• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What do you say to a disc diving card mate?

I have littered and I do feel very bad about it. I should've said I don't intentionally litter.

I don't feel entitled to the disc if another person does find it. He or she certainly deserves it.

I guess I litter (again, using your logic) because I have lost a disc in a marshy area, and spent almost 4 man hours looking. with no result. :gross:

I have littered and I do feel very bad about it. I should've said I don't intentionally litter.

I don't feel entitled to the disc if another person does find it. He or she certainly deserves it.

Ok, so if it's not intentional, is it still defined as littering, and not "lost" "missplaced" "temporarily unable to be located" but not still owned by the person who threw it? If you drop your wallet, and walk away, I get to keep it, because you littered?? Even if your ID is inside??

do golfers go after their balls they hit into water hazards? i think happy gilmore did.

finding of losts discs

Heres the way i see it..... we have a couple of spots on our course that the bottom of the lake is a good 50ft now there are people who get scuba gear an spend there money on AIR to get discs, i believe that they should still call, but if the person isn't willing to give them say 5 bux for a disc they never thought they would see again then he should be able to keep it to pay for his oxygen also we have a nasty corner on our course that has broken bottles needles a cesspool of nasty stuff, and everyone who throws in there is fine with not getting it back, because im yet to meet a person who will go in it... so there is my 2 sense.

P.S. oh an by law once you leave your disc for over 24 hours it is considered abandonment and the cops will side with the diver every time doesn't mean its right or wrong there is a fine line

If I throw my wallet in a pond and walk away, I did litter. Even if my ID is inside.

Yes, but a disc is a piece of sports equipment required for use of a designed course for that intent. The pond is not there for your wallet disposal. A disc thrown into a pond, in most cases, is not intentional, therefore why do you insist that they lose ownership of said disc as well as be accused of littering??

Heres the way i see it..... we have a couple of spots on our course that the bottom of the lake is a good 50ft now there are people who get scuba gear an spend there money on AIR to get discs, i believe that they should still call, but if the person isn't willing to give them say 5 bux for a disc they never thought they would see again then he should be able to keep it to pay for his oxygen also we have a nasty corner on our course that has broken bottles needles a cesspool of nasty stuff, and everyone who throws in there is fine with not getting it back, because im yet to meet a person who will go in it... so there is my 2 sense.

P.S. oh an by law once you leave your disc for over 24 hours it is considered abandonment and the cops will side with the diver every time doesn't mean its right or wrong there is a fine line

Welcome to DGCR forums Hyzer! As far as that law goes, which I personally doubt, how can the duration of a lost disc be proved? How does the diver know when the disc was lost? I could have lost it 10 minutes before he arrived.

The only reason I am bringing these points up is because in this sport, it is common knowledge and courtesy to return marked plastic. A person who has played for, say, 16.5 years should #1 know this and #2 set a good example for new people joining the sport. In my understanding, it has become uncommon for lost plastic to be returned. There's a reason, guess what it is. I am new, and have made every effort to return every marked disc, no matter where or what it is. I have no idea how long it has been there. Do the right thing and atleast try to return lost plastic, chances are you will be given the disc anyways.

The only reason I am bringing these points up is because in this sport, it is common knowledge and courtesy to return marked plastic. A person who has played for, say, 16.5 years should #1 know this and #2 set a good example for new people joining the sport. In my understanding, it has become uncommon for lost plastic to be returned. There's a reason, guess what it is. I am new, and have made every effort to return every marked disc, no matter where or what it is. I have no idea how long it has been there. Do the right thing and atleast try to return lost plastic, chances are you will be given the disc anyways.

Not me. I just call, the rest is up to them.

If a disc has a name and number on it, you must return it. A disc in the lake is not lost (you know where it is, it's in the lake)....:popcorn:
If you found a wallet with ID and $50 dollars in it, you need to return it, right?
If you spend money in your search of the pond then the discs with no name or number is your pay.
If you have your name on it you have not abandoned it, you have misplaced it.

i dont abandon my discs in water, i go get them.

:doh:I figured the finders keepers line would get it going

My beef was with someone else saying #1 that you are a litterbug for losing a disc and #2 that if you walk away, you don't deserve to get your disc back. I believe both are incorrect thinking, and basically dishonest. I have a hard time walking around with or trading discs with someone's name on them even if I have contacted them and been given the disc. I guess I'm just old fashioned.

I personally agree with those out there who think if they lose the disc it is their fault. If you throw a shot over the water where you only have to carry 250 ft and don't make it, its your fault it did not go over. At blue ribbon pines there is a hole where you have to carry about 250-275 to clear a small pond, only issue is there is a gap and if you miss you might go in. If I miss my lines I deserve to get punished, its part of the game and if I really let my game go to hell because of one disc then I really have issues.

If that were true, it would be a very handy law. Imagine the possibilities for claiming ownership of things that were left somewhere for 24 hours. Or does the law you cite specifically mention "under water"?

Latest posts