• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What do you say to a disc diving card mate?

I personally agree with those out there who think if they lose the disc it is their fault. If you throw a shot over the water where you only have to carry 250 ft and don't make it, its your fault it did not go over. At blue ribbon pines there is a hole where you have to carry about 250-275 to clear a small pond, only issue is there is a gap and if you miss you might go in. If I miss my lines I deserve to get punished, its part of the game and if I really let my game go to hell because of one disc then I really have issues.

Some players don't have an unlimited amount of plastic or money to spend on plastic, like myself. I just started this year, and even if I had money to spend on 10 of each disc I use, it wouldn't make sense. Chances are the discs I throw this year won't be in my bag next year. Right now the few discs I use are very important to me, mainly for learning reasons. That's the same mentality of a high dollar funded/sponsored race team that doesn't care if they bang up or total a couple race cars. The low budget, new guys can have their career ended by losing a car, and not having a way to replace it. I'm a low budget new guy that needs his discs back. If you don't want yours don't ink them, simple as that, but return inked discs!

I've only ever lost two discs. One to water and the other got returned to me the next day. I haven't found tons of discs but all but two of them weren't inked. I texted the one number and included a photo of the disc but never got a response so I traded it to a friend. The other disc is another story, my buddy and I played a couple holes with two guys who were total douchebags and said they didn't want to play with us anymore because we would "slow them down." When my buddy grip locked on a drive and was walking to get his disc they were talking all kinds of smack. We watched them empty their bags on two holes on their second time around and later saw them searching in the grass then leave. We gave it a once over and found an eagle and a surge. Not ashamed to say, I didn't call them. They were a$$holes.

On a related note, My buddy finds an incredible amount of discs and more often than not the ones with numbers tell him he can keep it.

If there is a phone number on a lost disc in the woods on land than by all means call the number up and do what you can to return the disc. If someone goes diving for a disc in a pond, lake or river I'm sorry but they are the new rightful owners of the disc. Should they sell it? No. But is that disc theirs now, yeah. My brother actually goes diving for discs a few times over the summer. He's still in High School and doesn't really have the money to add to his disc collection to often so this is how he does it. He also takes some of the discs that he finds that he doesn't like throwing and actually gives them to people who are learning the sport of disc golf. If you leave a disc in the water because your to afraid of getting wet then I'm sorry but that disc is gone for good.

If there is a phone number on a lost disc in the woods on land than by all means call the number up and do what you can to return the disc. If someone goes diving for a disc in a pond, lake or river I'm sorry but they are the new rightful owners of the disc. Should they sell it? No. But is that disc theirs now, yeah. My brother actually goes diving for discs a few times over the summer. He's still in High School and doesn't really have the money to add to his disc collection to often so this is how he does it. He also takes some of the discs that he finds that he doesn't like throwing and actually gives them to people who are learning the sport of disc golf. If you leave a disc in the water because your to afraid of getting wet then I'm sorry but that disc is gone for good.

Sorry but I don't think your thinking is right.
If my name is on my disc it is mine. As I stated before, how can you tell how long my disc has been there? Maybe I just went by this hole, ended up in the water, want to finish my round before I go for a swim. I have ended up in the lake at a course here in town, and waited until the end of the day to get my chest-waders to retrieve it. This lake turns what we call "Shrek green" and is nasty. I'm not gonna walk around all day soaked with water that can actually get me very sick. Also, right now the water here in Wisconsin is near freezing and the air is at or below, again, I'm not gonna go in the water until I amready to leave the course.So, if you happen to get there before I do, I lose my disc?? I don't agree at all. I believe your brother should call the inked disc owners at least. Like many have said, alot of people will probably let him keep their discs, others may not, but the right thing to do is try. Respect others in the sport we are all trying to enjoy and develop. Nowadays high schoolers have NO idea what that means though, and I doubt you do.

I just love how this subject brings out the cereal box lawyers who think that finders keepers is irrefutable legal precedent because they say so on an internet forum.

I also love how threads on this subject are sort of like Wile E. Coyote's attempts to catch the Road Runner. It never ends well, and yet we keep on trying. What do they call doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results again?

I'll make 2 attempts to reach the owner of the disc, 1 text, and 1 call leaving my number. If they don't answer, it's on them. If I find a destroyed disc (not pdga legal destroyed) I won't even call em, I just have a feeling they left it there on purpose at that point.

I've lost like 12 of my discs (some of which my friends lost using them), not a single one returned. I guess Karma hasn't been in my favor for a good while. Lol

I also love how threads on this subject are sort of like Wile E. Coyote's attempts to catch the Road Runner. It never ends well, and yet we keep on trying. What do they call doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results again?

