• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Weed control

Personally, I'd consider glyphosate nicer than 2,4-d, especially for the applicator when taking required PPE into consideration (glyphosate doesn't even require gloves...).

I'd go glyphosate and spot spray just the nettles with a back pack, this would limit non-target impacts over going through with a broadcast tank system. With 2,4-d you will likely have to tank mix with other actives as nettles are on the low end of the control spectrum. Plus, glyphosate is cheaper & easier to get a hold of.

Imazapyr would also be a great choice for spot spraying - it will kill them dead & be longer lasting. More expensive & would likely need to be licensed to use it though (aquatic areas).

If you do go the herbicide route it may be best to have the county do it as some portions/formulations/etc. may require a license or use of aquatic approved formulations which would definitely need a license (nettles typically grow in wetter areas - regulations on wetland vs true aquatic use & permit requirements vary by state, just generalizing here).

There were a few entrepreneurs here in Iowa that started their own weed control company.....using goats. It's pretty clever really, what they do is offer to rent out the goats to you on a set time frame. The most amazing part about the goats is that they literally go for the nasty weeds first, all the stinging nettles, poison ivy/oak/sumac, invasive kudzu...etc. The goats devour that crap and in turn offer nice fertilizer pellets back into the area being treated, which they claim should promote growth of the non-invasive grasses and natural prairie flowers in the environment.

Might be worth looking into locally, maybe a local farm/farmer would be willing to work with you in offering some awesome goat services, plus you might get a nice inside hook up on some sweet goat cheese.

There were a few entrepreneurs here in Iowa that started their own weed control company.....using goats. It's pretty clever really, what they do is offer to rent out the goats to you on a set time frame. The most amazing part about the goats is that they literally go for the nasty weeds first, all the stinging nettles, poison ivy/oak/sumac, invasive kudzu...etc. The goats devour that crap and in turn offer nice fertilizer pellets back into the area being treated, which they claim should promote growth of the non-invasive grasses and natural prairie flowers in the environment.

Might be worth looking into locally, maybe a local farm/farmer would be willing to work with you in offering some awesome goat services, plus you might get a nice inside hook up on some sweet goat cheese.

No, goats do not go for the nasty stuff first, necessarily. They eat everything and they start with the tender stuff including grass and flowers, native or not. Then after that stuff is gone they eat the prickly stuff and the woody vegetation. It works great if you have them contained in an area and you want everything gone, but it's a myth that they only eat weeds or eat them first.

Looks like 2-4-D is my answer. I have no issue spraying several times a year.

2-4D isn't the only broadleaf selective herbicide out there to consider. And it's kind of a nasty one, although easy to get and relatively cheap. Any glyphosate product will kill most plants it is applied to, where a broadleaf herbicide won't kill grass. Burning is very complicated and not really an option for most situations. Don't run a cultivator through your weed patch unless you want more weeds, all you are doing is giving them more open ground to sprout and take over. You want less disturbance and more grass.

You need to talk to the agency that owns the property before you think about applying herbicides. They probably have some restrictions, posting requirements and legal considerations.

If you get the go ahead, use the proper PPE and make sure you are following the label and the law. Don't apply when the plants are stressed by drought or heat or it's going to rain. Like others have said, careful, well timed and selective application of herbicide can be very effective and save time and money. Doing it wrong or not carefully can cause a huge PR nightmare.

I wish more players would control their weed on the course, instead of letting their weed control them.
That said, moar players seem to have trouble with beer control. :\

It only kills what you spray it on. It's not magic.

Yes of course, as they say in geometry, thats the given!

I have used round up and do not like it at all, the only time I would consider it would be to spray weeds growing in cracks in a parking lot, driveway, etc. -- never in an environment like the op is talking about. It will do more harm than good.

Even without environmental concerns, I'm not that impressed with glysophate (roundup). In my experience it doesn't kill woody plants, at least not at the concentrations we've been using, and for a lot of plants, including some vigorous grasses, it doesn't kill them as much as knock them back for a while.

I hate to have to go to the parks department to ask for help with this one but I might have to. Sounds like there are quite a few environmental issues to consider that they need to be involved with.

I hate to have to go to the parks department to ask for help with this one but I might have to. Sounds like there are quite a few environmental issues to consider that they need to be involved with.

Just tell them what you plan to do and see what they say. I doubt you will have any problems with them, they may just ask you and anyone else helping to sign a waiver.

Yes, before you start spraying herbicide in a park, you should talk to the parks department. yep.