• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Vortex Basket by Arroyo Disc Sports

Yehosha

Eagle Member
Anyone else had a chance to putt on one of these? At the tournament I was assistant TD this weekend we were lucky enough to have the first two production models of the basket donated to us; one went to 1st place in MA1, and the other as grand prize in a raffle. Here's the lucky winner:

100_1796.jpg

Got to use this basket quite a bit and it is SICK! Not only did it catch EVERY putt we threw at it, it caught every type of throw we threw at it. SInce it was there we decided to test this thing out and see if it could do what the guys at Arroyo claimed it could do. It started out with normal putts, followed by hard putts, then putting as hard as we could throw it, then full force drives, and even some tomahawks into the basket. This thing caught them all. I was shocked and VERY impressed. They totally eliminated spit throughs that hit dead center and still find a way out the other side, and those annoying bounce back out off the center pole moments. If you hit it on the outer left or right side, it's just like any other basket, but the days of a putt that hits dead center and still missies are over with this basket. I'm sure Feldberg will be pleased.

That thing looks awesome, looks like it's got some crossing chains in the middle. You got any more pics?

No other pics unfortunately, but a guy at the tourney made a video and did a small interview with one of the creators.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2hZBN9ThmY

I've putted on one of these baskets, at 2011 Worlds. Here is a video I took of the chain assembly on the beach in Santa Cruz:

http://youtu.be/CiW9ZrO81Gs

It is about the best basket I've ever experienced, a major improvement in design. The inner wall of chains have a diamond-weave, and so the inner chains push back much harder on the disc than would chains just dangling all by their lonesome. The idea is that the disc encounters more and more resistance as it goes into the relatively limp outer chains and then impacts the relatively rigid inner wall. This results in very reliable deceleration and catches, and no possibility for spit through the inner chain assembly. There is also a great deal of satisfaction putting this basket, the inner chain assembly pulses and the chains are musical because they're all coupled together. I think this basket will also reduce wear on putters, since they will not impact the center post.

This basket is PDGA approved, and I also hear that they're working with many clubs to get their baskets in the ground at a discount rate. You would be supporting a small and innovative business who is introducing very competitive innovations into the disc golf market which will ultimately improve our sport.

No way! With the chains freezing solid here i need to putt just above the bucket edge and i've had countless cases of the disc being almost inside the bucket and at the last moment the rim hits the Headrick and spins the disc out. No thanks on the nubs.

turso said:
Nubs = plenty of puts that would've gone in instead of bouncing back out.

If you're putting low enough that nubs would stop your disc, you need to putt better.

It's over the rim, it's high enough. Especially with frozen chains it's about the best place to putt. =)

I was actually on the list to buy one of these with the DGCR bulk order, wtf ever happend to that deal I have no idea... If I recall correctly, they're also made of more aluminum than normal baskets of similar caliber so they should be quite a bit more portable for backyard endeavors.

I was working on that order with Arroyo. They basically stopped responding to my emails and never gave me a fixed price for our order. I'll contact them again and see where it goes.

I think these guys are having a hard time getting their operation up and running to fill orders. I hope they can fight through all the hassles and get it done. We really need innovative new companies like Arroyo.

ATL Scott said:
I agree JH. Their product seems awesome. Everything else about them seems lacking thus far.

Agreed, though I'm sympathetic. I think these guys are starting out with very little infrastructure, and figuring it out as they go. They're probably working on a shoestring budget, don't have money to pay help, and just need to power themselves out of the hole they're in and they'll soon be up and running. Once they ship a few hundred baskets, they should be able to re-configure their operation to become more efficient and produce more baskets with less effort, and fill orders in a timely manner.

That kind of strategy requires a lot of trust and patience from the clientele, which might be tough to ask for. I do wish they break through majorly and all the baskets in the world will be replaced with vortices.

Latest posts