• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Warming up/Stretching before disc golf

I have to stretch before a round. If I don't I feel it the next day.

Getting old sucks.

Some stretching and/or tossing. If I can't toss then throw some short shots. If there's a field around and I have time I found out getting 5-10 long throws off is a pretty good warm up also.

One thing I have done at Mt Airy for the long throws is go to 18's tee, throw a few from there, walk over to one and start the round.

This year i got so confident with putting that I hardly need any putting warmup at all.

Driving though... Yes I need lots of warmup. If I dont warm up my drives go about 75% of the normal distance and they have so little power behind them that not even my most understable discs flip over.

I have had a lot more soreness in my lower back after changing my drive to try and move around the disc. I don't know if this is indictive of improper form, I am throwing further more consistently, but I do know that stretching would probably help. It doesn't help that I played yesterday for the first time in about two weeks. I have never been good about stretching though.

"Does a lion stretch before it takes down a gazelle?"

Probably. Here's one stretching his hamstrings.

For me, stretching has become more important with every passing year. I used to be able to go full speed without stretching at all, but things changed when I turned 30. Now that I'm 36, failing to stretch and warm up causes pain during and after a round of anything.

With any activity I participate in, I notice the effects of not stretching in the days after. If I don't stretch I am sore for days. If I do stretch I am not as sore.

Not stretching is a guarantee that I will play poorly. It will take me 3 holes to get loose enough to throw well and by the 6th my back starts tightening up. If I can stretch and throw before a round, all the better. But stretching for sure. My home course is only about 5 minutes from my house, so if I am playing there I'll stretch at home and then throw 8-10 at the baskets in my yard.

EDIT: I actually discussed with Steve Dodge at Maple Hill last week the idea that one thing DG is lacking at most courses is the disc version of a driving range. I always played ball golf better if I hit a small bucket of balls and spent 10 minutes on the putting green before teeing off. He told me he's working on getting some used batting cages after players at the VO asked for a place to warm up. I think this would be a great addition to DG courses.

Last edited:
Not stretching is a guarantee that I will play poorly. It will take me 3 holes to get loose enough to throw well and by the 6th my back starts tightening up. If I can stretch and throw before a round, all the better. But stretching for sure. My home course is only about 5 minutes from my house, so if I am playing there I'll stretch at home and then throw 8-10 at the baskets in my yard.

EDIT: I actually discussed with Steve Dodge at Maple Hill last week the idea that one thing DG is lacking at most courses is the disc version of a driving range. I always played ball golf better if I hit a small bucket of balls and spent 10 minutes on the putting green before teeing off. He told me he's working on getting some used batting cages after players at the VO asked for a place to warm up. I think this would be a great addition to DG courses.

Rollin' Ridge has a netted driving range. First like it I've seen...and it's awesome. Getting in 15-20 power throws before actually playing the round is gold.

Rollin' Ridge has a netted driving range. First like it I've seen...and it's awesome. Getting in 15-20 power throws before actually playing the round is gold.

That's what I'm talkin' about! I would love to see this become more common. For most of us I'd argue it will lower scores and reduce injuries.

That's what I'm talkin' about! I would love to see this become more common. For most of us I'd argue it will lower scores and reduce injuries.

I would think that if more people saw it, it would become the next wave of awesomeness to go through private courses. I'd put one in my backyard is my wife didn't think it was insane.

I recently started stretching for about 10-15 min b4 each round, since I have seen my distance increase by about 40ft on average over the last few months. My legs also stay fresher throughout the round, helping me maintain said distance at the end of the round. I never realized how much stretching out b4 a round could help keep me that fresh thru a round. I'm throwing longer and scoring lower.

Theraband flexbar for my elbows, then a big exercise band to warm up the shoulders. Follow that up with a few leg stretches and I'm good to go.

I've seen a driving net next to the putting area at Shady Oaks in Sacramento. Great idea.
I like to play some catch with an Ultimate, then putt and throw upshots before I start a morning round. At my age....well, you know the rest...!!

"...growing scientific consensus that pre-excercise stretching is generally unnecessary and likely counterproductive. "

http://healthland.time.com/2013/04/08/why-stretching-may-not-help-before-exercise/

It's been difficult for me to get over my habits of static stretching learned in school and in youth sports. But, the growing consensus does seem to be that it hurts power, and may not reduce injury.

From experience, a warmup is very important for me before disc golf. My usual routine is fairly minimal, but important to me. A little something to get the blood flowing (maybe just 30 jumping jacks). A little bit of dynamic stretching to get the muscles loosened. I don't have a good repertoire of dynamic stretches to match the static ones I learned as a kid. But, I usually do a few trunk rotations, a few dynamic toe touches, maybe some arm circles. At least a few throws. (Usually somewhere between 3 and 20.) Including retrieving those discs, of course. Occasionally a few putts, sometimes on the first or second basket.

If it's a tournament I'll play as many holes as I can manage (usually I'm playing a new course, and driving in the morning of the tournament), sometimes walking a few that I don't have time to play.

For tournaments, I begin to think that it would also be helpful (mentally? physically?) to warm back up after lunch. I usually toss in at least a few putts, but I think something more might be beneficial.

It's been difficult for me to get over my habits of static stretching learned in school and in youth sports. But, the growing consensus does seem to be that it hurts power, and may not reduce injury.

Subbing as a "7 and under" basketball coach recently, I was surprised to see that even kids this young hand already learned _static_ stretching for warm-ups.

What I've been reading in the last years suggests that static stretching _might_ be a good idea as part of a _cool_ down.

Latest posts