys seeing between the firm and soft Ascents?

PS I lost my Firm Ascent today