• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Whaa Whaa Worlds

Status
Not open for further replies.
rough does vary from region to region and absolutely changes how a course plays

the hollies of spotsylvania are impenetrateable and difficult to stand in..thus your stance is compromised and the thickness creates a wall

Charlotte has some very thick underbrush combined with low cedar branches that make it impossible to recover

Ive heard the Palmettos of Florida can be quite a challenge

Generally the further north you go the more forgiving the underbrush is.....generally

Bravethrower
You guys are awesome. Great work on the course. So much going
on that week. I spoke with you personally at the course and told you
how much I loved what you all had done to that track. Keep up the good
work. I was just wondering. It was not my group but I heard about it. They
also gave the Alaska guy a dress code violation warning for having his shirt
totally unbuttoned all the way. Thought that was pretty funny myself. Guy had to be roasting
coming all the way from Alaska. Welcome to the south my friend.

Bravethrower
You guys are awesome. Great work on the course. So much going
on that week. I spoke with you personally at the course and told you
how much I loved what you all had done to that track. Keep up the good
work. I was just wondering. It was not my group but I heard about it. They
also gave the Alaska guy a dress code violation warning for having his shirt
totally unbuttoned all the way. Thought that was pretty funny myself. Guy had to be roasting
coming all the way from Alaska. Welcome to the south my friend.

haha yea he tried to say since it was collared it was ok for him to have it wide open with his gut out. MTL told him otherwise :thmbup:

It was great seein you guys out there. although I dont remember specifiaclly who you were Im glad you enjoyed the course. If you ever make it to charlotte again maybe we'll get a round in. And if its awhile from now there will be a longer/different version of Bradford muhahaha

Last edited:
Oh the CHIGGERS! I'm still scratching . . .

Idk if im immune or have steel skin or the fact that Im a souless ginger keeps them at bay but I have never gotten a chigger even if everyone im with does. If feel fortunate :thmbup:

Actually that couldn't be farther from the truth.....Dave was pretty much spot-on

What I was trying to reference was the difference I noticed in terrain between woodsy courses around here and others in that part of the country. There is plenty of trees just less brush in general on the east coast.

If anything thorns take away from a design just stating the differences as I have seen them.

So why are TX woods superior to NC woods? More brush?

I saw Bradford for the first time last Thursday night. I was expecting a tightly wooded course like the one Brian Skinner got his 1117 round on (I am too lazy to look up what it was). Bradford is NOT tightly wooded (only 2-3 corridor holes). While impressed at the consistency to card 17 birdies, I am surprised it is even possible to get such a high rating.

BTW, I birdied the first 3 holes (and then started loosing ground to MJ), but I did birdie #12 which he missed even after a pretty lame drive. :D. I was playing with just 4 discs and it was soaking wet.

Did you play from the longs? Is the course still in the tourney layout, there were several basket locations moved. And MJ went OB when he got the par.

So why are TX woods superior to NC woods? More brush?

I never said the woods in TX were better just that they were different. If I had to choose which I would rather play in it would probably be NC.

To tell you the truth I don't even remember why I originally brought it up.

Pushed my Worlds in Miami back to 2002, leaving me running all the coordination and all the prep from out of state as well as 9/11 happening which kept people from wanting to travel which neither would have happened before the Worlds if it was held in 2001 as awarded in 1998.

I ran an A-Tier and Worlds 10 months apart while living out of state and not even one nomination for TD of the year. :D

Anyways it was the first (and only) Worlds in FL, so I still have that.

One day when I'm never going to be nominated for the Hall of Fame, I'll have lots of historical stuff that has been accomplished to go over (including straightening out 50% of Hosfeld's HOF speech for Tim Willis) - but only a select few will ever know about it - because I have the sportmanship of a 5 year old who can't hit the ball off the tee in the "everyone wins" tee ball league.:doh:

Sorry to screw your life up so much, KJ. Good to see you and meet your lovely daughter (how'd that happen?) down in Charlotte. So when is anyone ever going to rival the 2000 P.A.W. payout? Lots of bigger tourneys over the years, and no one's come close to the 2000 payout in terms of added cash...

Joe as you know and as I've told you personally, I blame no one in MI for 2000 - The PDGA let it happen and it was my decision to not raise Lorelei in Miami when she was starting school which is why we were moving to AZ in 2001 AFTER the Miami Worlds (were supposed to be) - I wasn't going to let the decision the PDGA made change my life plans for my daughter, and no one could have predicted 9/11 - so that's the way things go.

I have ALWAYS considered you a friend and have enjoyed our chats and conversations when we see each other. No hatred for you on my end...just stating the fact that because I was a nice guy and didn't have the players pony up the extra hotel charges after the orignal host hotel voided the contract because thier 15 year bathing suit convention had a change in plans after they CANCELLED their convention - making it the only AM worlds to lose money - cost me over 10 grand personally and almost my marriage to be a nice guy to the players - who probably wouldn't have complained that much over paying another 10 per day to stay at the "new" Host Hotel.

This explains my love/hate relationship with the sport.

Take care,
Keith

please... like NY has anything on NC.

The fairways in Nevins/Bradford look like super highways compared to my "fairways" at my local course. I'm not talking as a whole NY Woods are better, but Basil will kick your butt unless your control is tight. I'de be happy to show you how to hit the lines @ Basil New :D

I never said the woods in TX were better just that they were different. If I had to choose which I would rather play in it would probably be NC.

To tell you the truth I don't even remember why I originally brought it up.

Oh, alright. Maybe I misread you. Hmm, well then.

*kicks rocks*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stetz1010
Opti - how does Nevin or any of the other 100% wooded courses compare to Basil-Marella here in Rochester?

Charlotte courses are like golf courses compared to Basil. That has to be one of the tightest Worlds course played. When a 5000' course has an SSA of around 51. Nevin specifically, on average has fairways 3x-4x wider than basil (but on a 9000' course). Every course in CHarlotte averages better than 2x wider fairways, even our tightest.

Idk much about 1978, but something tells me he knows what he's talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts