• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Vibram Discs (don't get caught without your rubber)

I think I could make a case that I would be a valuable tester. I have experience with a lot of different discs and am always thinking critically about my performance and my equipment. I am reliable and able to express myself articulately. Also, I could be a good source of promotion for Vibram Disc Golf. Being one of the only experienced players at my University, which just installed a nice 18 hole course in 2009, I have some influence on the new players that are starting to play regularly. I have even helped out with the disc sports class that is offered every fall.

Anyway, enough for the self-promotion. :p But if there is room to add me as a tester I'd love to be involved.

-Ryan

Not mine

184283_1879380871245_1442971349_2124601_6269687_n.jpg

peppermack said:
is he on these boards, and should I know who that is?

He's on the PDGA board and facebook. I figured you'd k ow him because he's got/had one nice Vibram shite

ryankilgore said:
So I've had this Ridge (black... first run i guess) since last summer. I just recently started toying seriously with the idea of replacing my wizards with ridges because I like the flight, the feel in the hand, and the improved durability. However, (contrary to the previous poster) I am really not liking the surface texture. It's fairly smooth, and i notice that if my hand has even the slightest hint of moisture, the surface feels slick and my hand will slip.

So my questions are three:
1. Are other people having this problem or is it just me?
2. Would I like one of the other runs better, like a swirled color?
3. Should I just hold off in considering a switch until the fusions are released?
(Ok, one more question: how do I get on the list to be a tester?)

-Ryan

Hi Ryan, you could try dirtying it up or giving it a good soapy (or citrusy) wash, but bearing in mind that you've been using it for several months, I would have thought any residual feeling from the manufacturing would have already worn off. Just so I know, are your hands particularly oily or dry?

Switching to a different run would probably not have any impact, although if you have a store near you, you could go give them a feel.

The fusions, if we figure out how to make them, will probably be released in the Fall.

We are currently full up on testers.

I hope we can find a solution to the feel with you. I am glad you are liking the flight and consistnecy (aka durability) of the discs. I had someone tell me last weekend that they before they switched putters they would go through at least three putters each year. They were so happy to be on their second season with the same putter! It was awesome to listen to.

Steven Dodge said:
Hi Ryan, you could try dirtying it up or giving it a good soapy (or citrusy) wash, but bearing in mind that you've been using it for several months, I would have thought any residual feeling from the manufacturing would have already worn off. Just so I know, are your hands particularly oily or dry?

Switching to a different run would probably not have any impact, although if you have a store near you, you could go give them a feel.

The fusions, if we figure out how to make them, will probably be released in the Fall.

We are currently full up on testers.

I hope we can find a solution to the feel with you. I am glad you are liking the flight and consistnecy (aka durability) of the discs. I had someone tell me last weekend that they before they switched putters they would go through at least three putters each year. They were so happy to be on their second season with the same putter! It was awesome to listen to.

Thanks for the reply, Steve. I tried washing it with some Goo Gone spray gel, and that seems to have helped a little bit. Some of my Wizards are still tackier in the hand, though. I don't think my hands are unusually oily or dry, though the winter season makes them drier than normal. I've noticed that part of the underside of the disc is more smooth/reflective and part is more textured/matted (though those terms don't seem entirely adequate). The more textured part is where it feels slicker. My second and third fingers are extended under the disc when I putt, and I use them to help lift the disc when I snap my wrist and release the disc. The slipping of those fingers seems like a minor thing, but it is distracting, and that makes me lose confidence.

I guess I'll just see how things go as spring rolls around. I don't have any retailers that carry Vibram discs nearby, but I've got a friend who's started putting with summits, so I'll test those out next time I see him. I think he has one in the X-link Soft. I didn't care for the floppiness of it, but I'll see if it seems noticeably more tacky/grippy. If so, maybe I'll just wait for the fusions. Anyway, for what it's worth, the Ascent I have seems very grippy (but I haven't tried putting with it).

Thanks again,
Ryan

Jesse B 707 said:
new molds on the way.........cant seem to find the english version :?
http://www.discgolfsweden.se/
Discgolfsweden.se said:
11-02-25 - Vibram trio
Looks like Vibram is getting ready for spring, 3 new models are on the way, a putter called Cairn, the midrange Ibex and the long range driver Trek. Ibex and Trek was approved by the PDGA yesterday. We have little or no info about the discs except the measurements by PDGA, first the Ibex:
Outside diameter: 21.5 cm (max weight 178.5 grams)
Inside rim diameter: 18.9 cm
Height: 2.4 cm
Rim depth: 1.3 cm
Rim thickness: 1.3 cm
Flexibility rating: 7.14 kg
Rim configuration rating: 46.25

And the driver Trek:
Outside diameter: 21.0 cm (max weight 174.3 grams)
Inside rim diameter: 17.2 cm
Height: 1.9 cm
Rim depth: 1.1 cm
Rim thickness: 1.9 cm
Flexibility rating: 6.24 kg
Rim configuration rating: 30.75

Cairn is a small compact 21 cm putter, probably over stable, it will be approved soon.

You can find more info about Vibram here.
There's a damn American flag in the upper right corner...

Wish I'd seen that flag earlier, it would have saved me from translate.google.com. :oops:

The Trek is the complement (slightly more understable) to the Ascent. It should go to field testing in late April.

The Ibex is our mid-range. It's not quite ready for prime time, but I am very excited about our first cut.

The Cairn is a new putter and is based on tweaks that were requested by some of the players/advisers on our team. No time frame for field testing and/or release date yet.