• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] What are the best throwing putters of all time?

What is the best throwing putter of all time?

• Wizard

Votes: 37 21.0%
  • Aviar

Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Big Bead Aviar

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • Luna

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Envy

Votes: 53 30.1%
  • Proxy

Votes: 14 8.0%
  • Jokeri

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • Judge

Votes: 13 7.4%
  • Crown

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Rhyno

Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Scale

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Pure

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • Other(write in the comments)

Votes: 32 18.2%

• Total voters
How many championships has PMB won using/bagging discmania S P2 ? Eagle and Simon good examples of P2 being one of the great driving putters.

Is it's too much of an Aviar variant to be considered? Aren't 98% of all putters too much of an aviar variant?

I understand that tho they putt with P2s, Simon and Eagle both actually use the P3x for their driving putters. And yes, it is also an aviar variant -- pretty sure it's a beaded Aviar X3.

I understand that tho they putt with P2s, Simon and Eagle both actually use the P3x for their driving putters. And yes, it is also an aviar variant -- pretty sure it's a beaded Aviar X3.

I think Eagle used to but moved on to different things with the new evolution line. I think Simon still throws P2's. He still has the Sky God as one of his signature discs.

Is this a repeat of Roc/Buzzz? Rocs work well for people throwing old-school high lines and the Buzzz works better for people who want to throw their mid like a driver i.e. thrown hard on a lower line. The molds lend themselves to particular styles.

Is the Envy just the putt/approach version of the Buzzz where the Aviar and Wizard are old-school putter molds that you throw like...well, a putter? :|

*Full disclosure: I've never even seen and Envy, much less thrown one. I'm just asking a question.

This is pretty much spot on...the Envy is the Buzzz to the Wizard's Roc.

Neither of them bag a P3X. Eagle did bag one for a bit, but that was years ago. Simon has never bagged a P3X. Simon throws a P2 and P1x. Eagle used to throw P2s. Now he bags the Tactic and Link.

Neither of them bag a P3X. Eagle did bag one for a bit, but that was years ago. Simon has never bagged a P3X. Simon throws a P2 and P1x. Eagle used to throw P2s. Now he bags the Tactic and Link.

I think Eagle ditched the Link and is throwing P3X's again. I could be wrong but pretty sure I saw him throwing one not long ago.

Guess when he does a 2021 in the bag we'll see.

Simon was throwing one in 2019. Or maybe he just borrowed one from Eagle to throw across the lake at WACO in the last round.

dave dunnipace said something like: the P2 is the best putter we've ever designed.

i'm not a P2 fanboy but it is a excellent throwing putter on top of being a uber popular putting putter with pro win results

Last edited:
I do really like the P2. I never gave it a serious look at my workhorse putter mold simply because DX is such a horrible baseline plastic. But I've putted with them in a buddy's backyard, played catch with them to warm up before tourneys, and given them a few sample drives. Solid all-around putter mold.

As for the topic of "best throwing putter" I just don't think the P2 stands out from the crowd. Pretty similar 0/1 flight characteristic to Judges, Aviars, Maidens, etc. Probably a touch less stable than a Wizard or Crown. Crushes in a tailwind with height, but underperforms in headwinds. In other words, it ain't an Envy off the tee :)

Thanks for your anecdotal data!

Or just answering the poll question correctly.

Mine as well put a Buzzz or Destroyer on the poll. I could Putt with those.

The Envy option is a trick for noobs...
a mid or driver would have been too obvious.

Last edited:
At this point, I think for me, discussing who has the best discs is about akin to determining who has built the best family. Obviously not a perfect analogy. But, the idea of changing because someone else supposedly has a better model is not going to sit well with most guys.

These surveys show that my putter is not very popular. It is not a supermodel, but it has always been stable and I am comfortable with it, so I am going to stick with it.

At this point, I think for me, discussing who has the best discs is about akin to determining who has built the best family. Obviously not a perfect analogy. But, the idea of changing because someone else supposedly has a better model is not going to sit well with most guys.

These surveys show that my putter is not very popular. It is not a supermodel, but it has always been stable and I am comfortable with it, so I am going to stick with it.

describes my wifey. :)

Latest posts