• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What Discs have you bought Multiples of?

Discs I've purchased 5 or more of:

Ion (Disc I own most of)
Magic (No idea why, gave them all away)
Wizard (Had to get a stack when I putted with them)
Zeppelin (For a rainy day? Don't even throw them anymore)
KC Aviar (First disc ever purchased, one of the greats)

See a pattern here?

I also purchased 4 TM2 Visions, knowing they would be OOP. They're sitting in a box, begging to be thrown.

I have NO discs for cycling, but I buy backups, pink discs, trying different plastics. I have:

12 Valkyries, in various plastics.
12 or more TLs, mostly Star, some Champ.
8 or more Roc3s, some of them F2s
4 FDs, two C-line, two S-line.
10 or more Wardens
8 Panthers (6 of them Pink)(and gave away two blue ones)
8 Rivers, various plastics.
3 Teebirds, one Plus mold, two F2s.
3 Buzzzes
4 Green Hornets
5 Mako3s
4 Banshees, 3 in Champ, 1 in DX.
4 Novas, all F2s
8 Terns, two Champion, two HL Star, one Echostar, the rest Star.
4 Harps, 2 TP, 2 BTHard
6 P2s, not sure why, but I have 'em.
And 2 of several other molds...

I've actually never tried to buy an "identical" second of the same mold other than putters...I've just added ones with intentionally different PLH to get a more or less stable Teebird or Destroyer.

My question is, how can a player have truly productive field work without multiples of at least their key molds? I strongly believe most improvements come on the practice range, not on the course. Practice with mixed bag = mixed feedback = mixed results.

On an open field I don't think it matters to me. I'll throw everything from putters to drivers in a row. If you know your form and discs then you know if it was a good shot or not. I see the value of repeat discs/shots though.

I do agree that in practice rounds it is more useful to have a duplicate for second teeshots. If I miss a Teebird line on my first drive and try to throw a second shot with an FD it needs more hyzer, so it's not the exact repeat shot. But at the same time you learn what your discs do and adjust so it's still useful either way.

Just Buzzzes. I used to bag one fresh Pro D and one beat Pro D, and for a bit I had a Z in there too. They were eventually replaced with a Truth and a Warrant.

I do agree that in practice rounds it is more useful to have a duplicate for second teeshots. If I miss a Teebird line on my first drive and try to throw a second shot with an FD it needs more hyzer, so it's not the exact repeat shot. But at the same time you learn what your discs do and adjust so it's still useful either way.

But you're introducing more variables with that different mold. As compared to, say, throwing a teebird then another slightly less overstable teebird from slightly more hyzer. Then maybe your more overstable one from flat.

With a stack of teebirds, the only change is wear/stability changes.

I have multiples of everything so might be easier for me to count how many I don't have multiples for. Don't throw a ton of molds as I like the feel of certain discs. I don't mind as much if they are a little inconsistent as I can use the same mold to cover multiple shots without changing the feel in my hand. And with limited number of molds in my bag I always manage to add in some back ups to break in, work into the rotation as needed. Have a few small stacks of Valks, Leopards, Rocs and Pures to mess around with.

Tern
Destroyer
Falchion
Tracker
Theory
Wave
Verdict
Truth
Force
King
Renegade
Teebird
Thunderbird
Beast
Archon
Archangel
Wraith
PD
Inertia
Leopard
Underworld
Orion LS
Escape
Buzzz
Pure
Hunter
Wildcat
Flow
Shryke
Halo
A-SS
Tangent
Suspect

Currently:

Challenger
Prototype XT Colt
Stud
Zone
Stratus
Meteor
Buzzz
Buzzz OS
Leopard & Leopard3
FD
Eagle
Valkyrie
Insanity

But you're introducing more variables with that different mold. As compared to, say, throwing a teebird then another slightly less overstable teebird from slightly more hyzer. Then maybe your more overstable one from flat.

With a stack of teebirds, the only change is wear/stability changes.

Yeah this is the whole argument of cycles vs. molds. Keep in mind I'm not some 1000 rated pro or anything, just someone who likes to throw discs relatively consistently. I can throw a flippy Teebird or an FD. Hand feel doesn't bother me. I throw a mellow/beat Teebird for a different slot than a straight with firm fade Teebird; I see them as different discs so it makes no difference to me what the stamp is on the top. Teebirds do hold speed better than an FD, but it's not like I'm throwing a Teebird and Underworld pairing. The FD flies like a very worked in Teebird to me, using them 325-375 range, it's not some random understable fairway. As far as I'm concerned if one of those discs flips more than anticipated or holds a hyzer more than anticipated...I know why it happened. If I know the disc and how it acts I don't care if it got that way from beating in or being a freak with a high or low PLH vs. a different designed wing shape.