Insanity but I think stupidity is more fitting.

Also, I did not see the littering twist coming out of nowhere. Kudos for that unexpected twist to a remake of an oldie but a goody.

There is a hole on a course up in norcal that is literally next to the ocean. If the tide is up and the wind is blowing and your disc sails right the disc is in the pacific. Now we have gone out at low tide and actually found some discs (which we returned to the rightful owners). Plus i bet most state laws you have to prove state of mind in the commission of a crime; knowingly or willingly. So the law version of littering does not apply whatsoever. "I did not know i was throwing it into the water."

i feel like i wasted my time though writing this post. If your disc goes in the drink and you want it back, most people make an effort to do so. If you abandon it and you get a call, man that caller is a hero, do him right back. The rest will show up on another forum

Sorry but I don't think your thinking is right.
If my name is on my disc it is mine.

This is clearly a divided issue among many disc golfers. If I lost a disc personally in the water and didn't retrieve it that day and got a phone call from a diver I would probably just laugh on the phone and say "Man, you went through all that effort the disc is yours". And the only reason I would leave the course with a disc in the water is if I was ok with never seeing that disc again.

As I stated before, how can you tell how long my disc has been there? Maybe I just went by this hole, ended up in the water, want to finish my round before I go for a swim.

From just talking to my brother it usually takes him an hour or two of looking around to completely "comb" the bottom so your probably going to see the diver if you go back at the end of your round.

Respect others in the sport we are all trying to enjoy and develop. Nowadays high schoolers have NO idea what that means though, and I doubt you do.

Actually my brother and I both know about trying to enjoy and develop this sport. We both bring out first timers on a regular basis and we both teach the "proper etiquette" such as calling/texting the numbers on the back of inked discs. We also tell them that when a disc goes into the water either you go swimming or you can count that disc up for a loss.

Of all the disc golfers I have talked to this is what they all believe in.

I do love the "litter" defense. Generally, litter cleanup crews throw away litter. Don't know that I've ever seen them throw away the discs they find "littering" the course.

How noble of some to keep (and thus recycle) that litter!

^You can redeem aluminum cans for money so people that pick up litter most certainly DO make money for doing it.

Also,
What do you say to a disc diving card mate?
"Got any Eagles for sale?"

I texted the one number and included a photo of the disc but never got a response so I traded it to a friend.

I hope you were at least sure it was a cell number?

I'd say if you're going to feel ethically justified in having called a number and then keep the disc, you'd better actually call it! And leave at least a voice message, at least once.

I do love the "litter" defense. Generally, litter cleanup crews throw away litter. Don't know that I've ever seen them throw away the discs they find "littering" the course.

How noble of some to keep (and thus recycle) that litter!

Jesus saves, they recycle!

I love the people who say "If you don't go into the water and get it, you abandon it and it's the divers now".

It is against the law to go in the water by me. So i'm supposed to break the law or else I abandon my disc? Something about that doesn't pass my logic test. Especially when it is stated that the club/shop will dredge and return discs for a $2 finders fee (to pay for the hours of dredging, the equipment to drege, etc)

Then folks go in and do it themselves and steal all our discs. Just had that happen yesterday after assisting with the club dredging which netted 36 discs. Only to find out a week before someone got 70-80 and hasn't called a SINGLE PERSON, and from the rumors isn't planning on it at all. (I'm heading to PIAS at lunch to see if any of mine are in there.

It depends which run of can I find. 1st run is going in my bag, 2nd and 3rd I throw back.

Shame shame shame.

At least the disc divers clean up all the litter they find, not just disc-litter.

I texted the one number and included a photo of the disc but never got a response so I traded it to a friend.
How did you determine that the phone number you texted does indeed accept text/picture messages?

I know some older players with old school cell phones that only make and receive calls. Better luck next time. :\

This reminds me of the last disc I lost....not even a week later, I got a call on a Champ Valk that I could not dig out of the water even though we had a good idea of where it went in.

I got a text from someone claiming to know me although I did not know him. I replied and told the guy that I would be happy to pay him $10 or give him plastic of his choice for the effort when I get back in town.

After I got back (2 days later) I made at least 20 total attempts to call/text. No reply at all. :wall::wall::wall:

there are kids on Toronto Island, not even disc golfers, that know where to go diving. they usually show up at tourneys with a table full of discs they've retrieved and sell them for $5; to anyone. i say good on them. If i don't go diving for a disc I consider it gone and would never expect anyone that went diving for it to automatically just give it back.

Latest posts