Just like Destoyers...my wind fighting OS Destroyer is a completely different disc than my distance Destroyer. One stamp could say Enforcer and the other say Trespass and I'd treat them the same way.

My point was I have chosen the same mold with intentionally different PLH so they fly that different...rather than trying to find the exact same disc twice as this thread initially posed. After doing so I have found that a super high PLH Teebird and low PLH Teebird, or high/low Destroyer pairing does the same thing for me as two different molds with similar-ish characteristics. They are different slots off the shelf rather than starting the same and having different wear time.

Last edited:
When I want to try out a new mold, I generally get 4-5 of them. That's just on a trial basis, where I expect that most of the time the new mold will not pan out to be something that I like.

If I become fond of a particular mold in a particular plastic, I don't buy two of it, I buy 50+. And, if I really like it, I will acquire hundreds of it.

If someone were to ask me if I have extras of the discs in my bag, my response could be, "Is the sky blue?"

Am I in danger of running out of a favorite mold? Haha. That's funny.

For anyone reading this, you don't have to be like me exactly. But, if you really like some mold, having two of them is not going to be enough to create a good cycle, and will not provide adequate replacements when some are lost. If you really love some mold, it may be worth while to make an investment in it.

My whole bag:

Wizards (switching back to Judges)
Buzzzes
FD's
Teebirds
Wraiths

The only discs I actually horde are glo wizards. I fell in love with their beefy but wizard like flight and I went through a stage where I bought every one I saw. I think I'm good for the rest of my life. I've been able to taper off and it was not fortunately a gateway drug.

For most discs I try and buy in 3s, so I can rotate them and keep that run equally seasoned. I definitely buy more, because I don't cycle.

For fieldwork sake though, Buzzzes and Undertakers (will soon) outnumber the rest. These two discs are my core. The angles and power level I throw the Buzzz translates down through all my slower rated discs, and more recently the Undertaker has become my practice disc for the upper range of power level I try to hit, most of the time.

Well since I putt with Challengers I have 6 of them (2 JB, 3 Pro-D, 1 FLX)
Then I have backups for these: Warden, Meteor, Buzzz, Mantis, Undertaker, Thrasher, & Surge
Still hold on to my three Leopards in case I return to them.
If I were truly serious, I would pick-up a stack of Comets and Mantises work on consistent straight shots.

Good golly...just browsing through this post....id kill to have a few of your disposable incomes!! Granted, i love my plastic as much as the next guy, but jeeeezzzz.....

Food is vastly overrated. ;)

And yes, my wallet sometimes uses words it didn't learn in my mama's household. But you'd be surprised how fast discs accumulate buying just two or three a month... :eek:

"So, what molds have you purchased more than 2 of, specifically trying to cycle discs or have similar replacements?"

Pretty much anything I buy will be in multiples......

Cycling
Extras

whatever...........

That was kinda fun.

Discs I currently have 5 or more of:
APX
Buzzz
Comet
Cyclone
Magnet
Stratus
X2
XL
Sabre
Apache
Element
Magic
Warlock
Wizard
Aviar
Banshee
Cheetah
Destroyer
Eagle
Firebird
Gazelle
Leopard
Pegasus
Roadrunner
Ontario Roc
Rancho Roc
Roc3
Shark
SL
Stingray
TeeBird
Valkyrie
Viper
XD
B-25 Mitchell
EXP 1
Sentinel
Scale

Discs I currently have 20+ of:
Comet
Cyclone
Wizard
Aviar
Rancho Roc

For real, the only discs that I've bagged for an extended period that I only had one of that I can recall is a Mako3 I threw for a couple of Summers and a Vibram Lace that I've carried for the last couple of years. Before I had kids, I had more money and bought discs in 3's so I never had just one.

It started with DX Sharks...
but I'm a piker compared to some of you. :eek:

I have not bought multiples of anything intending to cycle. My version of that, sort of, is buying in different plastics and weights to get somewhat different flights. Does that count?

Anyway, for backups:
Shark
Skeeter
Comet
Buzzz
Volt
Resistor
Crave
Leopard
Valkyrie
Roadrunner
Katana
Blowfly
Blowfly II
Shryke
Xtreme
Polecat
Axis
Vector
Mako/Mako3

I'm still new but already found a few molds I love to throw and cycle. Love the feeling of getting multiple lives out of one disc. Unfortunately both the Saint Pro and Flow need an older more OS version to fill the OS spot in the bag so I guess I'll have to find options eventually.

Sarek
Harp
Compass
River (replacement)
Saint pro
Flow